[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Would you split the pot?

detlef

Splitting the pot  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Would you or have you made a deal with the other finalist to split the pot?

• Never, that's for feminine hygene products
    • Like hedging the last bet on a winning parlay, common sense
    • It depends on how I feel about my chances

Just curious. I've actually never done this or proposed this. Of course, I've never been offered it either. Frankly, I'm surprised because I was in the finals of a high dollar league a few years back. $2500 to the winner and $600 to 2nd place. I have to think the other guy would have gladly agreed before hand to just split it closer down the middle (maybe 1800/1300 or something).

Just curious. I've actually never done this or proposed this. Of course, I've never been offered it either. Frankly, I'm surprised because I was in the finals of a high dollar league a few years back. $2500 to the winner and $600 to 2nd place. I have to think the other guy would have gladly agreed before hand to just split it closer down the middle (maybe 1800/1300 or something).

I always offer to split the pot...I would rather take the guaranteed money and play for pride...It's stressful enough to watch your team collapse, I don't need money adding to it...

split 50/50? no.

my league has no 2nd place money. so its up to the finalists to compromise.

i'm going into the finals for the 3rd year in a row. i ended up losing the last two times.

both times i had a deal to guarantee 35% of the cut to the losing team.....doing the same this year.

50/50 split when there's 2nd place money in the rules is ridiculous though. something's gotta be on the line besides pride.

I remember before that high dollar final telling my wife, "Depending on how this weekend goes, I'm either going to remodel the kitchen or build us a new bed." Going into Monday night, I had A Green and he had Favre and we were basically tied. It was the Oakland game where Favre had like 4 TDs and 300 yds by half time. A Green actually had a pretty nice game but not like that. I think I could have lived with myself had I "only" won $1800 rather than $2500.

Interesting scenario.

If you were talking abouy $250 & $60, I'd say hell no - play it out. But $2500 & $600? That's a lot of jack for something I consider a hobby - at least in my mind it is.

I'd be tempted to take the a tasty morsel way out & split it, then play the game for pride. The value of being guaranteed $1550 vs the risk of gaining another $950 vs losing $950 on the outcome of one FF game just doesn't make sense to me.

Interesting scenario.

If you were talking abouy $250 & $60, I'd say hell no - play it out. But $2500 & $600? That's a lot of jack for something I consider a hobby - at least in my mind it is.

I'd be tempted to take the a tasty morsel way out & split it, then play the game for pride. The value of being guaranteed $1550 vs the risk of gaining another $950 vs losing $950 on the outcome of one FF game just doesn't make sense to me.

Well said.

Interesting scenario.

That's what I was thinking. I've been offered it before in both football and baseball leagues. I accepted once because I thought I was badly overmatched (and I was right), but turned down every other offer. But never have the stakes been as high as $2500 vs $600. That offer I would probably accept.

An interesting followup poll would be "how would you feel if the two teams competing for the championship decided to split the pot before the game". I'm tempted to make this offer to a guy in one of my leagues. However, I fear the wrath and ridicule we'd face from our league mates.

Whoa, back that train up. If the two of you are set to be in the money, and the amount is already defined (say the championship game), if the two of you agree to distribute the winnings that both of you earned differently - that is entirely your perrogative & anyone else needs to keep their nose out of it.

Full disclosure - I've never taken or made one of those offers, but then I don't play FF for enough money that it would sway me in that direction (hell, I don't make the championship nearly enough, either).

An interesting followup poll would be "how would you feel if the two teams competing for the championship decided to split the pot before the game". I'm tempted to make this offer to a guy in one of my leagues. However, I fear the wrath and ridicule we'd face from our league mates.

I'd have a pretty good answer for anyone who gave me crap about it. "Make the freaking finals yourself and then you can do what ever the hell you want with the money. This is between me and the other dude that doesn't suck as bad as you."

In my local the year that Emmitt set the record for TDs I was rolling over all opponents, I was literally crushing them. My team had one slip up in the final game of the regular season and that was my only regular season loss.

I had a first round bye.

Crushed my opponent in the 2nd round.

The other team in the SB offered a split ... his first offer was 50-50. I declined. He countered with 60-40. I declined.

I proceeded to crush his team to win my ONLY SB in the 15 year history of the league (although I have been there several other times).

Tonight if I can survive Desmond Clark I will go to another SB having only lost 1 game on the year ... to the other team in the SB. This year the SB winner will get $391.50 and the loser $156.60. A 50-50 split would give each team $274.05 or $117.45 less than the 1st prize. Should the other team make the offer I would have to consider it but would like turn it down (I would not make the offer). The bragging rights just aren't the same if you split the pot before hand.

Like others have already said ... if the last 2 owners standing choose to split the pot in a manner that is agreeable to both then the other owners NOT IN THE SUPER BOWL have nothing to say about it.

Having said that ... anybody in our league that did it and won the game would ALWAYS catch smack about his lack of faith in the ability of his team to finish the job, ESPECIALLY if he won it going away.

I'd have a pretty good answer for anyone who gave me crap about it. "Make the freaking finals yourself and then you can do what ever the hell you want with the money. This is between me and the other dude that doesn't suck as bad as you."

+1 :D

KO'd

I would probably have to seriously consider splitting the pot if the amount was as large as $2500 winner $600 loser...in our league we also have a trophy - so even if you split the pot you'd get bragging rights and a trophy if you win.

KO'd

The league has defined how the money will be awarded. That is what you signed up for, that is what you should live with. Splitting is at best low brow, and really violates the league rules. I spit upon those who split! :D

So fine ... write one check to the SB winner, another check to the loser. Then they can divy the funds as they see fit, based on their agreement.

They have simply asked the commissioner to hold their funds and allocate them based on their agreement. Getting the commissioner involved before hand prevents owners from making agreements and then backing out when they win ... thereby preserving the league.

The league has defined how the money will be awarded. That is what you signed up for, that is what you should live with. Splitting is at best low brow, and really violates the league rules. I spit upon those who split! :D

I can understand the argument about it cheapening the victory, but is this really why you wouldn't do it? Because it's against the rules? Do you ever J-walk? I would think a more logical manner in looking at the split defined by the league as what each person is entitled to if he chooses, not some dogmatic law telling another man what he can or can't do with his money.

All the other rules are there to ensure fair competition. No sketchy trades, setting your lineup by kick-off, etc. How does this effect anyone else?