[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who wins: Jax @ NE

H8tank

123 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins: Jax @ NE

• Jaguars
    • Patriots

In the Belichick era, the Pats have had 3 years where they have had a first round bye.

All three years they won the championship (2 of those years they had to win the AFC Championship on the road).

The years where they had to play in the Wildcard Round, they went a respectable 3-2, but ended up losing on the road at some point in the playoffs.

With the bye and homefield throughout.....

I just don't see the Pats losing this game.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the key in this game is stopping Wes Welker. If they do that Jags win.

They'll have to combine that with overpowering the NE OL otherwise Brady will simply switch to Gaffney / Stallworth, assuming Moss is doubled. Also, NE will likely play Faulk a lot if they get stymied for WRs.

All this assumes the referees don't notice the Jags have 14 defenders on the field.

Jax pounds the rock and the teams who have had the best success against the Pats this year did so with strong running games. I mean, it's not like Balt was able to run because NE was worried about Boller. So, it has been shown that if you line up and say, "We're going to run" you can still do so against NE.

Lastly, their D is solid and they hit people. The teams that outplayed NE this year did so because they hit people.

I like their chances more than most it seems.

+1

My biggest concern is the Jags ability to get pressure on Brady,but on the otherside of the ball I think the Jags will beat the Patriots defense up unless that week off provided a miracle cure.

Edited by xtra

"this game shouldn't be close." As BeeR said.....keep on fishin...this is of the deep sea type.

I can never get enough of the crazy emoticon with the bulging eyes....the face says it all, hahaha!

so you think this game "shouldn't be close", but why? can you give any sorta insight as to why is "shouldn't be close"?

before you go and spout off I will throw a few things out there for public consumption:

The best way to limit the Pats offense is to control the clock(TOP)...i think everyone can agree with that.

Jags were #3 in the NFL in TOP

How they accomplished that was with a STOUT rushing attack and a passing attack that took care of the ball

Jax NFL rankings:

#2 in rushing attempts

#3(tied) in yards per carry(4.6)

#4 in rushing TDs

#2 in rushing 1st downs

#4 in 20+ yards rushes

#26 in Fumbles(4) yes they protect the ball

#32 in INTs thrown(8) yes they protect the ball here too

#7 in yards per game

#5(tie) in yards per play

28th in penalty yards

#6 in snaps faces(for their defense of course)

#3 in INTs for a defense

#9 in Sacks

#7 defensively pass completion % allowed(58.7%)

#6(Tie) fewest Passing TDs allowed

#6(tie) defensively for avg. yards/play allowed(6.7)

In the end the Jags have a very good defense(better with John Henderson) and their offense is the kind that can give the pats fits with its ball control style. For those that think this will be a blowout simply because they Pats went 16-0 are very possibly gonna be in for a rude awakening. Its a whole different ballgame in the playoffs. Yes the pats could still go 19-0 but there is no way they do it like they were earlier in the season....they will be tested for what should be 60 mins in each and every game.

now I dont know but looking at it I see this game having the distinct possibility of being very close

but I am sure you can tell us why it wont be.

again...i could never trust a team lead by del rio and tice....and i saw garrard turn into the man who used to grace heinz field and throw balls over a receivers head for ints, kordell stewart, last week....

i really hope anyone isnt pinning their hopes on the jags run game flattening the patriots....because you saw balitmore run the ball down their throats over a month ago....richard seymour is finally around 100 percent...and the patriots have had some more rest....this simply will not happen in the playoffs

the clock strikes midnight for the jags saturday night....unfortunately it may happen at like 9:30

The Jags can be beaten because they really aren't that good against a good/great passing team. They don't put a lot of pressure on the QB. Mathis is overrated.

The Jags are also one dimensional on offense. If you can stop the run, even if you have to commit more guys to do it, you can have success. Garrard is a average, safe QB. His WR's stink. They are all posession guys with very little speed. The Jags can dink and dunk down the field, especially if their running game is working, but usually end up making mistakes if they play that game.

Edited by CaptainHook

again...i could never trust a team lead by del rio and tice....and i saw garrard turn into the man who used to grace heinz field and throw balls over a receivers head for ints, kordell stewart, last week....

i really hope anyone isnt pinning their hopes on the jags run game flattening the patriots....because you saw balitmore run the ball down their throats over a month ago....richard seymour is finally around 100 percent...and the patriots have had some more rest....this simply will not happen in the playoffs

the clock strikes midnight for the jags saturday night....unfortunately it may happen at like 9:30

the Pats were tied for the 5th worst yards per carry in the NFL this year...and they faced the fewest # of rushing attempts due to their leads...to simply say that the jags wont be able to have any success is just your failure to admit that your team can be run on but that your offense sure helped to cover up that weakness(but baltimore sure did get a chance to magnify it)

The Jags can be beaten because they really aren't that good against a good/great passing team. They don't put a lot of pressure on the QB. Mathis is overrated.

