[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rose Bowl USC vs Illinois

GWPFFL BrianW

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He was actually talking about the clear late hit out of bounds on the last drive which would have tacked on 15 more yards. It was a good game. Congrats to the Vols on that one. I think those kids really wanted it, after losing to Penn state last year, and it showed.

Actually, I was referring to this post right here. That out of bounds hit was certainly close enough to deserve a flag even if it was hardly the worst I've seen. BTW, I don't think the helmet to helmet on the Wisc QBs TD run was bad at all. At game speed and the QB diving head first for a TD, anything goes.

Tennessee fumbles and the homefield reps for the Vols reverse the call , thereby insuring the SEC an bogus win in SEC country.........again. :D

He was actually talking about the clear late hit out of bounds on the last drive which would have tacked on 15 more yards. It was a good game. Congrats to the Vols on that one. I think those kids really wanted it, after losing to Penn state last year, and it showed.

That's IMPOSSIBLE ! No way an SEC loses to a slow Big 10 team, it can't happen.

Oh, wait ...............they've lost 1/2 the games against the Big 10 , and after Jan 7th, the Big 10 will be 1up in the H2H standing between the SEC and Big 10 over the last 8 seasons :D

Shocked, i am

Shocked ! !

Actually, I was referring to this post right here. That out of bounds hit was certainly close enough to deserve a flag even if it was hardly the worst I've seen. BTW, I don't think the helmet to helmet on the Wisc QBs TD run was bad at all. At game speed and the QB diving head first for a TD, anything goes.

the only thing I question there, is the tennesse tackler was clearly leading with his helmet, but you're right, thats one of those fluke plays. However, it was helmet to helmet, and accident or not... i think it warrants a flag. But look, none of those plays guarantee a Wisconsin victory. I'll say what I said 2 years ago after the phantom offsides called on Iowa against Florida... while it didn't cost them the game, it prevented them the chance (or in this case a better chance) of winning it. But whose to say, Tyler Donovan still doesn't throw another INT on the next play anyway? You can't, so you can only tip your hat to Tennessee and move on.

the only thing I question there, is the tennesse tackler was clearly leading with his helmet, but you're right, thats one of those fluke plays. However, it was helmet to helmet, and accident or not... i think it warrants a flag. But look, none of those plays guarantee a Wisconsin victory. I'll say what I said 2 years ago after the phantom offsides called on Iowa against Florida... while it didn't cost them the game, it prevented them the chance (or in this case a better chance) of winning it. But whose to say, Tyler Donovan still doesn't throw another INT on the next play anyway? You can't, so you can only tip your hat to Tennessee and move on.

I totally understand your point but really am wondering. Who's job is it to avoid helmet to helmet? That is, if a player is diving head first into the endzone. I completely agree that in nearly every case, it's the defender's responsibility to avoid it, but I'm not sure how he does so in that situation. I would say that there'd be a better chance of it being a late hit since dude was already in the endzone by the time the contact came, though that's where the speed of the game comes in. None the less, while I think it was a good no-call, I would have hardly been outraged had they thrown a flag. Close enough either way that you've got to cut the refs some slack. Basically the same way I feel about the out of bounds. I don't think it was a hugely flagrant late hit and don't think we got a gift there but I could certainly see the call going the other way as well.

You have to protect the Quarterbacks. If it was a running back, I doubt they woulda shown the replay over and over again. I'm really surprised that didn't hurt Donovan more than it did. That was a nasty hit. I've been a big fan of Tyler Donovan for a long time, and that game solidified that opinion. Same with Tim Tebow, cuz Michigan blitzed the chit outta him, and he still had a pretty solid effort.

You have to protect the Quarterbacks. If it was a running back, I doubt they woulda shown the replay over and over again. I'm really surprised that didn't hurt Donovan more than it did. That was a nasty hit. I've been a big fan of Tyler Donovan for a long time, and that game solidified that opinion. Same with Tim Tebow, cuz Michigan blitzed the chit outta him, and he still had a pretty solid effort.

Certainly mad props to Donovan for shaking it off. They also may have been showing the play over and over because his neck buckled. I think you protect the QBs as long as they're acting like QBs. Once dude dives head first for the endzone, you can't ask everyone to back off. I understand your point in terms of the positions importance to the game, but a kid's a kid and I don't think anyone deserves more protection than anyone else.

In terms of protecting players who are in vulnerable positions, ie: going up for a pass, finishing a punt, standing still and making a pass, crack back blocks... I agree 100%. None the less, it seems as if we've gotten down to some pretty fine minutia here and perhaps it's time we just agree to disagree here realizing that we're only barely disagreeing anyway.

