[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Belichick wins COY

budlitebrad

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They polled 41 of the 50 writers who voted.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/footbal...ticleid=1064306

It's kinda like the BCS. As long as you cheat back in September, no one will remember by the end of the season.

Yeap, he had enough tape to know everyone game plan from all the years of cheating he was doing before he was caught anyway.

Yeap, he had enough tape to know everyone game plan from all the years of cheating he was doing before he was caught anyway.
I don't understand how he can get it with the firepower he has. Herm Edwards could have coached them to a 16-0 season. They have so many weapons. How about Mike McCarthy? Does he not get any love?

"After guiding the Packers to a 8-1 record in the first 9 games of the 2007 season, McCarthy recorded the best won-loss ratio to start the first 25 games of a career among active coaches, tying Washington's Joe Gibbs at 16-9. It's also the best coaching start in Packers' history (Vince Lombardi went 15-10)."

I'm with the other guys on this, Mike McCarthy should be COY. 16-0 makes it tough to give to someone else but didn't we all expect the Pats to be great? The Packers on the other hand jumped up a couple of notches and IMO will be in the SB.

I don't understand how he can get it with the firepower he has. Herm Edwards could have coached them to a 16-0 season. They have so many weapons. How about Mike McCarthy? Does he not get any love?

"After guiding the Packers to a 8-1 record in the first 9 games of the 2007 season, McCarthy recorded the best won-loss ratio to start the first 25 games of a career among active coaches, tying Washington's Joe Gibbs at 16-9. It's also the best coaching start in Packers' history (Vince Lombardi went 15-10)."

Herm would have found a way to lose at least 4 games if he coached pats this year :D

Since when is COY specifically a measurement of how far team performance exceeds team expectations? And doesn't 16-0 trump that measurement anyway (considering it's never been done before)?

Disclaimer: I am not a Pats fan. I am just calling it like I see it.

Pats homer here. And while I support the Pats and think that Bill did a great job and deserves the award, I think McCarthy deserves it a little bit more. He has an older almost retired QB (who had a great year), a messed up RB situation early and young WR(Driver excluded). Plus I think they were in a tougher division, although I expected better from the Bears.

Since when is COY specifically a measurement of how far team performance exceeds team expectations? And doesn't 16-0 trump that measurement anyway (considering it's never been done before)?

:D I dunno, maybe because incredibly good COACHING leads to performance exceeding expectations? Seems pretty simple to me. But yeah, I suppose going 16-0 does trump that. Whether that's "right" or "wrong" is the debate, I guess.

Nice to see that a guy whose behavior cost his team a 1st round draft pick is rewarded appropriately. Message well sent & clearly understood.

[devilsadvocate] Maybe the fact that he was voted COY despite "Cameragate" is a testament to how insignificant those rule violations were in relation to the team's success. :D [/devilsadvocate]

They are still picking like 6th due to a trade...

That's completely missing the point BB is making. They're rewarding the guy who got caught cheating this year. I'm not as up in arms as BB is, but it's still a little on the bogus side of things. Conveying a poor message, yeah a little. Rewarding the right guy, probably.

It wouldn't be the first time. Merriman winning awards and getting busted for "supplements" anyone?

Don Shula did NOT win COY when the Phins went 14-0

[devilsadvocate] Maybe the fact that he was voted COY despite "Cameragate" is a testament to how insignificant those rule violations were in relation to the team's success. :D [/devilsadvocate]

the "MEDIA" votes for COY the NFL has nothing to do with it.....which is why I am surprised the BB won....seems to me that outside of Bahston it would be like pulling teeth to get people to vote for him but then again if ESPN has a large enough number of voters I can see why he won

Edited by keggerz

And if the violations had so little to do with the success of the team, why did BB do it?

Belichick is all about mind games. Injury reports and spygate and anything else he could drum up. IMHO - It may help them in some small way, but BB would do the camera spying just to get in other coaches heads. It clearly got into Mangini's head (and everyone else's for that matter).

Actually Shula won the AP, Sporting News, and PFW COY awards in 72. Devine won the UPI award.

And if the violations had so little to do with the success of the team, why did BB do it?

I would think the answer to the BB question would simply be to gain whatever small advantage he can. I'd be interested to know how BB would answer this question though:

Knowing that it would cost you $500K, the team $250K and losing your first round draft pick if you got caught, would you still have taped opposing team's defense signals?

If BB answers yes, than perhaps it really does create an advantage. I doubt anyone knew what the penalty would be for such a rule violation since there hadn't been a precedent. My guess is that BB would not have cheated in hindsight because the benefits (what was gained by the tapes) would not have outweighed the costs ($$$ and draft pick lost).