[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

brining the bird

whoopazz

I know there is already a thread on how to do this, but Mrs. Whoop is very scepticle about me trying this for the first time on our Christmas turkey. It will be conventional roasting, but should I insist were gonna brine that thing this year? If I screw it up I'm dead. TIA for advice.

I know there is already a thread on how to do this, but Mrs. Whoop is very scepticle about me trying this for the first time on our Christmas turkey. It will be conventional roasting, but should I insist were gonna brine that thing this year? If I screw it up I'm dead. TIA for advice.

I would find it hard to belive that brining alone would "screw up" a turkey. Now, how you cook it on the other hand, makes a big difference. Just use a simple recipe for the brine like Alton Brown's and you should be all set.

Whoopazz......If you are going to brine the turkey and cook it to wow the Mrs, Try cooking the bird in an oven bag. Don't stuff it, make the stuffing on the side. In the cavity you can put a quartered onion, citrus halves (you probably would just use lemons or oranges), and some celery sticks cut into 2-3" pieces.

Bier or Det could probably give better insight as to what would be best in the cavity, but that is what I would use. he oven bag does a real good job of working with the brined bird to produce a juicy finished meal.

I brined last year's Thanksgiving bird, and I've done a roaster in a brine in the last year too. I find brining gives the meat a funny "off" flavor. However, the Shiekette and her whole family tell me they didn't notice anything. I find as long as I cook the meat to just the right internal temperature, it's juicy and delicious without the brining. I've heard people say that brine gives an off flavor if the ratios are wrong in the ingredients, but I followed the Alton Brown recipe to the letter.

Let us know how it goes.

I brined last year's Thanksgiving bird, and I've done a roaster in a brine in the last year too. I find brining gives the meat a funny "off" flavor. However, the Shiekette and her whole family tell me they didn't notice anything. I find as long as I cook the meat to just the right internal temperature, it's juicy and delicious without the brining. I've heard people say that brine gives an off flavor if the ratios are wrong in the ingredients, but I followed the Alton Brown recipe to the letter.

Let us know how it goes.

Did you forget to cool the Brine down and/or add ice so that it's not sitting at room temp ? :D

Did you forget to cool the Brine down and/or add ice so that it's not sitting at room temp ? :D

+1

Chill the brine and then add ice to it once you add the bird. I let it soak for around 6 hours.

I only add aromatics to the cavity. Rosemary, onion and citrus are all good. I also wipe the bird down with melted butter.

First 30 minutes should be a hellfire in your oven, then bring it down to around 350 for the rest until the breast is 160-161 degrees.

I also foil the breast after the first 30 minutes and that is the only time the oven is ever open.

I pretty much follow A. Brown's instruction to a T and it makes a damn fine bird.

EDIT : For the brine I just bought a 10 gallon pail from the hardware store and made sure it was clean.

I put foil over it while it soaks and leave it on the kitchen counter.

Edited by SuperCharger

Let us know how it goes.

I'm really not sure how you got an off flavor. I won't roast or smoke a turkey without brining. I throw in different herbs as the mood hits but there I always include garlic, peppercorns and brown sugar.

I had some results like SheikYerbut. We found the turkey to salty. We very much prefered the traditional turkey that I made at the same time. I must have done something wrong and I won't give up but I am not going to play with my holiday dinner this time.

Zero :D The Mrs. saw sheiks and skippys posts and freaked. But the turkey was great anyway (see other thread). I'll try it when we're not having guests.

Sorry for that. :D I was really interested to see how it turned out. I still think that I must have done something wrong as I just don't see how anyone would like what I made but who knows?

Sorry for that. :D I was really interested to see how it turned out. I still think that I must have done something wrong as I just don't see how anyone would like what I made but who knows?

No worries, she was nervous about trying it for the first time with guests coming over. She calls the shots for entertaining. Around here we refer to her as "chief dick". :D

Zero :D The Mrs. saw sheiks and skippys posts and freaked. But the turkey was great anyway (see other thread). I'll try it when we're not having guests.

I'm sorry I posted then. . .I'm always in favor of experimentation. Obviously, I did my first ever brine on Thanksgiving, throwing caution and experience to the wind.

I'm sorry I posted then. . .I'm always in favor of experimentation. Obviously, I did my first ever brine on Thanksgiving, throwing caution and experience to the wind.

+1

Just did it for the first time this Thanksgiving. To rave reviews by the way.

I have read on a couple of sites to be careful not to oversalt the brine. And definitely don't need to add more to the bird prior to eating. Maybe the brown sugar I used offset some of the saltiness.

Too many people seem to be really have with a brined bird. I am going to give it another try.

Pud - did you taste the mix that you were going to soak the bird in before you tossed the bird in? If you did, did it taste really salty? Mine did and infact I almost could not taste the honey at all and what I did taste I did not like. Maybe my mixture was bad.

Too many people seem to be really have with a brined bird. I am going to give it another try.

Pud - did you taste the mix that you were going to soak the bird in before you tossed the bird in? If you did, did it taste really salty? Mine did and infact I almost could not taste the honey at all and what I did taste I did not like. Maybe my mixture was bad.

I did not taste the mixture at all. I simply threw that big mofo in there and hoped for the best. Basic recipe but was very well received.

I did not taste the mixture at all. I simply threw that big mofo in there and hoped for the best. Basic recipe but was very well received.

That's the thing with salt, when used right, it should add a fullness to the flavor without tasting salty. But you sure notice if it ISN'T there.

Brining the bird actually saved Christmas for me this year. The combo of a smaller bird and my oven's wonky temp had that turkey done in record time. By the time I got the other dishes I was working on together ("double" garlic mashed potatoes, Green beans sauteed w/ onions, proscuitto and chanterelle mushrooms.) and noticed the bird's internal temperature, it should have been overdone and dry as a bone. But, as I has brined it, it still came out juicy and succulent. Viva la brine!

A question for the folks who had noticed an off flavor: where you using Kosher salt, or iodized table salt? I find that kosher provides a more mellow "saltiness", so maybe that's the answer. I have probably brined a dozen birds over the years using the Cook's Illustrated recipe, and never had any flavor issues.

Edited by Bonehand