[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

SEC vs BIG 10

theeohiostate

Since the inception of the BCS system in 1998 B10 vs SEC head to head:

Overall: SEC 19 B10 17

SEC Home team: SEC 4 B10 O

B10 Home team: B10 3 SEC 2

Bowl Games: B10 14 SEC 13

# of winning Bowl seasons: B10 5 SEC 3 (2 ties)

Total combined scores of all Bowl games: 691-717 (SEC)

When B10 is higher ranked team: 6-7

When SEC is higher ranked team: B10 6 SEC 5

When both unranked or same rank: B10 2 SEC 1

So what myths are laid to rest here?

1) The SEC owns the B10. I guess that would depend on ones definition of "owns." The B10 has the edge in head to head Bowl competetiton during the BCS era. Top to bottom SEC strength, southern speed and ill feelings still harbord from the Civil War dont mean anything. Bowl games are best teams on best teams, head to head. The B10 leads 13-11. Period.

2) The B10 is overrated. Again, don't let the facts get in the way of a good opinion. When the B10 has the higher rated team in head to head Bowl competition the record stands at 6-6. When the SEC is the higher ranked team The B10 leads 5 games to 4. When both teams are unranked(or the same rank) the B10 leads 2-1.

3) UF's win over OSU shows how much better the SEC is. My only question here is if the B12 has permanent bragging rights over the SEC from Nebraska's 62-24 beating of a previously undefeated UF in the '95 Fiesta Bowl?

Dominance? I think not. Anyone willing to look deeper than a SportsCenter sound byte can see its even at best for the SEC.

Bowls Year by year(year is for season not actually played), rankings are from AP:

1998: 2-0 B10

#15 UM 45-#11 Ark 31

#22 PSU 26-(NR) UK 14

1999: 2-1 B10

#9 MSU 37-#10 UF 34

#8 UM 35-#5 AL 34

#21 UGA 28- #19 Purdue 25

2000: 1-1

#17 UM 31-#20 Auburn 28

(NR) USC 24-#19 OSU 7

2001: 3-0 SEC

#14 USC 31-#22 OSU 28

#12 LSU 47-#7 ILL 34

#8 UT 45-#17 UM 17

2002: 2-1 B10

#12 UM 38-#22 UF 30

(NR) Minn 29-#25 Ark 14

#19 Auburn 13-#10 PSU 9

2003: 2-1 SEC

#13 Iowa 37-#17 UF 17

#11 UGA 34-#10 Purdue 27

(NR)Auburn 28-(NR)Wisky 14

2004: 2-1 B10

(NR)Minn 20-(NR)AL 16

#11 Iowa 30-#12 LSU 25

#8 UGA 24-#16 Wisky 21

2005: 1-1

#21 Wisky 24-#7 Aub 10

#16 UF 31-#25 Iowa 24

2006: 2-1 B10

#12t Wisky 17-#12t Ark 14

(NR)PSU 20-#17 UT 10

#2 UF 41-#1 OSU 14

2007: 1-2

#16 Tenn 21 - #18 Wisky 17

#31 Michigan 41 - #9 Florida 35

#1 OSU 24 - #2 LSU 38

Big 10 v SEC Bowl Wins (1998-Present)

Penn State 1998 Outback W 26-14 Kentucky

Michigan 1998 Citrus W 45-31 Arkansas

Michigan 1999 Orange W 35-34 (OT) Alabama

Michigan 2000 Citrus W 31-28 Auburn

Michigan State 1999 Citrus W 37-34 Florida

Minnesota 2002 Music City W 29-14 Arkansas

Michigan 2002 Outback W 38-30 Florida

Iowa 2003 Outback W 37-17 Florida

Iowa 2004 Capital One W 30-25 LSU

Minnesota 2004 Music City W 20-16 Alabama

Wisconsin 2005 Capital One W 24-10 Auburn

Penn State 2006 Outback W 20-10 Tennessee

Wisconsin 2006 Capital One W 17-14 Arkansas

Michigan 2007 Capital One W 41-35 Florida

Big 10 v SEC Bowl Losses (1998-Present)

