[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Gibbs Retires

Grits and Shins

He did a nice job with that team this year especially in the wake of Taylors death. I wonder who is out there to replace him. Snyder isnt afraid to spend $ as we all know. They may make a push for Garrett which will not only strengthen them but weaken the boys. Either way they will still be mediocre for at least another decade or 3

:D Well, not shocking but surprised. I figured he would hang in one more. Appreciate all he has done although at times on his second go round was kinda up and down.

:D Cowher?

Cowher already told Blank he wasn't ready to return, so I doubt it. I think Cowher geniunely wants to take some more time off before returning as the Vikings head coach.

Cowher already told Blank he wasn't ready to return, so I doubt it. I think Cowher geniunely wants to take some more time off before returning as the Vikings head coach.

Cowher's deal is that he wanted to take two years off because of his daughters. Both of them are involved in sports at the collegiate level and he wants to be able to spend some time with them. When he said two years, he meant it. Besides, he spent 10 years with one of the classiest organizations in the NFL, why would he ever want to work for Snyder after that is beyond me.

Speaking as a huge Gibbs fan and devotee, it was a shame it took him so long to adapt to the new NFL. He simply could not get over the fact that the league had shifted from a keep the game close till the end, get a three point lead, grind out the clock with three and out conservative running drives, and then let your defense smother the other team on their final drive into a league that changed all its rules to promote and encourage offense and hamper defense, requiring your team to score, score, and keep scoring, even after you get a lead. Today, with 50 seconds and no timeouts, getting into field goal range is pretty damn easy due to all the new rules against D-backs and defenses. The game exists to create offensive opportunites and allow for dramatic finishes. Until the last five games, Gibbs was still getting burned as he tried to grind out wins, taking his foot off the gas pedal in the fourth quarter, only to see his leads disapear. Gibbs and Saunders could not co-exist and their dual presence hurt the team. Even against Seattle, our skitzo offense was evident early, as the conservative GIbbs seemingly called run after run up the gut, leading to nothing but punts. It wasn't until the game was nearly out of reach that we opened up the book a bit. Again, too little too late.

Cheers Joe. You are a class guy and a great man.

Speaking as a huge Gibbs fan and devotee, it was a shame it took him so long to adapt to the new NFL. He simply could not get over the fact that the league had shifted from a keep the game close till the end, get a three point lead, grind out the clock with three and out conservative running drives, and then let your defense smother the other team on their final drive into a league that changed all its rules to promote and encourage offense and hamper defense, requiring your team to score, score, and keep scoring, even after you get a lead. Today, with 50 seconds and no timeouts, getting into field goal range is pretty damn easy due to all the new rules against D-backs and defenses. The game exists to create offensive opportunites and allow for dramatic finishes. Until the last five games, Gibbs was still getting burned as he tried to grind out wins, taking his foot off the gas pedal in the fourth quarter, only to see his leads disapear. Gibbs and Saunders could not co-exist and their dual presence hurt the team. Even against Seattle, our skitzo offense was evident early, as the conservative GIbbs seemingly called run after run up the gut, leading to nothing but punts. It wasn't until the game was nearly out of reach that we opened up the book a bit. Again, too little too late.

Great post. I actually think Parcells had this problem as well

"I actually think Parcells had this problem as well"

For guys like Parcells and Gibbs, that style of play was the blue print for success in the 80s. Gibbs twice caught offensive lighting in a bottle with Rypien and Joe T., but other than that, he made a living running downhill in the fourth quarter keeping both good and bad teams close, but at bay.

In the 80s, I can remember the Skins playing the Giants and me sitting on pins and needles hoping Skins would get that 4th quarter lead before the Giants...cause everybody knew what would happen late in the game. Both coaches would go into their prevent offense mode and with the defensive mugging that was allowed back in the day, you could forget about sniffing the 35yd line for a field goal unless you got lucky.

Only a Joe Gibbs coached team could produce a kicker as the league MVP (Mark Moseley, 1982).

Ahh...the good old days. brings a tear to me eye.

Keep in mind that this is what he told Blank, the owner of the Atlanta Falcons. That's the 4-12, 5 HC's in 5 years Atlanta Falcons.

Cowher probably has better things to do... like spend time with his family or rearrange his sock drawer.

RE: Gibbs...

I generally dislike the Redskins but I like Gibbs. Yeah he's old school but he never came across as such a d!ck like Parcells.

Edited by kingfish247

Well said. I am surprised at this. Campbell seemed to be coming into his own, the D (even w/o Taylor) is solid etc. They might've been one good WR away from being legit.

However as a anti-Snyderite, I love it :D I wish he'd just sell the team so I could go back to rooting for them.

Edited by BeeR