[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Switching local league to PPR

Ralph Furley

We voted to make a change to a PPR for next season at the draft. We have been using bonus points for long TDs the last 8 years, :D and I have finally convinced them to make the switch. I was wondering if anyone has PPR scoring rules that I could use for next season. I'd like to see what other long established leagues use that has been successful. I guess I could browse through the BOTH forums and do some snooping, but I'd feel better knowing what has worked and what hasn't. Thanks everyone!

I'm in one league that awards 1/2 point per catch, any position. Seems to works, adds some fantasy value to the K. Faulk / D. Mason types without skewing the scoring too much in favor of WRs. Not sure what else you may be looking for in terms of "PPR rules", since in my experience you either get points per catch or you don't., not too much complexity involved, unless you are looking to do something like 1.5 PPR for TE's, 1 PPR for WRs & 0.5 PPR for RBs in order to try & really change the value of some of the position players.

I'm in one league that awards 1/2 point per catch, any position. Seems to works, adds some fantasy value to the K. Faulk / D. Mason types without skewing the scoring too much in favor of WRs. Not sure what else you may be looking for in terms of "PPR rules", since in my experience you either get points per catch or you don't., not too much complexity involved, unless you are looking to do something like 1.5 PPR for TE's, 1 PPR for WRs & 0.5 PPR for RBs in order to try & really change the value of some of the position players.

Yeah, thats what I'm talking about. Is it better to give different points to different positions, or just make it 1 point each? I know many leagues do different things, and I just want to see what works best.

Yeah, thats what I'm talking about. Is it better to give different points to different positions, or just make it 1 point each? I know many leagues do different things, and I just want to see what works best.

One PPR regardless of position works great. Trying to weight positions is screwy.

Just 1/PPR. That other BS is too busy IMO. I like how it brings the RB importance down (all TDs=6 helps w/QBs a little too).

If the league is a .1/6 league, I'd strongly suggest graduated scoring by position - 0.5 ppr for RB, 1.5 ppr for TEs, and 1.0 ppr for all other positions.

Your league will really like how it de-emphasizes the stud RB theory as well as making TEs more valuable so that they become more than afterthoughts in the draft.

Hard to believe with all the sophisticated scoring systems that are very simple to implement & use that are out there that people still want to use 1 ppr for all positions.

If the league is a .1/6 league, I'd strongly suggest graduated scoring by position - 0.5 ppr for RB, 1.5 ppr for TEs, and 1.0 ppr for all other positions.

Your league will really like how it de-emphasizes the stud RB theory as well as making TEs more valuable so that they become more than afterthoughts in the draft.

Hard to believe with all the sophisticated scoring systems that are very simple to implement & use that are out there that people still want to use 1 ppr for all positions.

Agreed. When we went to PPR the goal was to increase the value of WRs so that the league wasn't so dominated by RBs.

For years I fought to add a TE requirement to my local with no success. When we first implemented PPR in our league I was able to implement a graduated scale where RBs get .5, WRs get 1 and TEs get 2. At that time TEs were the same as WRs. The team that won the superbowl that year did it with 2 stud TEs. The next year I was able to get the TE position added ... but we dropped the TE ppr down to match the WR. Even at 1 PPR for WRs and TEs ... the top TEs are more valuable. This allows owners that don't get the top stud RBs or WRs to get a top stud TE in the draft.

In another league RBs get .2, WRs 1.5 and TEs 2.

In these leagues you simply can not ignore the TE position.

This is all interesting discusssion. So how do you handle your yardage scoring? In my local, we give 1 pt every 10 yards for RB, WR, and TE. QBs get 1 pt every 25 yards. I'm guessing this will have to modified as well.

This is old school scoring. "Performance" scoring awards 0.1 point for every yard. This rewards every yard gained and lowers the chance of ties. Giving 6 points for a passing TD is too much, unless you don't reward passing yards enough. Also, kickers should get 3 points for a FG, and every yard above 30 is 0.1 extra, so a 45 yard FG is worth 4.5.

BTW - Congrats on making the change... not easy to make changes to existing leagues, especially if it's a keeper league.

go to MFL and create a new league and you can see what their packeged scoring systems are. Most will use reception points and you can see what other scoring systems look like.,

It is almost always 1 point per reception regardless of position. I once read a great book that reviewed reception points that I would recommend since it had an entire chapter about reception points. I think it was Fantasy Football: The Next Level. Yeah, I think that was the book.