Certainly mad props to Donovan for shaking it off. They also may have been showing the play over and over because his neck buckled. I think you protect the QBs as long as they're acting like QBs. Once dude dives head first for the endzone, you can't ask everyone to back off. I understand your point in terms of the positions importance to the game, but a kid's a kid and I don't think anyone deserves more protection than anyone else.

In terms of protecting players who are in vulnerable positions, ie: going up for a pass, finishing a punt, standing still and making a pass, crack back blocks... I agree 100%. None the less, it seems as if we've gotten down to some pretty fine minutia here and perhaps it's time we just agree to disagree here realizing that we're only barely disagreeing anyway.

You fail to accept any homefield brewing as usual. The Badgers got robbed, 3 separate calls, all of which had huge implications at that point in the game. Not recognizing those blatant facts shows your homerism.

What?

Not much question, says who? You !

:D

Any given saturday ! OSU, LSU, Georgia and OU all have "questions" about who is #1 , to say USC is the best is just to be clueless.

Hello? Clueless? It's an opinion. Mine. You don't have to agree with it. I simply feel that USC is the best team in College football today and on a neutral field they would beat anyone put in front of them. The athletes they put on the field would match up against any team in the country and their coaching staff has no rival. I do agree with you that the four teams you mention have legitimate claims to #1.

Edited by theprofessor

Hello? Clueless? It's an opinion. Mine. You don't have to agree with it. I simply feel that USC is the best team in College football today and on a neutral field they would beat anyone put in front of them. The athletes they put on the field would match up against any team in the country and their coaching staff has no rival. I do agree with you that the four teams you mention have legitimate claims to #1.

.............and i quote

Not much question about who is the best College football team right now.

:D Seems more like a statement of accepted facts, rather than a.................in my opinon post :D

Great comeback here Prof..you are so edgeumacated...... :wacko:

I am sure that SC will try and claim a championship here....DBag's even tried to score with 17 seconds left to prove something......weak....and way too late!!!

I can't tell you how much I love the jealousy that forum members, like you, have for the SC program. :D Only a :D like you watches that game and thinks SC tried to run up the score on the Illini :D They were running the ball at will and playing with their 3rd and 4th string? What do you want them to do lay down?

You fail to accept any homefield brewing as usual. The Badgers got robbed, 3 separate calls, all of which had huge implications at that point in the game. Not recognizing those blatant facts shows your homerism.

TOS, I honestly respect your knowledge of the game, 100%. But you seriously need to get off this train. Please.

Dude, when's the last time you looked at a map. Knoxville is not exactly in FL. I make the drive to Tampa from NC every now and then (which is just a bit closer than K-ville to Tampa) to visit my in-laws and let's just say that's a bit further than I would tend to go for a "home" game.

Now, let's talk about your calls:

Call #1, I assume is the helmet to helmet in the endzone. I've given that I would not have been outraged had they called that but was inclined to say it should be a no-call. Hardly blind homerism. None the less, say they make the call. Wisc kicks off from the 50, boots it through the endzone and UT takes over on their 20 rather than the 22. Not exactly sure I'd call that a "huge implication"

Call #2. Would this be the fumble reversal? The one that anyone who's not blind with hatred of the SEC would have noticed in the many slow-mo shots that the guy wasn't even close to being in bounds when he recovered?

Call #3. Once again, I could see a flag getting thrown there. But, like I said before, I have certainly seen worse. Had Wisky been down by a FG or less, that could have really mattered, but they weren't. Dude throws a pick the very next play which, I would assume had much more to do with the end of the game than 15 yards (which still puts the ball outside the 25 with :30 secs to go.

None the less, I've already broken one of my New Year's resolutions and I need to get back on track. That is, being baited into debate with dumbasses who refuse to bring anything credible to the conversation. Thus, I yield to you the last word. Enjoy.

you do know that the officials were from the Mountain West???

and every game uses a an "all star" crew from a neutral conference.........

yet again, more solid knowledge dropped from TOS-

you do know that the officials were from the Mountain West???

and every game uses a an "all star" crew from a neutral conference.........

yet again, more solid knowledge dropped from TOS-

And here i thought it was Pac 10 refs :D

To suggest i thought it was an SEC crew, is truely one of your more ignorant posts...............Not surprised though.

Edited by theeohiostate

you may want to reconsider the first sentence -

TOS is off base, flat out wrong, and has some kind of paranoid take on everything he posts

Wildcat is right on with this post !

He is also a bandwagon junkie that pimps the hot hand week to week too, due to the inability of his beloved Wildcats to make a splash into the top 50 in over 35 years. :D

Edited by theeohiostate

And here i thought it was Pac 10 refs :D

To suggest i thought it was an SEC crew, is truely one of your more ignorant posts...............Not surprised though.

ok, I will bite, again just bc I am kind of bored right now

so, please enlighten me on how all yer Big 10 teams were getting screwed by the officials??

a MWC crew in a bowl game, at a neutral site another state is homering Wisky???

