[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Potential scoring hassle looms...

detlef

Every freaking year my local league haggles over scoring before the draft. Every year we end up settling on some version that people are basically happy with. Because I never get all the things I propose, I tend to forget all the nuances.

I've always been a fan of blocked kicks counting for D/ST but honestly didn't know whether they were counted all year or not. At any rate, it appears they don't count for anything according to our site rules. My opponent had NE D this week and is "sort of wondering" if he's due any points for his blocked kick. Now, without him getting those points, I need 3 from AD. If he goes off, it's not even worth bothering with because I would imagine that we wouldn't have counted them for any more than a TO (3pts).

None the less, what think you all about this? He's of the opinion that we should have been getting them all along. I'm not one to savor a win based on technicalities but honestly can't remember if that's what we decided upon or, more importantly if we should start adding them in all of a sudden. The league finished pretty tightly bunched and had a ton of close games. Who knows if either of us would have even been playing each other in the play-offs at all had they been counted.

Check your scoring system. If there are points awarded for blocked kicks, then your league has implemented them. If there isn't, your league has not been using them. Now isn't the time to change either way.

I have never understood why FF leagues don't award D pts for blocked kicks - they can be hugh plays that swing the game wildly, even moreso than a long TD run or pass at times. Don't even get me started about only 2 pts in FF for a team D getting a safety.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Check your scoring system. If there are points awarded for blocked kicks, then your league has implemented them. If there isn't, your league has not been using them.

I have never understood why FF leagues don't award D pts for blocked kicks - they can be hugh plays that swing the game wildly, even moreso than a long TD run or pass at times. Don't even get me started about only 2 pts in FF for a team D getting a safety.

Dude, I hear you on the safety. Don't get me started on shut-outs not being worth at least 15 points. There is no single way that your team can assure it will not lose a game like your D pitching a shut-out. That should be worth as much as a QB throwing for 350 and 4 TDs (which has little bearing on whether his team will win) or even a RB going for 200 and 3 TDs (better odds of his team winning than the QB situation but not the lock that a shut out is).

While your not getting me started. Don't get me started on why some leagues don't penalize your D for allowing 30 + points.

Check your scoring system. If there are points awarded for blocked kicks, then your league has implemented them. If there isn't, your league has not been using them. Now isn't the time to change either way.

Once again, the site shows very clearly that we haven't given points for blocked kicks all year. Honestly, I don't know why because, like you, I think we should. However, I pretty much hate the way our league scores Ds entirely, so I wouldn't be surprised if this got brought up and shut down or not. I suppose my issue is whether it should be counted in this game when it hasn't been counted all year.

Once again, the site shows very clearly that we haven't given points for blocked kicks all year. Honestly, I don't know why because, like you, I think we should. However, I pretty much hate the way our league scores Ds entirely, so I wouldn't be surprised if this got brought up and shut down or not. I suppose my issue is whether it should be counted in this game when it hasn't been counted all year.

if it hasn't been, i don't don't see how you can now....

to me it seems like it's either:

- recalculate every week and reprocess all results (would prob result in re-seeding).

or

- let it stand as it has been scored all year.

We don't score points for blocked kicks. Call me naive, but I wasn't aware that it was an official NFL stat. What happens if someone partially blocks the kick (i.e. gets a hand on it an it only goes 5 yards)? Does it count for anything?

We don't score points for blocked kicks. Call me naive, but I wasn't aware that it was an official NFL stat. What happens if someone partially blocks the kick (i.e. gets a hand on it an it only goes 5 yards)? Does it count for anything?

Good question. I do know they track blocked FGs and PATs. Well, at least when they mention missed FGs in the box score they say why (Wide Left, Wide Right, Short, or Blocked) Similarly, when they list PATs in the scoring summary, they'll say why the kick missed if it did.

The punt thing is a different story though, isn't it?

Good question. And the answer I got a year or two ago is the reason I don't really care for giving pts for blocked kicks.

I had the Giants D and was watching their game. A punt/fg was partially blocked and clearly went past the line of scrimmage 6-7 yards. I waited until the early games were over for MFL to credit my D with these 4 pts. After not seeing it I emailed MFL to ask if they knew why. They responded within a half hour, telling me it depends on how the NFL rules it, and generally if a partially blocked or deflected kick crosses the scrimmage line, then it is not considered a blocked kick. So I wouldn't get pts this time.

Later on that night, during the Sunday night game, I noticed I was now getting credited for a blocked kick. So generally, sometimes they count them and sometimes they don't? :D

Anyway....to answer the original question, you have to score this the same way it has been all year.