Here is our local- it's also IDP, but maybe this is useful- IMO decimal scoring is way better too- you get credit for every yard and the liklihood of ties is just about nil.

SCORING:

DECIMAL BASED SCORING WILL BE USED IN ALL CATEGORIES EXCEPT FIELD GOAL KICKING.

Quarterbacks Scoring:

ALL TD's - 6 pts. each

Passing Yds - .04 pts/per yard (1 pt each 25 yards)

Rushing/receiving Yds - .1 pt/per yard (1 pt each 10 yards)

Receptions- 1 pt. Per reception

2 Point conversions - 2 pts (rushing, receiving or throwing)

Running Back/Receiver Scoring:

ALL TD's - 6 pts. each

Rushing Yds/receiving yards - .1 pt/per yard (1 pt each 10 yards per

category)

Place Kicker Scoring:

0 - 39 yd Field Goal - 3 pts.

40 - 49 yd Field Goal - 4 pts.

50+ yd Field goal - 5 pts.

P.A.T. - 1 pt.

ALL TD's - 6 pts. each

Rushing Yds/receiving yards - .1 pt/per yard (1 pt each 10 yards per

category)

Individual Defense Scoring (for all LB, DL, DB):

Defensive TD (int. return, fumble return) - 6 pts.

Solo Tackle- 1 pt.

Assisted Tackle- .05 pt.

Interception - 4 pts.

Sacks - 4 pts.

Safety - 2 pts.

Fumble Recovery- 2 pts.

Special Teams Unit Scoring:

Punt/Kick return for a Touchdown - 6 pts.

Blocked FG/EP/Punt- 2 pts.

Kick Return Yardage- .04 pts/per yard (1 pt each 25 yards)

Punt Return Yardage- .04 pts/per yard (1 pt each 25 yards)

We don't really give a strict "points per reception", but instead give a "points per touch"...

YARDAGE POINTS:

0.1pt for all rushing and receiving yards

0.05 pts for all passing yards

SCORING POINTS:

6pts for all TDs

-3pts for all INTs

2pts for all 2pt Conversions

1 pt for all PATs

3pts for FGs <40 yds

4pts for FGs <50 yds

5pts for FGs >49 yds

TOUCHES POINTS:

0.2 pts for all rushing attempts, regardless of position

0.2 pts for all receptions by RBs

1.5 pts for all receptions by WRs

2.0 pts for all receptions by TEs

What are the results? Here they are (2007 is through the first 15 weeks, excluding tonights game):

Top 10 players:

2005: 1 QB, 5 RBs, 3 WRs, 1 TE

2006: 4 QBs, 5 RBs, 1 WRs, 0 TEs

2007: 4 QBs, 2 RBs, 3 WRs, 1 TE

AVERAGE: 3.0 QBs, 4.0 RBs, 2.3 WRs, 0.7 TE

Top 20 players:

2005: 3 QBs, 6 RBs, 10 WRs, 1 TE

2006: 7 QBs, 7 RBs, 6 WRs, 0 TEs

2007: 8 QBs, 2 RBs, 8 WRs, 2 TEs

AVERAGE: 6.0 QBs, 5.0 RBs, 8.0 WRs, 1.0 TE

Top 60 players:

2005: 15 QBs, 14 RBs, 24 WRs, 7 TEs

2006: 17 QBs, 16 RBs, 23 WRs, 4 TEs

2007: 17 QBs, 13 RBs, 24 WRs, 6 TEs

AVERAGE: 16.3 QBs, 14.3 RBs, 23.7 WRs, 5.7 TE

Top 100 players:

2005: 23 QBs, 25 RBs, 40 WRs, 12 TEs

2006: 23 QBs, 28 RBs, 37 WRs, 12 TEs

2007: 19 QBs, 26 RBs, 44 WRs, 11 TEs

AVERAGE: 21.7 QBs, 26.3 RBs, 40.3 WRs, 11.7 TE

This is old school scoring. "Performance" scoring awards 0.1 point for every yard. This rewards every yard gained and lowers the chance of ties. Giving 6 points for a passing TD is too much, unless you don't reward passing yards enough. Also, kickers should get 3 points for a FG, and every yard above 30 is 0.1 extra, so a 45 yard FG is worth 4.5.

