[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Switching local league to PPR

Ralph Furley

I've been the commissioner in my league for 10 years now and we actually tweaked our scoring rules almost every year for the first 6 or 7 years. Our rules have actually been pretty stable for the last 3 years and everyone seems to like the system for its fairness and balance.

The rules are:

All WR's, TE's and RB's get 0.1 points per yard earned. QB's get .0125 points per yard passing (equates to 1pt per 25 yards). We do not award any yardage points for skill players that also earn special teams yardage.

All rushing and receiving TD's are 6 points and passing TD's are 4 points.

TE's recieve 1 point per catch, WR's receive 0.5 point per catch, and RB's get no points for receptions.

Interceptions and Fumbles are -1 points

Kickers get 1 pt for PAT, 3 points for 0-39 YD FG, 4 points for 40-49 yd FG, and 5 points for 50+ yd FG

We use team defense/ST scoring, but it's pretty standard so I won't list all the rules.

We have 14 teams in our league, so the waiver wire is pretty thin. As a result, we only require 1 RB and 1 WR and then allow the owner to flex between a WR or RB for the remaining 2 skill spots. Everyone has to start a TE.

We also switched to double headers about 3 years ago and everyone seems to like it much better than the 1 game a week system. We allow owners to start different lineups in each game as well, which provides more flexability to owners based on matchups in each game. Owners are also allowed to start or bench players up to 5 minutes prior to the players kick off time.

Our league has no playoff system. The league is pretty high dollar ($5000 in the pot right now) and the consensus was that the best team across the entire season should win and not some crap team that limps into the playoff and lucks out a win. There's just too much money involved to reward a mid-tier team that happens to luck up one game in the playoff. So, we payout the top 4 spots for best overall record and most total points scored. This model truly rewards the best teams for the entire season of work.

Our scoring system seems to provide a very good balance between RB's, WR's and TE's. The positions aren't exactly equal, but the top players tend to be very close in point production and the points per catch, combined with our flex skill rules, give owners a lot of options to help further level the playing field. Here are the year to date fantasy point totals for the top QB, WR, and TE.

Brady - 361 pts (Brady is an anomoly this year so I am also listing Romo since he represents the typical top QB performance)

Romo - 299 pts

Moss - 291 pts

Tomlinson - 277 pts

Witten - 236

go to MFL and create a new league and you can see what their packeged scoring systems are. Most will use reception points and you can see what other scoring systems look like.,

It is almost always 1 point per reception regardless of position. I once read a great book that reviewed reception points that I would recommend since it had an entire chapter about reception points. I think it was Fantasy Football: The Next Level. Yeah, I think that was the book.

Thanks for that idea. I've taken a look at the different scoring systems. What I'd like to find out is who the top performers are under that system. I think I need to load rosters to do that though, unless I'm missing something. Thanks again!