[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Football live seminars?

MTSuper7

I'm wondering whether or not The Huddle puts on or has put on a nationwide seminar on fantasy football. For all I know, they might. But if not, one would think that they could have a one or two day seminar in July or early August somewhere cool, block off a bunch of rooms at the hotel to get us good rates, and have classes and workshops on a variety of subjects all related to fantasy football. For one thing, it might be kind of cool to meet some Huddlers in the flesh. For another, it would be great to learn more about fantasy football in a live classroom setting. It seems like there are a lot of different sessions that could be held (creating a dynasty league, auction draft strategies, being a better commissioner, scoring system analysis, creating player tiers, etc.).

I'm not sure how much such a seminar would cost in order for the Huddle to at least break even (if not, make a little money), but I'm wondering how many people out there would go to such a seminar if it existed. I figure that if total costs including hotel, airfare, seminar fee, meals, misc ran $500-$700, it could be worth it as an excuse to take a short vacation. And again, if something like this does exist, my apologies for wasting 30 seconds of your life in reading this post (I did search the site first).

Sorry, but this would be a gigantic gimmick to bilk people out of money.

Depends on what they would charge for seminar fees I suppose... I'm not sure it'd be a gimmick though, unless you think there really is no added value in attending a live seminar. If that's what you think, then no need to attend. To me, the excuse to take a short vacation and talk fantasy football with people who share a passion for it would be worth it. And if I learn a few new things to boot, great!

Depends on what they would charge for seminar fees I suppose... I'm not sure it'd be a gimmick though, unless you think there really is no added value in attending a live seminar. If that's what you think, then no need to attend. To me, the excuse to take a short vacation and talk fantasy football with people who share a passion for it would be worth it. And if I learn a few new things to boot, great!

Nothing personal against your suggestion, but this would be pretty lame IMO - unless there were lots of strippers involved

Essentially what you're describing is WCOFF weekend in Las Vegas. Though you left out the part about twiley and vomit.

Essentially what you're describing is WCOFF weekend in Las Vegas. Though you left out the part about twiley and vomit.

:wacko: And spain disappearing... and....

And Whomper laying $100 on 5 and hitting......:D......and alchico babysitting the drunks :D.....good timessssssssss

If we're in the brainstorming phase, then I am not commenting on this idea either way.

However, every day I log on and read threads is like attending a seminar to me. The cats in here may break the brass ones but they know their stuff. Between the content, information from Homers and breadth of experience lurking around the boards, I cannot think of a better place to learn about FF, strategy, team and player news, etc. All while having a great time and making new friends.

WCOFF 2008 should be interesting, but I am there to kick ass, not learn about FF.

I had to use catlike reflexes to dodge that puke..I pride myself on supplying The Twiley with the shot that put him over the edge. I equate it to Buster Douglas Knocking out Tyson

There used to be FF conventions in that time frame each year. When I first got into this hobby in 1995 IIRC there was usually a big one in Minnesota and probable one other locale, but as the Internet has advanced, I believe those have primarily gone the way of the dodo.

Good points from everyone, and I definitely agree that the internet has made obtaining this information much easier. The Huddle is an awesome site, and it has helped me a ton. I was just curious what people thought on seminars. At the very least, it sounds like I should try to make it out to WCOFF 2008!!!

There used to be FF conventions in that time frame each year. When I first got into this hobby in 1995 IIRC there was usually a big one in Minnesota and probable one other locale, but as the Internet has advanced, I believe those have primarily gone the way of the dodo.

but Blitz is still here :D

:D

Replaced by Couples Showers, no doubt ... :D

There is a "Fantasy Football Camp" here in Seattle about a month before the season, where they bring in John Clayton and a couple other writers from fantasy websites to speak for a few hours. It basically ends up as a couple guys touching on basic fantasy theories (drafting RB's, handcuffing, etc.), until they turn the mic over to Clayton who stands up at the podium and answers questions for two hours about certain teams and players. A lot of the questions are half-retarded but it's still interesting to watch Clayton at his absolute finest, just talking football off the top of his head.

I would think Mr. Dorey would be more apt to sit around with the herd and have a few pops than be up at a podium. A big huddle party could be kinda cool, maybe like an awards ceremony, but a convention just sounds a bit too "Trek-ish" for this crowd.