The Jags are also one dimensional on offense. If you can stop the run, even if you have to commit more guys to do it, you can have success. Garrard is a average, safe QB. His WR's stink. They are all posession guys with very little speed. The Jags can dink and dunk down the field, especially if their running game is working, but usually end up making mistakes if they play that game.

Northcutt is far from a slow possession receiver.

Did you miss Kegz post? How do you discount all those stats?

Receivers are slow? I guess you missed the MJD pass out on the flat... where he left the defenders in the dust. The WR are slow? So is Plaxico burress, so what? Lets see them tackle Reggie williams with a full head of steam, or out muscle Wilford for the ball.

And Kegz didn't even touch on the Special Teams, which are just about the top 10 in the league in every category.

The Jags take care of the football and have an upper echelon defense. We have seen it in years past where you dont have to have a team carried by QB play. I am not saying that Jax will definitely win this game...but i am saying that I think they will give NE a run and that they very well could win and it wouldnt surprise me. And I wouldnt call mathis overrated

dont have to have a team carried by QB play.

:D

#3 passer rating, the least INT for regular season with over 300 attempts in the history of the league.

24+ points 11 straight games?

You are on crack if you don't think this offense, and Garrard can put points up.

first let me say that if the team that beat Pitt shows up they LOSE to the PATS no question about it....they have to protect the football....but with that said I think that the experience of that game will in turn help Garrard more then hurt him....people say it all the time that playoff experience is invaluable and well mr. garrard got some last week....the difference between Garrad and Krydell is that Garrad still got the win.

:D

#3 passer rating, the least INT for regular season with over 300 attempts in the history of the league.

24+ points 11 straight games?

You are on crack if you don't think this offense, and Garrard can put points up.

i was just stating that for a team to win it doesnt have to have dominant QB play....i for one think that garrad isnt getting the respect he deserves, i think he had an awesome season. I mean he even threw fewer INTs then the great God Brady did.

Receivers are slow? I guess you missed the MJD pass out on the flat... where he left the defenders in the dust. The WR are slow? So is Plaxico burress, so what? Lets see them tackle Reggie williams with a full head of steam, or out muscle Wilford for the ball.

MJD is a RB. Not a WR. Reggie needs to actually catch the ball before he can take on a tackler, which isn't his strong suit. And Wilford is just a guy. Not very talented. They don't create seperation. Plaxico makes up for it by being able to fight for balls in traffic. Williams and Wilford aren't even close to being in his category in that area. And the Jags line will struggle with the Pats 3-4, giving the slow WR's even less time to get open. None of Jax's WR demand a double team. Play the run. Play the backs. You will beat the Jags. That's how the Colts do it.

MJD is a RB. Not a WR. Reggie needs to actually catch the ball before he can take on a tackler, which isn't his strong suit. And Wilford is just a guy. Not very talented. They don't create seperation. Plaxico makes up for it by being able to fight for balls in traffic. Williams and Wilford aren't even close to being in his category in that area. And the Jags line will struggle with the Pats 3-4, giving the slow WR's even less time to get open. None of Jax's WR demand a double team. Play the run. Play the backs. You will beat the Jags. That's how the Colts do it.

well there you have it the jags dont even need to show up....do you think the pats new they only had to play the run in balt? I mean they had a suck ass pass offense. How one team matchs up and plays another team shouldnt really enter into this....i mean there always seems to be a team that can never beat x but has no problem beating y but y seems to never have a problem beating x. I also think one of the things you will see the jags do is to create with Garrads running ability. Again, i dont know if jax will win but i sure think they give them a run

so you think this game "shouldn't be close", but why? can you give any sorta insight as to why is "shouldn't be close"?

before you go and spout off I will throw a few things out there for public consumption:

The best way to limit the Pats offense is to control the clock(TOP)...i think everyone can agree with that.

Jags were #3 in the NFL in TOP

That's great that the Jags were #3 in Time of Possession, but you neglect the fact that the Pats were #2 in TOP.

So even though the Pats had a quick strike offense for the ages, they were still # 2 in TOP.

Go back and see how the Pats have beaten Pittsburgh in the playoffs.... They've shut down the run and forced the QB (Stewart in 2001 and a rookie Big Ben in 2004) to win the game. They will slow down the Jags rushing attack (slow down, not stop), tighten up in the red zone, and force Garrard to beat them.

The Pats have the 10th best rush defense in the league (1 up on the Jags) and are 4th best in total yards per game (8 up on the Jags).

Edited by charty