I didn't pick up on the whole pt scoring. Thanks for catching that, T40.

I agree, go to decimal scoring & then graduate your reception points. The result will be a much more fun & satisfying experience for most owners.

Maybe we ought to take this opportunity to talk about flex lineups, too...

Plot it out using last year's stats and what you want is a mix of RB/QB/WR/TE in the top 20.

You want that for value, but you aren't likely to get it for actual points scored. If you try to modify your scoring system in such ways that each position is scoring relatively the same amount of points, you'll just be pulling your hair out as you end up with wackiness like .15 per rush yard, .23 per receiving yard and .57 per pass yard and other wackiness, etc.

Just come up with a system you like, check the basic values to make sure the top 20 or so is not completely dominated by one position (like say 12-15 RBs in the top 20) and go from there. The most effective way to affect value is to modify starting requirements, either by increasing or decreasing positions or implementing flex spots.

You want that for value, but you aren't likely to get it for actual points scored. If you try to modify your scoring system in such ways that each position is scoring relatively the same amount of points, you'll just be pulling your hair out as you end up with wackiness like .15 per rush yard, .23 per receiving yard and .57 per pass yard and other wackiness, etc.

Just come up with a system you like, check the basic values to make sure the top 20 or so is not completely dominated by one position (like say 12-15 RBs in the top 20) and go from there. The most effective way to affect value is to modify starting requirements, either by increasing or decreasing positions or implementing flex spots.

I agree completely with BC. While QBs and RBs are the most important players in the league (and a good RB can be just as important to a NFL O as a good QB), they shouldn't hog the entire top 20. There are some stud WRs who impact the game significantly & ought to make a top 20 FF list. I like a break down of something like a top 20 consisting of say 8 QBs, 8 RBs, & 4 WRs, with a WR being capable of sneaking into the top 6 with an incredible season and with a TE being able to sneak in with an exceptionally prolific season (in other words, he is as important to his team as a WR and puts up superb numbers compared to other TEs).

That kind of scoring system takes some serious research, testing, and some not-so-conventional scoring parameters.

But a .1/6;.04/4 system with 0.5/1/1.5 ppr is a very simple way to get scoring splits so that RBs & QBs don't dominate the top 20 completely, which makes for more interesting draft/starting possibilities when paired with a flex starting system.

Did either of you read my post above?

In this 10 team league (most teams start QB / 2RB / 4WR / TE / PK), each team should be able to have a starting lineup filled with guys who are somewhere in the top 100 (excepting out PK), plus their backup QB should also be in the top 100...all the while, the top 20 is a pretty good mix of players across QB, RB and WR. Also, each team should be able to have four non-QBs in the top 60...making each week a good competition where no one player can totally dominate the league.

Specifically, the guy that won the SB two years ago had the #3 overall highest scoring player leading the way for his team and last year, the highest rated player on the SB winner was the guy who was 10th overall in scoring. The two teams (probably) heading to the league SB this year will be led by the #3 overall scorer and the #8 overall scorer.

Our league averages (on a per team basis), 2.2 QBs, 2.6 RBs, 4.0 WRs, 1.2 TEs in the top 100 / team over the last three years.

It's a pretty competitve league and teams are able to build a variety of types of teams (one guy starts two TEs every week while several of us have done it once or twice each season, plus several of us have started RB / 5 WR from time to time).

This is old school scoring.
:D

"Performance" scoring awards 0.1 point for every yard.
"Performance" scoring means giving pts for yards. It does not set the numbers at any exact level.

This rewards every yard gained and lowers the chance of ties.
True, but I could never get past the dorkiness of scores like 75.2 to 68.7, and IMO the gain/loss in those small fractions is too small to care (and balances out anyway).

Giving 6 points for a passing TD is too much,
ah BS. I have done 3, 4 and 6 pts/passing TD and it only bumps up the QBs a little.

go to MFL and create a new league and you can see what their packeged scoring systems are. Most will use reception points and you can see what other scoring systems look like.,

It is almost always 1 point per reception regardless of position. I once read a great book that reviewed reception points that I would recommend since it had an entire chapter about reception points. I think it was Fantasy Football: The Next Level. Yeah, I think that was the book.

No advertising on FF sites dammit

:D