[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Roy Williams suspended one game

DMD

My problem is that the league is being inconsistent in their approach to the game AND to their handling of personal fouls/horse collars. I've watched other games where players have made a horse collar tackle and not been called for it. The 15 yard face mask can be every bit as dangerous as the horse collar.

No this smacks of the NFL having a personal vendetta out for Roy Williams.

They made the rule because of what he did to TO and other players.

What do you expect?

I agree with the fact that it does go uncalled a lot but in Roys case the 1 game is deserved..Although football is a dangerous game that tackle can end a career

:D

Though I agree the incident warranted a penalty, and perhaps even an ejection, and definitely a fine, I question whether a suspension is warranted. That' s a tough pill, and a precendent-setting measure. Suppose a player is going all-out, using every ounce of energy in his body to make a play, and he dives to make a tackle and inadvertantly latches onto the back of a jersey. Is he suspended?

Perhaps it has something to do with William's history....and the fact that he was the cause of the rule in the first place.

Just seems a tough for a team trying to secure home-field advantage that is in must-win mode. But I guess penalties are meant to be harsh.

It has NOTHING to do with grabbing the jersey. It's about grabbing inside the shoulder pads, then swinging your entire body putting all that force on a player's lower legs in a completely opposing direction. It's dangerous, reckless, and completely unnecessary. I'm actually pissed that it took 4 years, an ended career, and 4 season ending injuries to FINALLY draw a suspension.

Here's to the new commish for finally having the balls to do it! :D

To me this rule says, If cannot try to tackle a player from behind. If the player gets ahead of you, you should stop chasing him and let him go on his way. You can only tackle from the from or the side, not from behind....

You've never seen a player tackled from behind that wasn't a horsecollar? Really? Is that your story?

:D

Nope, but the moment that player makes a desperation move to tackle from behind, there is a good chance it's going to be illegal.

I dont know, jojo. When I think of a desperation move to tackle from behind, I think of a player diving for the other's feet in an attempt to trip him up. Looked to me like Williams was plenty close to get McNabb by the back of the legs and bring him down that way. Looked to me like he decided to go for the collar on him rather than take him down by wrapping his legs...

Perhaps it has something to do with William's history....and the fact that he was the cause of the rule in the first place.

Not just his playing history. If I recall correctly, when the rule was made and he was asked about it he responded with something along the lines of, I will continue to play football the way I've always played and if it draws a flag so be it. I'm a Cowboy fan and though not a fan of the rule necessarily it is a rule and he clearly abuses it.

I'm actually pissed that it took 4 years, an ended career, and 4 season ending injuries to FINALLY draw a suspension.

This is not a challenge, just a guy wanting to be educated. I remember TO. That's what started the whole thing but...???

And now for the part you won't like..... To me this rule says, If cannot try to tackle a player from behind. If the player gets ahead of you, you should stop chasing him and let him go on his way. You can only tackle from the from or the side, not from behind....

Nope, but the moment that player makes a desperation move to tackle from behind, there is a good chance it's going to be illegal.

For your sake, I'll ask you to please stop posting. You are embarrassing yourself. Badly.

Edited by Bronco Billy

The reason Williams was suspended, and very rightfully so, is that he was instigating a patently reckless & dangerous illegal tackling technique. He has disregarded the fact that it is so dangerous and has been fined for this kind of tackle 4 times in the past two seasons. The tackle is roughly equivalent in severity to tackling by the facemask.If a player repeatedly intentionally facemasked with no regard to league fines, what would you expect the league to do? Let him continue until he paralyzed someone? This is the same situation.

The fines obviously were not enough to make him change his behavior, so the league upped the ante on him. I would expect that if he were stupid enough to continue with this behavior, that his suspension will get increasingly long, until he either gets the message that he can't horse collar tackle or he is suspended out of the league.

And comparing this to a one-on-one chop block is ignorant. A player can & should be capable of protecting themselves from a chop block. There is no way for a player to protect themselves from a horse collar tackle.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I think that a suspension is justified here only in that the commissioner warned Williams that he would be suspended if it happened again this season. The commish has to back his own play.

In general I think the warning and the suspension together is dumb, but I also don't have the luxury of analyzing trends of players committing personal fouls. Maybe Williams tendency to commit them is extremely high compared to the rest of the league, and that is why the league office came down on him.

he has already been fined a couple times this year for a horse collar tackle which is why they took it to The Next Level. His problem is that he is a safety and therefore often finds himself chasing down a player. It's not like he has dirty late hits or anything. He just naturally tries to grab guys from behind and ends up holding onto the shoulder pad.

What I don't understand is why is a horse-collar tackle illegal and yet cut blocking a guy at the knees is okay? Seems inconsistent to me.

:D ahem...shameless plug...ahem...!

Just couldn't help yourself, eh DMD? :D

Edited by The Wolf

For your sake, I'll ask you to please stop posting. You are embarrassing yourself. Badly.

So now I have to post......

As I said earlier, a rule is a rule. Anyone that continues to violate it should be suspended, and he was. But I am still not a fan of the rule.....

Everybody has their own opinion... BB just likes to think his is more important then anyone elses....

No, BB doesn't think his opinion is more important than anyone else's. BB just thinks that you made an absurd and indefensible post. You clearly stated that you feel a defensive player can not make a tackle from behind without having to use a horse collar tackle, and that if a player tackled a ball carrier from behind that there was a good liklihood that it would be illegal.

That is either a ridiculously over-the-top overstatement that is so contrary to facts that it doesn't merit consideration, or it displays an alarming lack of knowledge of the game of football. Either way, a harsh rebuke was deserved.