[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bye Bye Billick?

Gdawg

Shannon Sharpe?

...oh...maybe he meant a guy who's a surefire HOF'er as a coach...but, he didn't specify the NFL HOF...so, for now, we're left to speculate...

Freddie Blassie ?

Edited by whomper

You Ravens fans should be stoked. What did Billick ever do but win a SB and run a generally competitive team while being given offensive personnel on the level of Trent Dilfer, Jamal Lewis, Travis Taylor, Derrick Mason, Kyle Boller, Todd "Questionable" Heap, and a washed up Steve McNair.

Even Mario Batali couldn't make chicken salad from chicken sh*t. Billick got a bad rap. I honestly hope the Dolphins don't hire him as the HC.

You Ravens fans should be stoked. What did Billick ever do but win a SB and run a generally competitive team while being given offensive personnel on the level of Trent Dilfer, Jamal Lewis, Travis Taylor, Derrick Mason, Kyle Boller, Todd "Questionable" Heap, and a washed up Steve McNair.

Even Mario Batali couldn't make chicken salad from chicken sh*t. Billick got a bad rap. I honestly hope the Dolphins don't hire him as the HC.

Jamal Lewis, Derrick Mason, and Todd Heap were all pretty good not too long ago (heck, Mason is still pretty good). Also consider that Billick's O-lines were pretty good most of the time and were anchored by future-HOFer Jonathan Ogden. Shannon Sharpe wasn't exactly washed-up in the pre-Heap era either. Outside of QB, those offenses weren't completely devoid of talent.

The problem with Billick is that he's supposedly an "offensive genius" and the Ravens offense sucked for the majority of the time that he was there. I'd give Ozzie Newsome a lot more credit than Billick, as he's the one responsible for drafting many of the defensive studs who carried that team, as well as hiring the D-coordinators who got those guys to play at an elite level. I don't think that Bilick is a "bad" HC in any sense of the word, but he didn't exactly bring that much to the table in terms of player development. And given what Ray Lewis said earlier this season, it's clear that he lost his team this season. After nine years with some success, I don't think that Billick got a bad rap or a raw deal. It was just time for him to move on.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Jamal Lewis, Derrick Mason, and Todd Heap were all pretty good not too long ago (heck, Mason is still pretty good). Also consider that Billick's O-lines were pretty good most of the time and were anchored by future-HOFer Jonathan Ogden. Shannon Sharpe wasn't exactly washed-up in the pre-Heap era either. Outside of QB, those offenses weren't completely devoid of talent.

The problem with Billick is that he's supposedly an "offensive genius" and the Ravens offense sucked for the majority of the time that he was there. I'd give Ozzie Newsome a lot more credit than Billick, as he's the one responsible for drafting many of the defensive studs who carried that team, as well as hiring the D-coordinators who got those guys to play at an elite level. I don't think that Bilick is a "bad" HC in any sense of the word, but he didn't exactly bring that much to the table in terms of player development. And given what Ray Lewis said earlier this season, it's clear that he lost his team this season. After nine years with some success, I don't think that Billick got a bad rap or a raw deal. It was just time for him to move on.

Jamal Lewis had 1 very good season, and a couple of decent ones. Mason was never any better than a streaky player, and really hasn;t done much with the Ravens, and Heap has been among the most injured TEs over the last 5 seasons.

This team has had a quality O-line for most of Billick's time. IMO that's about all the positive you can say about the offense over that timeframe.

People have been kvetching about Billick for as long as I can remember. He's been very successful there. Most teams would be upgrading at HC if they hired Billick.

Jamal Lewis had 1 very good season, and a couple of decent ones. Mason was never any better than a streaky player, and really hasn;t done much with the Ravens, and Heap has been among the most injured TEs over the last 5 seasons. This team has had a quality O-line for most of Billick's time. IMO that's about all the positive you can say about the offense over that timeframe.

You're underrating Lewis. He was a 1,000-yd back in 5 of 7 seasons in BAL, including the one in which he tore his ACL. Mason has been a 1,000-yd receiver in two out of his three years in BAL. Heap has also had his share of good seasons. I disagree that Baltimore's offense has been completely void of skill-position talent, especially over the past few years.

People have been kvetching about Billick for as long as I can remember. He's been very successful there. Most teams would be upgrading at HC if they hired Billick.

Agreed, but that doesn't mean that Billick should remain in Baltimore. Jobs are about "fit", and not necessarily the best technical person for the position. Billick had been there for NINE years. That's a long time for a HC. They also hadn't won a playoff game in SIX years and Ray Lewis (who is not exactly a "coach killer") publicly called out his play-calling earlier this year. It was just time for Billick to move on.

You're underrating Lewis. He was a 1,000-yd back in 5 of 7 seasons in BAL, including the one in which he tore his ACL.

Behind one of the league's best o-lines for years running. I am not underrating him. He's servicable. He's not a franchise back. He can

t carry an offense himself in the way a guy like AD, LT, or Westbrook can.

Mason has been a 1,000-yd receiver in two out of his three years in BAL. Heap has also had his share of good seasons. I disagree that Baltimore's offense has been completely void of skill-position talent, especially over the past few years.

:D Okay. I am not sure who you are disagreeing with, as I never said that. What I am saying is that comparative to some of the good offensive teams in the league, Baltimore's talent at the skill positions, and especially at the QB position has been lacking.

Agreed, but that doesn't mean that Billick should remain in Baltimore. Jobs are about "fit", and not necessarily the best technical person for the position. Billick had been there for NINE years. That's a long time for a HC. They also hadn't won a playoff game in SIX years and Ray Lewis (who is not exactly a "coach killer") publicly called out his play-calling earlier this year. It was just time for Billick to move on.

I am not saying that a change might not help...but I am tired of hearing people complain about how bad of a HC Billick was. That is really what I am getting at. I am not looking to debate the finer points of where Derrick Mason fits on this decade's list of wr talent :D

Behind one of the league's best o-lines for years running. I am not underrating him. He's servicable. He's not a franchise back. He can

t carry an offense himself in the way a guy like AD, LT, or Westbrook can.

You don't need to be on AP or LT's level to be a "franchise back." Lewis is as good as Bettis was in his prime.

:D Okay. I am not sure who you are disagreeing with, as I never said that. What I am saying is that comparative to some of the good offensive teams in the league, Baltimore's talent at the skill positions, and especially at the QB position has been lacking.

A lot of teams are lacking in skill position talent in comparison to the good offensive teams in the league. And a lot of those teams are actually able to win playoff games. The Ravens were 17th overall in offense and 12th in points scored last year. So obviously they weren't doing too badly. But they inexplicably only managed to score 6 f'n points against the Colts 21st-ranked defense at home last January. There are a lot of teams that don't have a very good QB, but still manage to get into the playoffs and win a game every once in a while. Look at the garbage that Mike Shanahan had to work with between Elway and Cutler. Billick makes Shanahan look like Bill Walsh.

I am not saying that a change might not help...but I am tired of hearing people complain about how bad of a HC Billick was. That is really what I am getting at.

Agreed that Billick is a decent HC. He does a fine job of leading a team. But he needs to give up his offensive duties when he gets his next job. He can't call plays competently and he doesn't appear to be able to develop players that well, either.

Edited by Bill Swerski