Purdue 1999 Outback L 25-28 (OT) Georgia

Ohio State 2000 Outback L 7-24 South Carolina

Illinois 2001 Sugar L 34-47 LSU

Michigan 2001 Citrus L 17-45 Tennessee

Ohio State 2001 Outback L 28-31 South Carolina

Penn State 2002 Capital One L 9-13 Auburn

Purdue 2003 Capital One L 27-34 (OT) Georgia

Wisconsin 2003 Music City L 14-28 Auburn

Wisconsin 2004 Outback L 21-24 Georgia

Iowa 2005 Outback L 24-31 Florida

Ohio State 2006 BCS Championship Game L 14-41 Florida

Wisconsin 2007 Outback Bowl L 17-21 Tennessee

Ohio State 2007 BCS Championship Game L 24-38

Cumulative Game Score 691-717

21 games played in Florida - SEC Country

3 games played in Tennessee - SEC Country

2 game played in Louisiana - SEC Country

1 game played in Arizona - Only nuetral site

3 games decided in overtime

7 games decided by a FG or less (4-3 Big 10)

13 games decided by one possession (7-6 Big 10)

9 games decided by 2 TDs or more (4-5 SEC)

Record 14 - 13 (Big 10)

Avg score 27 - 26 SEC

:D Thanks to my good buddies over at BuckeyePlanet

Edited to include all 2007 Bowl results

Edited by theeohiostate

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not funny, that's downright retarded. Maybe I just don't "get" your style of :D fishing... that is, I certainly hope you're :wacko: fishing here. Otherwise..... :D Wow.

Well, of course it's a joke and more so towards Michigan fans then SEC fans at that. Although i still find it funny seeing Michigan getting beat by D-II school :D

Well, of course it's a joke and more so towards Michigan fans then SEC fans at that. Although i still find it funny seeing Michigan getting beat by D-II school :wacko:

OK thank gawd.... I'm having a slow day so pardon my doofusness. :D And yeah, that game killed a parlay of mine. Or was it UMich's losing to Oregon the week after? :D

:D

OK thank gawd.... I'm having a slow day so pardon my doofusness. :wacko: And yeah, that game killed a parlay of mine. Or was it UMich's losing to Oregon the week after? :D

Even a bucks fan has to give it up for Michigan after the year they've had. They finished last season with a shot at the National Title and got beat once again by the Bucks, then they get clobbered by USC, coming into 2007 they along with Penn St are preseason BIG 10 picks to win the conference. Right out of the gate they stumble to App. St and Oregon. I could only imagine the pressure on Carr , Hart and Henne at this point. THIS.....was their season. Seniors with all the hype that hadn't delivered. They pull off a great comeback to the season, but lose at home again against the Bucks. They pull a horrible bowl matchup with #9 Florida, while themselves being unranked. Top it off, the game is in Florida and they get no respect. Add on the retirement of Carr and the hire of RR and you have a making of a huge let down in spirit, but what do you get instead, despite all the odds? A huge win for the outgoing coach and seniors and a program in transition. Can't say a bad thing against this class of Michigan, and I was as happy as any to see them right the ship. A better Michigan is a better Big 10, imo. It only makes the Bucks better in the long run. With Illinois creaping up and Zook at the helm, the hire of RR, has me excited about Big 10 football.

Edited by theeohiostate

Even a bucks fan has to give it up for Michigan after the year they've had. They finished last season with a shot at the National Title and got beat once again by the Bucks, then they get clobbered by USC, coming into 2007 they along with Penn St are preseason BIG 10 picks to win the conference. Right out of the gate they stumble to App. St and Oregon. I could only imagine the pressure on Carr , Hart and Henne at this point. THIS.....was their season. Seniors with all the hype that hadn't delivered. They pull off a great comeback to the season, but lose at home again against the Bucks. They pull a horrible bowl matchup with #9 Florida, while themselves being unranked. Top it off, the game is in Florida and they get no respect. Add on the retirement of Carr and the hire of RR and you have a making of a huge let down in spirit, but what do you get instead, despite all the odds? A huge win for the outgoing coach and seniors and a program in transition. Can't say a bad thing against this class of Michigan, and I was as happy as any to see them right the ship. A better Michigan is a better Big 10, imo. It only makes the Bucks better in the long run. With Illinois creaping up and Zook at the helm, the hire of RR, has me excited about Big 10 football.

I fully expected UMich to contend for a national title. As you said, seniors in Hart and Henne, two outstanding and probably underrated WRs, and what traditionally is a ridiculously good D. :D They DID lose a bunch of key defenders (Woodley, Harris, etc.) and it became common knowledge that the "spread" offense gave them fits.