I feel dumber every time I respond to you, seriously

I hope you have some sort of chaperone, or state appointed guardian with you in the quarter- not sure you can handle it on yer own

I am sure that SC will try and claim a championship here....DBag's even tried to score with 17 seconds left to prove something......weak....and way too late!!!

AHAHAHA - Bonedaddies' hate of USC runs so deep, he's blinded by it. They could've scored another 2 TDs and prevented the last Ill score if they'd kept their 1st stringers in on both sides of the ball in the 4thQ, d*bag. That's typical of haters, always jealous of the winners. Are you an LSU fan or something? I don't know who you are or what team you support, but you are one dumb blowhard.

I have no problem with the NC title game winner being the 'undisputed' BCS/AP champ, IF (big if) its 1-loss OSU. But if LSU wins, why can their 2 losses be written off any eaiser than the other 2-loss teams that won their conf., i.e. USC and the Sooners (assuming OU beats WVU)? I delete the Buckeyes, VaTech and UGA here, due to head-to-head losses vs. LSU and not winning their conference, respectively.

I also have no problem sharing a title with Auburn the year USC went undefeated and got the BCS and AP titles, since AUB didn't lose either. The year TX beat USC for the title is the only year you could maybe say that, and the BCS just got lucky that year with only 1 unbeaten team. Without a playoff you can't logically make an undisputed claim ever, so why are idiots on here still trying? But for the Bonedadddies' of the world, suck on some undisputed facts from a proud USC homer, re: the best team in NCAA D1 football over the last 6 years:

2 AP titles + 1 BCS title, unprecedented six straight BCS bowls and Pac10 titles, 5-1 in those bowls (and one loss by about 9 inches), the highest current winning % of all active coaches (min. 5 years), 3 Heisman trophies, 6 straight 11 win seasons. All these are records, of course, and are facts, not opinions. Not sure if the next one is a record, but still impressive: 8 losses in 6 years, none by more than 7 points.

Go ahead and hate all you want, I'll take the Trojans over any other team over the 6 years. And deep down, you would too, if you could. Oooo, it hurts so bad, doesn't it....

Edited by Coffeeman

AHAHAHA - Bonedaddies' hate of USC runs so deep, he's blinded by it. They could've scored another 2 TDs and prevented the last Ill score if they'd kept their 1st stringers in on both sides of the ball in the 4thQ, d*bag. That's typical of haters, always jealous of the winners. Are you an LSU fan or something? I don't know who you are or what team you support, but you are one dumb blowhard.

I have no problem with the NC title game winner being the 'undisputed' BCS/AP champ, IF (big if) its 1-loss OSU. But if LSU wins, why can their 2 losses be written off any eaiser than the other 2-loss teams that won their conf., i.e. USC and the Sooners (assuming OU beats WVU)? I delete the Buckeyes, VaTech and UGA here, due to head-to-head losses vs. LSU and not winning their conference, respectively.

I also have no problem sharing a title with Auburn the year USC went undefeated and got the BCS and AP titles, since AUB didn't lose either. The year TX beat USC for the title is the only year you could maybe say that, and the BCS just got lucky that year with only 1 unbeaten team. Without a playoff you can't logically make an undisputed claim ever, so why are idiots on here still trying? But for the Bonedadddies' of the world, suck on some undisputed facts from a proud USC homer, re: the best team in NCAA D1 football over the last 6 years:

2 AP titles + 1 BCS title, unprecedented six straight BCS bowls and Pac10 titles, 5-1 in those bowls (and one loss by about 9 inches), the highest current winning % of all active coaches (min. 5 years), 3 Heisman trophies, 6 straight 11 win seasons. All these are records, of course, and are facts, not opinions. Not sure if the next one is a record, but still impressive: 8 losses in 6 years, none by more than 7 points.

Go ahead and hate all you want, I'll take the Trojans over any other team over the 6 years. And deep down, you would too, if you could. Oooo, it hurts so bad, doesn't it....

Gotta be fun to be a Trojan fan when some idiot tries to talk smack about them. Should you bother to even address the nonsense, you crack your knuckles back and pick any number of points to destroy them on.

Ultimately, there's not a single team in college football that can say a damned thing to the Trojans. Their run under Carrol is nothing short of legendary.

Stanford may have something to say :D

Hehehe, nice try ohio. Carroll admits to an error in judgement in (what we fans call) 'The Thumb Fiasco' - a rare lapse. We can play this one too - what team did your team lose to again? The latest Big10 Rose bowl loser? How nice for you...