[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mike Martz FIRED

loyalboyd

ESPN confirms.

Lion fans rejoice.

Why?

Just another scapegoat in a long line of scapegoats. Who's next? Marinelli after the Lions "regress" next year and win only 4-5 games? Then Millen will just hire his fourth head coach. This team isn't even worth talking about anymore.

I had a feeling when they hired Rod Marinelli that'd he be gone in three years and we'd never really know if he was a good coach or not.

Edited by gsmayes

That's like complaining about the scent of the air freshener in a manure truck.

Mike Martz was not the Lion's biggest problem. Good luck getting a better person to fill his spot in Detroit.

Almost exactly what I was about to post. The history of coaches who have come and gone suggests a rottenness within the structure since there have been so many who have failed. The law of averages says that there should have been at least some success but there has been nada, zilch, none.

Why?

Just another scapegoat in a long line of scapegoats. Who's next? Marinelli after the Lions "regress" next year and win only 4-5 games? Then Millen will just hire his fourth head coach. This team isn't even worth talking about anymore.

I had a feeling when they hired Rod Marinelli that'd he be gone in three years and we'd never really know if he was a good coach or not.

i agree about millen, but at the same time don't you sorta get the feeling this firing was more marinelli's idea than millen's?

Almost exactly what I was about to post. The history of coaches who have come and gone suggests a rottenness within the structure since there have been so many who have failed. The law of averages says that there should have been at least some success but there has been nada, zilch, none.

The only Golden Era in the past fifty years has been the Wayne Fontes era. Seriously. :D

Maybe it's just my perception, but I've always had the feeling that Detroit never had the talent or discipline necessary on offense to really execute Martz' offense well. Of course, there are probably few teams that have the talent/discipline necessary to run his offense well. Martz was fortunate to have an all-world RB like Faulk, two stud WRs in Holt and Bruce (and a speedster in Az-hakim), a sharp, hungry QB in Warner, and a good, solid offensive line back in the Rams' heyday. If he does end up in Baltimore or Atlanta, I can't see Martz being successful with the existing personnel.

i agree about millen, but at the same time don't you sorta get the feeling this firing was more marinelli's idea than millen's?

Maybe, but if that's the case it's Marinelli's scapegoat instead. Come to think of it, Millen doesn't need a scapegoat anyway because Ford will never fire him. Also, why aren't Joe Berry and Stan Kwan following Martz out the door? I can only assume Joe Berry, mastermind of the league's 32nd ranked defense, is sticking around because he's Marinelli's son-in-law. But, I have no idea why Kwan is still around, is he plowing Marinelli's daughter too? It's just a token move to give the appearance of change.

And below is another example of the baffling Lions ineptitude. Instead of finding a proven guy, let's promote from within. That may not be too bad until you realize they replaced him with an offensive line coach, not a QB coach or WR coach or somesuch. :D

The reports said Martz will be replaced by Jim Colletto. He retains his position as offensive line coach while calling offensive plays.

Man, I don't know what to do but :D

They replace Martz with the coach of perhaps the worst offensive line in football.

They keep Rod Marinelli, an alleged tough guy, and defensive guru. The Lions are far from tough and they had the worst defense in the league. (There's a good reason to keep Joe Berry)

Stan Kwan is a joke. At the Dallas game, he had Hanson pooching kicks because the Lions coverage was so poor. I can't even tell you who was returning kicks for Dallas, but i know that it wasn't Devin Hester.

And let's not forget about Matt "31-81" Millen. It just boggles the mind how a guy that has made blunder after blunder with abysmal results has the degree of job security that he does.

It sucks to be a Lions fan.

:D

19th ranked offense.

32nd ranked defense.

Uhhhh, you might want to look a little harder on the other side of the ball at a large part of the problem. Being a FF nut and owning Jones for a time, it was frustrating they didn't run more, but Martz was only a small part of the problem.

Martz was just not a good fit for the team. Offensively yes, but when you have zero defense it is important to eat a lot of clock. Martz never allowed that to happen for the most part.

Yeah, this should solve all of their problems. What a joke.