I agree that a tough UMich team makes for a better Big 11. Obviously OSU will keep reloading, Penn St. will hover around in the top-25, and with upstarts like Illinois (and of course the old standbys like Purdue and Wisconsin), the Big 11 is obviously one of the best conferences in the nation.

Funnier side note after LSU kicks your buckeye arse

What's funny is they'd have to do it 2 times in a row, just to even up the bowl record between the SEC and Big 10 since 1998 :D

LSU should win, just look at the stats i've listed above. It's pretty obvious the SEC is better

Edited by theeohiostate

I'm guessing OSU's 0-8 record against the SEC hasn't helped the BIG 10 cause.....huh?

Hold on, is it 0-8 or 0-9 that OSU is against the SEC? I forgot. I'm sure someone here will have the appropriate record. Maybe a buckeye fan will know it? TOS, can you help me out with this one?

Hold on, is it 0-8 or 0-9 that OSU is against the SEC? I forgot. I'm sure someone here will have the appropriate record. Maybe a buckeye fan will know it? TOS, can you help me out with this one?

Dunno, just check out the stats above, the only thing I'm certain of is ranked SEC teams don't fair well against the Big 10 and we're up 14-12 in the last 26 H2H Bowl meetings, and the Bucks will add to that win total on the 7th. That's about the only history i can report on from the above post. If you have something to add to the record of facts as they are laid out above, please do so :D

:wacko: They didn't win. The refs handed them the victory. Oh, and the homefield advantage helped, too.

Talk about homefield advantages

Of the last 26 Bowl matches between the 2 conferences ONLY ONE in nuetral territory, and yet we still have a winning record :D

1 game played in Louisiana - SEC Country

Edited by theeohiostate

Talk about homefield advantages

Of the last 26 Bowl matches between the 2 conferences ONLY ONE in nuetral territory, and yet we still have a winning record :D

1 game played in Louisiana - SEC Country

Do me a favor. Please list all the bowls (from this bowl season) where you feel the SEC had "homefield". I will end this silliness once and for all.

Do me a favor. Please list all the bowls (from this bowl season) where you feel the SEC had "homefield". I will end this silliness once and for all.

LSU at the Superdome against the Bucks :D

Point of contention is EVERY bowl game for the SEC is land FAR less traveled then the Big 10 , less money spent on traveling mean more fans can attend the game. My travel fees to N.O. are $2000 w/ hotel, in addition to having to buy tickets on top of that. Now , your telling me that doesn't effect the turnout, when LSU fans don't have to spend that kind of cash to get to the game :D

Michigan played Florida in Florida.............no homefield advantage for the Gators ?

Alabama played in Shreveport, La against the Buffalos...............Colorado only had to travel another 1000+ miles to attend the game.

Kentucky played Florida St in Tennessee...............advantage KY fans.

This is a small sampling when you consider it year in and year out. Big 10 teams are playing inside SEC territory over and over, and many times within miles of the homefield stadium of the SEC team they're playing.................IE...........Superdome this year.

Next year the NC game is in Miami,Fla...........I suppose we'll get the same kind of arguement from Gator fans that claim they don't have an advantage over a possible USC - OSU matchup

Edited by theeohiostate

All time Bowl Records

SEC 183-164-13

Big Xcuse 114-116-3

I like the VERY, VERY small sampling :D

Wow, not sure if I'd qualify all time bowl records as "very,very small sampling"

At the end of the day, this is, of course, a pissing match with each side simply pointing to the facts that best support their claims. Now, obviously I'm inclined to think the SEC is the stronger of the two. Of course, I was raised in Pac-10 country so it's not like I'm a dyed in the wool SEC guy. None the less, head to head certainly shouldn't be discounted but it really seems to be essentially a push.

However, one could argue that overall records matter more, especially in light of the fact that, only recently have there been a ton of bowls and smaller schools gotten into the act. For a long time, it was nothing but true upper tiered schools. So, if the SEC was putting up a good record and the Big 10 was not, they were doing so essentially against the same teams. So, maybe the SEC was winning against the SWC, Big 8, Pac 10, Big 12, etc. who, in turn were beating the Big 10. It's hard to say, but unless the Big 10 flat out owns the SEC head to head, which they obviously don't, it doesn't take a homer to defer to overall records. That is, if one is hell bent on claiming conference supremacy.

Of course, if you are, you've got one side who's got evidence to support they're just as good and one side who has evidence they're better. Do you see the difference there?

Now, continue with the sort of dick waving match that you claim never to get involved in.