[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pats - Giants to be simulcast on NFL Network, CBS and NBC

MTSuper7

You basically said it. If people want it then they just need to make a phone call and switch providers. It is not hard to do. It is just easier to complain about it.

I had cable but I like to see other games so I decided to switch and when I cancelled cable and they asked why I explained to them that it was easy to switch and I got to watch what I wanted to watch.

I see your point,but who wants to switch from what they like to something else for 6 weeks?Lets say they have comcast and like its features,installing a dish just doesnt make sense for 8 games.Especially if all you watch is your home teams games,now thanks to the NFL network,you dont get that if you have the misfortune of being one of their games.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the NFL was serious about selling the NFL Network they wouldn't crumble under pressure and this game would not be broadcast on other channels.

No, John F'n Kerry was threatening congressional hearings against the NFL, this is the ONLY reason this came about.

Exactly what the lieberals wants, the government controlling every single faction of our lives, including what TV we get to watch.

Exactly what the lieberals wants, the government controlling every single faction of our lives, including what TV we get to watch.

I think you could look at it to say that in this case, the lieberal was forcing them to show for free what everyone else was having to pay for.

do not blame nfl or nfln…

rather than quote and correct all the misinformation in this thread, I'll attempt to simplify this complicated issue... :D

before the nfln came into existence, the eight games they televise were on Sundays and generally unavailable to all but homers, unless the game was the game of the week that goes national…so, very few fans were able to see these games to begin with…they just weren’t televised in most markets…the eight nfln games are ADDITIONAL televised games…so to say we all have to pay for something that was free before is incorrect…for most, these telecasts weren’t even available before, at any price (except Sunday ticket)…

homers still get the games for free, for the most part…the NE/NYG game has long been scheduled to air on 3 local stations, so as not to piss off the local fans…trouble is, Patriot nation extends well beyond those stations’ broadcast areas, so only those fringe fans are getting screwed, and have to pay for something that they got for free before…I’m curious how many that is, but would guess about 10% of homers would now have to pay (unless other networks are allowed to simulcast)…

for the most part, we had 3 Sunday games (two of which were on at the same time), a Sunday night game, and a Monday night game on free television…that is a total of five games televised most weeks…well now we have two more, for a total of seven games televised some weeks…

the big dispute comes in when each provider decides how to best milk these 8 new broadcasts for their own good—read $$$...

hard to believe, but most people do not want to watch these games or the network, so why should it be included in the basic service rate?…if nfln airs as part of basic service, then EVERYBODY pays for it in their basic rate…just like we pay for espn or cnn…programming is all lumped together as the provider sees fit...for example, in my area, comcast only lets you get nfln as part of a ‘sports entertainment package’ that includes the tennis channel and nba tv among others…so I have to pay for a bunch of crap I don’t want in order to get nfln…no different than paying for cnn when I never watch it…(although, I must admit, I enjoyed that Larry Bird special on nba tv...they actually cut down his highlights to an hour...)

in a perfect world, we could choose exactly which channels we want and pay for our own ‘package’ of programming…but in reality, the providers decide how to package the programming to suit their own needs ($$$)…this goes way beyond football...what we need to do is DEMAND a-la-cart pricing for all programming from all providers…

The NFL is as greedy as the cable companies. They tried to strong-arm them and use us as leverage. It blew up in their faces.

"The league has succeeded in accomplishing something unique, something unheard-of in the history of modern media: getting consumers and politicians to side with the cable companies."

Never said you did. It was a general comment to the masses.

Same with the post before yours. I did not say that you said you don't have the NFL network. I was making a comment to your comment that not everyone can get the games.

Sheesh - people on this site take every word literally and then make snap jusdgements. Chill out people.

Some people get their panties in a wad until you say they are right. :D

:D

Yeah, he really got me with that inaccurate statement. :D

So, are you still going to be a Moss/Patriots fan next year, or are you going to morph into a T.O./Cowboys fan if they win the SB? T.O. falls into the same category of douchebaggery as Vick and Moss, no?

Edited by Bill Swerski

Yeah, he really got me with that inaccurate statement. :D

So, are you still going to be a Moss/Patriots fan next year, or are you going to morph into a T.O./Cowboys fan if they win the SB? T.O. falls into the same category of douchebaggery as Vick and Moss, no?

Hey excuse me ma'am, but you just got steamrolled in this thread, not me.

Hey excuse me ma'am, but you just got steamrolled in this thread, not me.

Nope, my statements about only certain areas of media markets getting NFLN-aired games are 100% accurate. They're backed up by Big John as well.

You know, come to think of it, T.O. doesn't have a long enough rap sheet to suit your taste. Maybe you could be a Tank Johnson fan instead? :D

The casual fan in the broadcast area of his local team will get the game broadcast on a local station.

Yeah, they will IN THIS PARTICULAR CASE. But the NFL won't do this regularly.

That was your response to my comment. That is patently not true. NFL Network games (and I believe espn games) are available for broadcast over local network channels in local markets. This weekend's game is no different.

The only difference with this weekend's NFLN game is that it will be broadcast on network TV everywhere.

That was your response to my comment. That is patently not true. NFL Network games (and I believe espn games) are available for broadcast over local network channels in local markets. This weekend's game is no different.

The only difference with this weekend's NFLN game is that it will be broadcast on network TV everywhere.

Steamroll'd

Being "available for broadcast" and being "actually broadcasted" are not equivalent. In practice, NFL Network broadcasts are NOT available to ALL local network affiliate viewers in a particular team's media market...

During the GB/Dallas game was the game available on any other network other than NFLN in those areas? (for the GB/Dallas Homers)

Yes, but only in the immediate metro areas. They did not even offer it to outstate home markets that carry those game as the home team and that ESPN has to offer their broadcasts to for the home team.
Edited by Bill Swerski

No, John F'n Kerry was threatening congressional hearings against the NFL, this is the ONLY reason this came about.

Well....actually to be accurate it was Sens. Patrick J. Leahy (D-Vt.) and Arlen Specter (R-Pa.) who first threatened Congressional hearings regarding the NFL's anti-trust exemption status & if they still qualified for it.

Kerry piled on later.

So the ONLY reason this came about was the NFL wanting to protect their existing anti-trust exemption.

Not that there's anything wrong with that from a business perspective. If I were running a business & it had an anti-trust exemption, you'd better believe I'd move heaven & earth to keep it.