[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pizza w/ Anchovies

Egret

I worked at a pizza place while in college. After awhile, you get sick of regular pizzas. We'd make our own dough and toppings. We'd also try different toppings. Anchovies were something that we all thought we'd hate, but they tasted pretty good on pizza.

We went out to a pizza restaurant tonight for dinner. My wife asked what I wanted on our pizza. I told her that we were getting individual pizzas and she'd know why once I ordered. I ordered a pizza with anchovies, green peppers, and onions. I haven't had anchovies in years. Still great on pizza. I don't know why they get such a bad rap.

Anyone else like 'em?

I love anchovies. I ate a ton of pickled white anchovies while I was in Spain. A caesar salad without enough anchovies tastes freaking lame. If you've never used whole salt-packed anchovies, you need to get a hold of some. Soak them in water for a few minutes and peel each of the fillets off the spine. They're so much better than the usual ones you find.

BTW, you're anchovy, onion, pepper combo sounds really, really tasty.

Also, saute anchovies, garlic, and chili flake in good olive oil and either toss some pasta or cook some blanched broccoli rabe in it. Serve the latter with a steak and all is good. Even better if you make some garlic, anchovy butter and smear it on said steak.

OK, I'm on a roll. Anchovies are also what fish sauce is made of, so they're rather important to the flavors of Southeast Asia. Since we do sort of an Asian fusion at Jujube, they're a nice bridge ingredient to marry Italian and Southeast Asian flavors.

Edited by detlef

I love anchovies. I ate a ton of pickled white anchovies while I was in Spain. A caesar salad without enough anchovies tastes freaking lame. If you've never used whole salt-packed anchovies, you need to get a hold of some. Soak them in water for a few minutes and peel each of the fillets off the spine. They're so much better than the usual ones you find.

BTW, you're anchovy, onion, pepper combo sounds really, really tasty.

Also, saute anchovies, garlic, and chili flake in good olive oil and either toss some pasta or cook some blanched broccoli rabe in it. Serve the latter with a steak and all is good. Even better if you make some garlic, anchovy butter and smear it on said steak.

OK, I'm on a roll. Anchovies are also what fish sauce is made of, so they're rather important to the flavors of Southeast Asia. Since we do sort of an Asian fusion at Jujube, they're a nice bridge ingredient to marry Italian and Southeast Asian flavors.

Lots of good info here. I love anchovies either on a slice or in a caesar salad. I've not done the garlic anchovy butter on steak but I have done it on grilled swordfish. Yum.

I love fish sauce as well. I do this Thai thing called Mother-in-law Eggs. Hard boiled eggs that are deep fried then covered in a sauce made from fish sauce, palm sugar, fried onions, garlic, and chili peppers. Oh my, it is just to die for.

My wife also hasa a theory that guys who like to eat anchovies also like to eat other fishy things...:D

If you like Worcertishire sauce, you like anchovies. Thing is, the actual achovie just is a bit too potent for some folks, but use some anchovie paste in all sorts of things used moderately will enhance many recipes, even for those who swear they hate em. Me... I'll eat em right out of the tin. No brainer on a pizza.

If you like Worcertishire sauce, you like anchovies. Thing is, the actual achovie just is a bit too potent for some folks, but use some anchovie paste in all sorts of things used moderately will enhance many recipes, even for those who swear they hate em. Me... I'll eat em right out of the tin. No brainer on a pizza.

Well, that's a bit of a stretch. Yes, they're used in that sauce but it's way more mild than just eating the little buggers. Like you, I can eat them straight.

hehehe...... i would have to strongly disagree with your statement there. for a very long time i used to like tomato based sauces, but not tomatos themselves..... i like using fish sauce in a lot of asian dishes, but i wouldn't want to touch some of the products used to make it.

i like anchovies when in a paste, used sparsely. i do not like eating them straight. it's really not difficult to see how the two are different.