[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

16-0 NFL season...what compares?

pig devilz

Going 16-0 will be great and will be a regular season record but who will remember the Pats 16-0 season if they lose in the playoffs???? Nobody

Nope.

People will say when the next team makes a 16-0 run, "There's only been two teams to have an undefeated season."

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Cowboys fan I'd happily watch the Patriots not lose a regular season game the next 10 years if the Cowboys win every SB over the same period.

Would any of you NE fans be happy with those results?

With Joey Harrington in the NFC and Favre retiring soon, it's very possible.

with the Patriots on the verge of possibly going 16-0 in the regular season, i've been trying to compare

it to another achievemnet in any other pro sport, or in the NFL. Can it be compared? To what?

or, do you think it's not that difficult?

i could only come up with a couple, but given the differences of the sports, they have their pros and cons.

pitching a perfect game in MLB (in the WS?)....sweeping the NBA playoffs and Finals....or maybe multiple, consecutive SB wins...

one that comes close would be the Patriots 21 game winning streak from 10/5/03 to 10/31/04, that included 2 Playoff wins and the SB Championship.

thoughts...

The obvious one,72 Dolphins.

Played the max games allowed and never lost.Fewer games,but the same accomplishment.

Talk about missing the point. Let me spell it out for you ....

If NE wins all their regular season games but fails to win the SB then the 16-0 regular season means nothing.

Yeah ... right now the Patriots are probably pumped up for this particular game because it will set the record but if they win this game and fail to win the SB then the feat is meaningless.

There ... do you need further explanation?

further explaination? :wacko:

no, your complete ignorance is there for all to see...pls don't make that any clearer... :D

if you just change your words 'nothing' to 'less' and 'meaningless' to 'less meaningful', then you would be credible...

to say that doing something that has NEVER been done before in the ENTIRE HISTORY of the NFL "means nothing" is just plain delusional. [so you don't have to look it up, delusional: something that is falsely or delusively believed or propagated; a persistent false psychotic belief regarding the self or persons or objects outside the self that is maintained despite indisputable evidence to the contrary; also : the abnormal state marked by such beliefs]... :D

just look at your own words: "the feat is meaningless" :D

A feat, by definition, is "a noteworthy or extraordinary act or achievement" (dictionary.com)...so you're saying an extraordinary achievement is meaningless??? :D

thats ok...go ahead...keep deluding yourself...

no, your complete ignorance is there for all to see...pls don't make that any clearer... :D

if you just change your words 'nothing' to 'less' and 'meaningless' to 'less meaningful', then you would be credible...

to say that doing something that has NEVER been done before in the ENTIRE HISTORY of the NFL "means nothing" is just plain delusional. [so you don't have to look it up, delusional: something that is falsely or delusively believed or propagated; a persistent false psychotic belief regarding the self or persons or objects outside the self that is maintained despite indisputable evidence to the contrary; also : the abnormal state marked by such beliefs]... :D

A feat, by definition, is "a noteworthy or extraordinary act or achievement" (dictionary.com)...so you're saying an extraordinary achievement is meaningless??? :D

;)

:headbang:

We were 16-0 and not the best team in the NFL that year. ;)

I wouldnt say meaningless so much as empty.

Edited by xtra

So answer my question ...

As a Cowboy fan I would happily watch the Pats not lose a regular season game the NEXT TEN YEARS if the Cowboys won the SB every year during those 10 years.

As a Pats fan would that float your boat? I mean no team in history could claim to be that dominant in the regular season EVER.

I would suspect that any team would love to go 8-8 during the regular season, make the playoffs as a wild card entry, and win the Super Bowl much more than going 16-0 during the regular season and losing the Super Bowl. And of course any team would love to do that for 10 straight seasons, or forever for that matter.

I just don't see where that "fact" then makes a 16-0 regular season record meaningless. And there has been some great GREAT teams in the NFL.

Winning the Super Bowl is where it's at, of course. But a 16-0 regular season record in the NFL has never been accomplished, Super Bowl victory to follow or not.

The Grey Pilgrim

I would suspect that any team would love to go 8-8 during the regular season, make the playoffs as a wild card entry, and win the Super Bowl much more than going 16-0 during the regular season and losing the Super Bowl. And of course any team would love to do that for 10 straight seasons, or forever for that matter.

I just don't see where that "fact" then makes a 16-0 regular season record meaningless. And there has been some great GREAT teams in the NFL.

Winning the Super Bowl is where it's at, of course. But a 16-0 regular season record in the NFL has never been accomplished, Super Bowl victory to follow or not.

The Grey Pilgrim

So you agree then ... you would not want to see your team go undefeated in the regular season for 10 years and never win the SB?

NE would forever be known as a team that had a bit of a soft schedule, went undefeated in the regular season and could not finish. Yeah ... that means a lot. :D

Personally ... I hope that NE does defeat the Giants Saturday and then lose before they even get to the SB.

I expect not many NE coaches, players and fans (and the owner as well) would take much solace from having a perfect regular season .... but no SB ring.

Ask the Buffalo players how much solace they took out of going to the SB 4 years in a row but failing to win a single one. As I recall NO other team has EVER been to 4 straight SBs. I suspect that those Buffalo teams would rather have gone to just ONE SB and winning in then accomplishing 4 in a row with no victory.

Edited by Grits and Shins

Uh.....that'd be yeah.

I agree that I would rather have my team win the Super Bowl without going 16-0, rather than going 16-0 and not winning the Super Bowl. But I don't agree that a 16-0 regular season record in the NFL is meaningless, any more than a baseball team going 162-0 would be "meaningless" without winning the World Series. The accomplishment would be tainted, but far from meaningless.

The Grey Pilgrim

+1980

"DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES???"

I still remember where I was, who I was with, the smell in the air...everything...at this moment. What an incredible time that was...

Just imagine a college team like say South Florida beating the Patriots. Maybe more like Appalachian St would be more comparable to what those young kids did to the Russians. I remember it all too well.

Uh.....that'd be yeah.

I agree that I would rather have my team win the Super Bowl without going 16-0, rather than going 16-0 and not winning the Super Bowl. But I don't agree that a 16-0 regular season record in the NFL is meaningless, any more than a baseball team going 162-0 would be "meaningless" without winning the World Series. The accomplishment would be tainted, but far from meaningless.

The Grey Pilgrim

An accomplishment like the Chicago Bears doing it TWICE but losing their playoff game? Did you know the Bears had two undefeated regular seasons? I know I didn't.

It would be like the marathon runner that holds a massive lead over the entire field for 26 miles but runs out of gas the last mile and ends up in last place. Did it matter that the runner was in 1st by 1 mile the first 26 miles of the race?