[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dolphins fire Cameron after 1-15 season

loyalboyd

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080103/ap_on_..._dolphins_coach

By STEVEN WINE, AP Sports Writer

34 minutes ago

DAVIE, Fla. - Cam Cameron was fired as coach of the Miami Dolphins on Thursday by new boss Bill Parcells after only one win in his first season. The dismissal means the reeling franchise will have its fifth coach in five seasons in 2008.

ADVERTISEMENT

Parcells began work Dec. 27 as executive vice president of football operations and quickly concluded the Dolphins need another fresh start.

It has been 37 years since the Dolphins fired a coach. But they never finished 1-15 before.

All but two members of Cameron's coaching staff were also fired, but some might be rehired by the new head coach, the Dolphins said. Retained were assistant special teams coach Steve Hoffman and linebackers coach George Edwards.

Parcells made the decisions in consultation with new general manager Jeff Ireland, hired Wednesday after seven years in player personnel with the Dallas Cowboys. Ireland replaced Randy Mueller, fired Monday after three seasons with Miami.

The early front-runner to replace Cameron is another Cowboys employee, assistant head coach Tony Sparano. He's scheduled to interview Friday for the head-coaching vacancy in Atlanta.

Cameron's firing was announced in a 9 a.m. news release.

"This is a difficult decision, and I want to thank Cam and the rest of his staff for their work this past season," Ireland said in a statement. "By making this decision now, it gives all of the coaches the greatest chance to pursue other opportunities."

Cameron was on the job 11 months before he earned his first victory as an NFL head coach. Until Miami beat Baltimore in overtime Dec. 16, he was in danger of becoming the first coach to go 0-16.

Miami has missed the playoffs six consecutive seasons, a franchise record.

Cameron signed a four-year contract in January. Owner Wayne Huizenga hired him over at least 12 other candidates after a two-week coaching search, the most extensive since the franchise's first season in 1966.

Other coaches — including some good ones — have been fired after only one season with a team. The list includes Cameron mentor Marty Schottenheimer (Washington in 2001), Art Shell (Oakland in 2006) and Pete Carroll (New York Jets in 1994).

Cameron maintained a consistently low-key demeanor with the media and his team. The even-keel approach won praise from the locker room during training camp, but as losses mounted, players became coy when asked if they believed in Cameron.

He was hired after five years as offensive coordinator for the high-scoring San Diego Chargers, and the Dolphins' offense improved early in the season. But when John Beck became the third starter at quarterback this year, the unit failed to score a touchdown in three consecutive games, and the rookie returned to the bench.

Cameron took over a team that had gone 19-29 the previous three years and was in decline following a series of bad drafts. Poor depth made this season's wave of injuries catastrophic.

Running back Ronnie Brown led the league in yards from scrimmage when he was sidelined for the season by a knee injury, and Trent Green and linebacker Zach Thomas also went on injured reserve. When 2002 NFL rushing champion Ricky Williams returned from a suspension, he lasted only six carries before a chest injury ended his season.

In addition, top receiver Chris Chambers was traded after six games.

The coach's office became a revolving door in 2004, when Dave Wannstedt quit after nine games and was replaced by Jim Bates. Nick Saban became the coach in 2005 but lasted only two years before leaving for Alabama. He was succeeded by Cameron.

Seven coaches started a season with a team that went 1-15, and only two returned the following year. Jimmy Johnson went 1-15 his first season in Dallas in 1989 but soon was winning Super Bowls, and Mike Riley remained with San Diego despite winning only once in 2000.

Cameron's only other head coaching job was at Indiana, where he was fired after five seasons. His career record as a head coach is 19-52.

You heard it hear first. Here was my post 1/19/07. Not tooting my horn by any means, but the dude is just not a head coach.

Time will tell of course, but as of right now, I think you're going to be sorely disappointed with Cameron as your head coach if you're a Dolphins' fan.

Not tooting my horn by any means, but the dude is just not a head coach.

Time will tell of course, but as of right now, I think you're going to be sorely disappointed with Cameron as your head coach if you're a Dolphins' fan.

:D

That is the definition of a "toot".

(Pats CR on the back)

It's not as though pointing out that Cam may be "disappointing" as a head coach required much foresight.

:wacko:

That is the definition of a "toot".

(Pats CR on the back)

It's not as though pointing out that Cam may be "disappointing" as a head coach required much foresight.

I dunno. If you read the other posts in the thread, my comment definitely went against the grain.

And it was "sorely disappointed" - much greater impact don'tcha think?

Pat pat... :D

Edited by Cunning Runt

Some would say "he only got one year, and the GM really screwed him"

I'd say "1-15 is enough proof for me, and the fact a lot of the games were relatively close is even more proof..time to go"

That's two straight years the worst team int he league had their coach fired after one year on the job (Art Shell last year). in both cases, looking at it from just the "what's best for the team' and not worrying about "fairness', was the right move.

Did Cameron have a role in the team's decision to trade Chambers and Welker, and to let McMichael walk during free agency? Or was it all Mueller? Those moves were just :D to me.

McMichael really shouldn't be included in Mueller's mistakes... Ask Rams fans how happy they are with Randy McMichael's production.

McMichael really shouldn't be included in Mueller's mistakes... Ask Rams fans how happy they are with Randy McMichael's production.

And McMichael had the off-the-field issues also. I don't recall Chambers being in the news for any trouble.

That Chambers move really seems a little mysterious...

I'll take the 2nd rounder we got for Chambers all day. You guys might see the nice catches he makes on ESPN and his pretty decent stats, but what you don't see are all the passes that bounce off his hands when it's 3rd down while were driving that just killed us. The past few years the drops in important situations got more and more frequent. Chambers was the recipient of a ton of garbage time yardage which if he's on your fantasy team it's great but not so much when he's playing for your football team.

I'll take the 2nd rounder we got for Chambers all day. You guys might see the nice catches he makes on ESPN and his pretty decent stats, but what you don't see are all the passes that bounce off his hands when it's 3rd down while were driving that just killed us. The past few years the drops in important situations got more and more frequent. Chambers was the recipient of a ton of garbage time yardage which if he's on your fantasy team it's great but not so much when he's playing for your football team.

+1,, as a season ticket holder I saw him have the dropses way to often...mostly killing any drive.... :D

the unfair part of all of this for Cam and Mueller was they were planning for the future...

they got rid of or did not try to resign many veteran players for younger guys (Kevin Carter for Matt Roth, Dan Wilkenson for Rodrigue Wright, Sammy Morris, etc)

they traded their number 1 WR for a draft pick (Chambers)

they cut a lot of salary cap eating players on the team, to take the hit this year to be in a better financial situation for next year and beyond (Mcmichael, Jeno James, etc)

and more... they were finally rebuilding the dolphins the way they should, through the draft, they had 10 rookies on the active roster at the start of the season... thats insane... most teams dont even have 10 draft picks in one year, and the dolphins carried 10 active rookies... by the end of the year with all the injuries they had more than that...

but either way it is what it is... for better or worse Tuna wants his own people and hopefully it all works out...

I couldn't agree more. I'd do the same trade all over again right now.