[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2008 draft loaded at RB

Bronco Billy

This is something I've been watching very carefully for 3 years now, and have adjusted dynasty strategy accordingly, including amassing extra 1st round picks through trades, for next year's draft.

The 2008 NFL draft is going to be loaded with very good RBs, with a couple having the earmarks to be great.

This is GBN's top 12 at RB for next year's draft:

1) *Darren McFadden 6-1, 217 4.45 Arkansas

2) *Rashard Mendenhall 5-11, 225 4.48 Illinois

3) *Ray Rice 5-9, 200 4.45 Rutgers

4) *Jonathan Stewart 5-10, 235 4.40 Oregon

5) *Steve Slaton 5-9, 195 4.52 West Virginia

6) Mike Hart 5-9, 205 4.55 Michigan

7) Chris Johnson 5-11, 200 4.35 East Carolina

8) Tashard Choice 6-0, 205 4.42 Georgia Tech (X)

9) Matt Forte 6-0, 225 4.58 Tulane <>

10) Allen Patrick 5-11, 195 4.45 Oklahoma

11) Anthony Alridge 5-8, 175 4.35 Houston

12) Ryan Torain 6-0, 215 4.50 Arizona State (X)

LINK

And this doesn't include some very credible sleepers on the list. Looking at just the top 12 listed here, only 3 qualify as "smurfs", who might have a tough time in the NFL due to a poor height/weight ratio: Slaton, Patrick, & Alridge - though Slaton could be argued as not qualifying since he is only 5'-9" tall and thus he's not as "light" as his weight would tend to indicate. Hart & Rice both tend to the smallish side also, though both guys run well between the tackles and play bigger than their height would indicate. Choice is a little light for his 6'-0" frame, but based upon his body he can add 10-12 pounds without affecting his game.

Even thowing those 6 guys aside (which I think is foolhardy with at least 3 of them, BTW), that's still 6 solid RBs who are 1st/2nd round pick-worthy, with McFadden being an almost lock to be a top 5 pick.

Thoughts?

I think McFadden will go #1 in most drafts simply for his name. Im not sure he would be my #1 pick right now. I like Jonathan Stewart personally.

It should be noted that the * by the name means they are Juniors, and have not declared for the draft yet. They were saying on ESPN this morning Slaton should return next year since he didnt have a hugh year.

Why is Felix Jones not on this list? DId he commit to returning for a senior year?

He said he was probably staying last week, but that's what players always say before bowl games. I think Laurinaitis said the same thing.

I'm actually surprised at the low # of players who've declared so far.

Kevin Smith's position will depend a lot on his 40 time. If declares and runs sub 4.5, he'll go early. If it's around 4.6, he'll drop back a few rounds. He's gotta work on that fumble problem too.

I like Mendenhall a lot. Solid blocking and receiving skills compared to the other guys.

Edited by budlitebrad

Stewart should be the second back taken. His bowl game this week pretty much cemented that. Honestly, I would love it if he was the 4th back taken, as I know a certain team in the Northwest that would love to have a horse like that.

What is the average size of an NFL RB? Over half of the guys on this list are under 6'0" and 205 lbs. Seems a little small upon first glance, no? Maybe this is typical for an RB coming out of college, but once in the NFL they put on more weight... Just speculating...

What is the average size of an NFL RB? Over half of the guys on this list are under 6'0" and 205 lbs. Seems a little small upon first glance, no? Maybe this is typical for an RB coming out of college, but once in the NFL they put on more weight... Just speculating...

Some of the best RBs in NFL history come in at or near 5'-11" & 210 lbs. I like using a weight/height (lbs/inch) ratio of 3.02 +/- 0.03 as being fairly ideal. with the upper range being unlimited with more emphasis being put on agility & speed for big RBs and 2.82 +/- 0.03 as a lower bound as guys being not having sufficient mass to be impact RBs at the NFL level.

This is GBN's top 12 at RB for next year's draft:

1) *Darren McFadden 6-1, 217 4.45 Arkansas

2) *Rashard Mendenhall 5-11, 225 4.48 Illinois

3) *Ray Rice 5-9, 200 4.45 Rutgers

4) *Jonathan Stewart 5-10, 235 4.40 Oregon

5) *Steve Slaton 5-9, 195 4.52 West Virginia

6) Mike Hart 5-9, 205 4.55 Michigan

7) Chris Johnson 5-11, 200 4.35 East Carolina

8) Tashard Choice 6-0, 205 4.42 Georgia Tech (X)

9) Matt Forte 6-0, 225 4.58 Tulane <>

10) Allen Patrick 5-11, 195 4.45 Oklahoma

11) Anthony Alridge 5-8, 175 4.35 Houston

12) Ryan Torain 6-0, 215 4.50 Arizona State (X)

Do you agree with this ranking at this point BB?

Read this article about RB size

Do you agree with this ranking at this point BB?

It's not a bad start. I do think Slaton is the 2nd or 3rd best RB on that list, I think Hart is capable of playing like a 1st rounder, and I do like both Mendenhall & Stewart. I think anyone who mixes those 4 names in a hat and places them in any order after the #1 spot - which is McFadden by a significant margin - and you've got a very credible top 5. I worry that Rice is better served running in a RBBC with a bigger RB to do the heavy work for him.

The slot selected for many of those above will probably be determined by which NFL team they end up with and how soon they will play. Could be to that a solid FF team could take a RB that he thinks will perform great in 2-3 years and pass on someone that may play sooner.

I worry that Rice is better served running in a RBBC with a bigger RB to do the heavy work for him.

Fair enough, that's kind of how I see him, more in the MJD mold and that's not a bad thing for him or a franchise.

A little love for Forte. Will be in the top 3 of all backs drafted this year within 3 yrs. Best RB in yardage over the last two years. and that's playing for a bad football team. He singlehandily kept them in most games and won the few they did win. for those not famaliar with him get famaliar. you heard it hear first. Love.