[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Since the Belichick COY thread got locked

msaint

...that Jack del Rio, who tied for 3rd, deserves BIG credit for having the guts to cut Leftwich and go with the superior, but largely unproven, Garrard (not that Leftwich was overly proven performance-wise, but he was a #7 draft pick and one of the "faces"/alleged future of the franchise. Takes some serious sand as a coach to make a decision like that so close to the start of the season, risking an implosion by the team in training camp, and del Rio desrives some props for a bold and season-altering decision, I think. :D

...that Jack del Rio, who tied for 3rd, deserves BIG credit for having the guts to cut Leftwich and go with the superior, but largely unproven, Garrard (not that Leftwich was overly proven performance-wise, but he was a #7 draft pick and one of the "faces"/alleged future of the franchise. Takes some serious sand as a coach to make a decision like that so close to the start of the season, risking an implosion by the team in training camp, and del Rio desrives some props for a bold and season-altering decision, I think. :D

I agree Jack Del Rio did a wonderful job this season. I also want to give credit to T Fisher of the Titans. I think they are over achieving (given the talent matched with the experience level) and the coaching is what really brings that team together. One of the best coached IMO

Edited by MrTed46

I agree completely. Del Rio has really gained my respect this season. I was kind of down on him for not realizing how much of the problem Leftwich was. But once he make the move to Garrard and ditched Leftwich the team really came around and as the season progressed seem to have finally realized their potential. Of course, had it not been for Fred Taylor getting juiced on the HGH....er....reviving his career, the Jags season might not have been that great despite the move at QB.

If the Pats had lost even one game, you might have made a case for Del Rio. But with the undefeated season there was no way you couldn't give it to Belichick. Definitely impressed with Del Rio though.

Exactly who I was "pimpin'" in that thread. Not only did he make that somewhat-risky play before the season started, but did a heck of a job coaching the team (going 2-2 with Quinn freakin' Gray at the helm while Garrard was out mid-season).

Kudos to Del Rio and his staff. The Steelers are officially nervous. Edit: And perhaps even the Colts/Patriots, too. :D

Edited by darin3

I don't think that the decision to cut Leftwich and dump his salary was a very difficult one, especially after all of Garrard's playing time over the previous two seasons. I agree that Del Rio did a pretty good job this year. But he needs to win a playoff game or two for this season to truly be a success for him.

I think Dungy should've been hands down the runner up to Belichik.

I haven't heard it talked about very much but Indy's D very quietly allowed the fewest points of any team this year. They have lost a bunch of guys via free agency in the past 2 years AND they fixed their run D from last year. Yeah Sanders played in 15 games but a lot of new guys were major contributors... Keiaho and Ed Johnson being the standouts.

Don't know the exact number of games missed by starters but they always seemed to have someone injured or out for a few weeks on both sides of the ball.

Kudos to Del Rio but Dungy's Colts beat them twice including a 22 pt win in Jax while going 5-1 in the division to Jax's 2-4.

I'm not so sure on del Rio. I somewhat suspect his move was more out of desperation to save his job, because he had so few options left. I think the Jags were actually stronger 2 years ago, but his coaching screwed it up. This is borderline 'he got lucky with his hail mary personnel move' than anything else. Why? Leftwich has sucked for YEARS and he stood by him with garrard there as well.

FOXBOROUGH – Patriots coach Bill Belichick opened his Friday press conference (10:45 a.m.) with the following statement:

“A couple of things to start with. I want to acknowledge the Coach of the Year thing yesterday from the AP. It’s certainly an honor, and something I appreciate. I think there are a lot of great coaches in this league. I think there are some guys who have done some fantastic jobs with their team, so it’s really an honor to be selected. At the same time, I think it’s much more of a team award than an individual award based on the success of our team and the players and what they’ve done. Certainly the assistant coaches, they’re the ones that do most of the coaching and most of the preparation. I think they deserve a lot more credit for that than I do but it is certainly an honor to be recognized like that. But I think most of the credit needs to go to the players and the team for winning and for the assistant coaches and the job they did.

“As far as the situation with Josh [McDaniels] goes, I think he’s said what he has to say about it. I really wouldn’t have a whole lot to add to that, other than I think Josh is an outstanding coach, one of the best I’ve worked with. I know he’s young but he’s outstanding, does a great job, and has done in a number of different areas in this organization, and for me personally. I think he has a tremendous future as a coach. As he said, all that is being put aside for right now and we all are focused on our task at hand. We’re all 0-0, right at the bottom with everybody else in the playoffs. So we’re looking forward to trying to get ready to go for our first opponent, and play well next Saturday night. That’s where we’re at.”

I don't think that the decision to cut Leftwich and dump his salary was a very difficult one,

Right, thats why they STILL talk about it on sports radio to this day. It was a huge decision.

I think the Jags were actually stronger 2 years ago, ... Leftwich has sucked for YEARS

I don't think I will need irewish to explain to you how football stupid you appear to be.

Right, thats why they STILL talk about it on sports radio to this day. It was a huge decision.

I don't think I will need irewish to explain to you how football stupid you appear to be.

Just keep gargling del Rio's balls. They'll taste better someday.

Exactly who I was "pimpin'" in that thread. Not only did he make that somewhat-risky play before the season started, but did a heck of a job coaching the team (going 2-2 with Quinn freakin' Gray at the helm while Garrard was out mid-season).

Kudos to Del Rio and his staff. The Steelers are officially nervous. Edit: And perhaps even the Colts/Patriots, too. :D

Props to Del Rio and Jax

they got a solid 1-2 punch at RB and a tight Def. The team is built to be a cold weather team. I want them to beat Pitt so they can play the Pats because I think it would be a great game.

Props to Del Rio and Jax

they got a solid 1-2 punch at RB and a tight Def. The team is built to be a cold weather team. I want them to beat Pitt so they can play the Pats because I think it would be a great game.

I totally agree. The Pats will get punched in the mouth... but I think they still win that game. :D