[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

LSU's over-time losses FINALLY explained

Glabra

October 13, LSU 27 – Kentucky 27 (Regulation)

Sure, everybody knows LSU lost this game 43-37 in three overtimes, but taking overtimes into accounts is so subjective. What really counts is what happened in the sixty minutes that matter! And in those sixty minutes, LSU pummeled their way to 261 yards rushing against a Kentucky defense that fields eleven defenders just like the ’85 Bears did. And the Tigers STILL ran on them! Jacob Hester had the lights on the scoreboard reading like a digital speedometer as he put the pedal down and tallied a staggering 61 yards rushing on only 18 carries! And when Kentucky geared up to try and stop Hester, the Tigers would throw the ball downfield at will. Matt Flynn finished 18-37 for 142 yards passing for a very respectable 3.8 yards per attempt. And as I mentioned, Flynn didn’t hesitate to go downfield. He completed passes of 18, 12, 14 and 13 yards! The Kentucky secondary was bombarded with deep passes and really could not contain this LSU passing attack. But, not all was perfect for LSU; after all, they did give up 27 points in regulation. However, if you look at it closely, you’ll see that those 27 points probably should have only been 20 points, considering the fact that Kentucky got a cheap touchdown drive at the end of the first half. It was a five play drive that went 78 yards in only 44 seconds, so obviously it was a fluke. People may want to point to the fact that LSU failed to sack Kentucky quarterback Andre Woodson during the game, but that’s Kentucky’s game. They pass protect like nobody else in the nation. People will try to point out that Mississippi State sacked Woodson three times this season, but I would point out that three isn’t really that much more than zero, so it’s pretty much a wash. And people will try to say that LSU’s defense was suspect in this game because Kentucky scored 20 straight points, but I would say that it’s pretty amazing that after Kentucky had gained all of that momentum, somehow, this LSU team was able to fight back and actually take the lead in the second overtime! And people love to talk about LSU’s failures in overtime. Yes, Kentucky scored in all three overtimes, but in only two of the three overtimes did they score a touchdown, and only one of those touchdowns was followed by an extra point! People don’t talk about that, do they? No! LSU didn’t lose this game because of LSU, nor because of their twelve penalties, they lost this game because--sometimes--losing builds character. It’s a natural selection-type of thing. LSU is stronger because of this game, and they won’t allow what happened in this game to happen again.

November 23, LSU 28 – Arkansas 28 (Regulation)

Again, this was yet another game where LSU couldn’t be beaten in regulation; rather it took Arkansas an amazing three overtimes to finally beat LSU 50-48. But I think we would all agree that if this game was played in regulation again, LSU would undoubtedly not lose. And the stats would back me up on this. Yes, Arkansas won this game, but LSU held the Razorbacks to a meager 128 yards passing. People will want to point to Arkansas’ 385 yards rushing in an effort to display some type of lacking defense for the Tigers, but I would argue that if you take away Darren McFadden’s 73-yard run, Peyton Hillis’ 65-yard run and Felix Jones’ 31-yard run, then Arkansas would have only rushed for 216 yards—which is fairly mediocre. And let’s not forget that the Tigers held Heisman runner-up Darren McFadden to a 3-6 passing day, and only allowed him to throw for 34 yards and just one touchdown! Yes, Darren McFadden rushed for 206 yards, but like I said, 73 of those yards came on one lucky play. When McFadden isn’t the beneficiary of such fortune, he is a pedestrian back. For instance, Florida International held McFadden to 61 yards on 19 carries, and Auburn held him to 43 yards on 17 carries. Why? Because he didn’t get any cheap runs against them, that’s why! And if LSU and Arkansas were to play again, I guarantee you that he wouldn’t get any 70-yard runs in regulation OR overtime this time around. That’s why I prefer Jacob Hester’s game to McFadden’s. Hester carried the ball 28 times for 126 yards, and his longest carry of the day was for twelve yards. He doesn’t need flukes—he has consistency! And people should really just shut up about how Arkansas scored a touchdown in each overtime—so did LSU! And nobody else had stopped Arkansas in overtime this year, so why should LSU be held accountable for something that nobody else could manage? It’s not fair to blame LSU for something that we’re not even sure is possible. Also, it bears mentioning that Early Doucet again dazzled viewers with 52 yards receiving on seven receptions.

Are Ohio State coaches and fans abusing the "Us against the Nation Card"? :D

Ohio State returned to practice Wednesday, and Head Coach Jim Tressel didn’t send his players home empty-handed. Every player received a DVD containing just about every negative comment the OSU coaching staff could uncover regarding the Buckeyes’ Jan. 7 national title game against LSU. The basic message: These guys don’t think you have a chance.

Need I remind this dumbass coach & the suckeye nation that their team was voted #1 in the media and coaches polls. How can the nation be completely against you when your team is ranked #1? Someone had to vote your sorry arse team #1. :wacko:

:D "Fear the Hat"

Edited by Rockerbraves

They were voted #1 simply because they have 1 loss. Not brain science. That's only how they've done it since the beginning of time. However, #1 in this game is not the favorite, but the underdog. I mean you yourself, said this LSU team is the most talented in the country, so certainly the most talented team in the country, with all of that SEC speed (not just speed folks, but SEC Speed, there IS a difference, ask any SEC fan) should mop the floor with the slow Buckeyes who never beat those Fast SEC teams in bowl games.

I thought we were talking about #1 here rocker. Please read my post before talking to me about Kansas. The issue was #1, which clearly was what I was pointing out. . The only time in recent memory that this wasn't really the case was in 1993 when 1 loss Florida State was ahead of undefeated Nebraska. This certainly isn't the first time that #2 has been favored in a game vs #1 either. If you recall back in 2000, #2 FSU was favored over #1 Oklahoma. 1998, #2 Florida State I believe was favored over #1 Tennessee.

I thought we were talking about #1 here rocker. Please read my post before talking to me about Kansas. The issue was #1, which clearly was what I was pointing out. .

We are talking about #1. You said the only reason why anyone voted them #1 was based strickly on their one loss record. I merely pointed out that isn't the case. If it were then Kansas would also be ranked either #1 or #2.