[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Riddle me this...

keggerz

the greatest coach ever, especially at making adjustments then why has the Patriot run D gotten progressively worse as the season has progressed?

Weeks 1-5 the Patriots faced

102 rushing attempts(20.4/game) for 376 yards(75.2/game) which is a 3.69 YPC

but then over the next 11 weeks(6-17) they faced

257 rushing attempts(23.4/game) for 1199 yards(109/game) which is a 4.67 YPC

and it got even worse....

Weeks 13-17(final 5 games) the Patriots faced

127 rushing attempts(25.4/game) for 624 yards(124.8/game) which is a 4.91 YPC

I mean seriously, Belichick is supposed to be this great coach at making adjustments yet over the course of the season

his rush defense has gotten PROGRESSIVELY WORSE. This week they are going to face a JAGS team that runs the ball

VERY WELL. So well that they were the #2 Rushing team in the NFL this year: #2 in yards, #2 in YPC(4.6), #2 in Yards/Game(149.4)

#2 in Attempts/game(32.6), #4 in TDs, #2 in rushing 1st downs, . But hey Belichick has TWO weeks to prepare for the Jags, I guess its logical that he would be able to fix

the rush defense over that 2 week period even though he couldnt fix it over the last 11 games. Something tells me that the older guys

on D are wearing down and I dont think you can fix that with game planning. Maybe Rodney Harrison can fix it with some HGH but I

honestly dont know how long it would take for that stuff to work. Oh wait, taking HGH would constitute cheating so we know they wont

be doing that. :D

Edited by keggerz

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

your long winded analysis on the Pats rushing Defense and shortcomings of Maroney on the other thread weren't enough, so why not start a new thread?

Makes sense

:D

no this is a serious question....why has the Pats Rush D gotten progressively worse...as for why a new thread...its because it is a topic that really stands on its own and will probably garner more input by having its own thread...now if you want to give us some insight as a homer as to why the Rush D has gotten progressively worse it would be very much appreciated :D

Ya know... I started typing up a response, until I realized that I'm not the fish that you are looking for. :D:D

if the Vikes were in the playoffs and their D stats were getting progressively worse like the ones above would you not be concerned?

if the Vikes were in the playoffs and their D stats were getting progressively worse like the ones above would you not be concerned?

I'd be more concerned that someone replaced Brad Childress and Tarvaris Jackson with alien pod people in order to get us into the playoffs. :D

no this is a serious question....why has the Pats Rush D gotten progressively worse...as for why a new thread...its because it is a topic that really stands on its own and will probably garner more input by having its own thread...now if you want to give us some insight as a homer as to why the Rush D has gotten progressively worse it would be very much appreciated :D

Ok I really don't care about the "regular season" rush Def it's over with and they won every game. The playoffs are a whole new season let's see what happens on Sat night with the Pats Rush Def it will be a great test for them and will more than likeley determine the outcome of their post season effort.

Ok I really don't care about the "regular season" rush Def it's over with and they won every game. The playoffs are a whole new season let's see what happens on Sat night with the Pats Rush Def it will be a great test for them and will more than likeley determine the outcome of their post season effort.

so you aren't concerned with their Rush D at all? If they won all 16 games but lost Brady or Moss going into the playoffs would you not be concerned because "its a new season"? The one thing you and I do both agree on is that the playoffs are a different beast then the Regular Season BUT I for one wouldnt be able to look the other way if my rush d was playing so poorly, it would be a major concern for me.

I'll bite...I always do.

The Patriot Defense is only getting older and more banged up as we go along. So just maybe they wore down as the season went on and not being spring chickens anymore we're starting to see why they'll most likely be looking for LBs in this year's draft, especially with an early pick. Not to mention maybe they don't give a crap about stopping the run as with their big leads all that does is pick up smaller chunks of yards at a time and keep the clock running. I do think though that it has more to do with the aging D and specifically LBs. They are technically sound but aren't fast and can be had if they miss an assignment or are late picking something up.

so you aren't concerned with their Rush D at all? If they won all 16 games but lost Brady or Moss going into the playoffs would you not be concerned because "its a new season"? The one thing you and I do both agree on is that the playoffs are a different beast then the Regular Season BUT I for one wouldnt be able to look the other way if my rush d was playing so poorly, it would be a major concern for me.

well they didn't lose Brady or Moss so I really don't care.

I'll bite...I always do.

The Patriot Defense is only getting older and more banged up as we go along. So just maybe they wore down as the season went on and not being spring chickens anymore we're starting to see why they'll most likely be looking for LBs in this year's draft, especially with an early pick. Not to mention maybe they don't give a crap about stopping the run as with their big leads all that does is pick up smaller chunks of yards at a time and keep the clock running. I do think though that it has more to do with the aging D and specifically LBs. They are technically sound but aren't fast and can be had if they miss an assignment or are late picking something up.

i think you are pretty spot on in your assessment about the LBs/D but i also dont care about the draft. This is with regards to their playoff run.

well they didn't lose Brady or Moss so I really don't care.

the brady moss part was just to try and give a comparison...so what you are saying is that you aren't concerned about their rush D getting progressively worse?

Let's see, they've scored more points this season than any team in the history of the NFL.

If teams want to run, let them run.

Dude, weeks 1-5 they played the Jets, Bills, Bengals and Browns. End of the season they played Baltimore, Pittsburgh, NYG, etc. Schedule may have a little something to do with this.

Edit to add that teams were forced to throw against the Pats earlier in the season becaue the Pats were up 3 scores on everyone by the second quarter. Near the end of the season, due to weather, fatigue, etc. the Pats didn't hold such large leads early, so teams were able to stay committed to the run longer. More carries = more chances to break one.

Edited by MTSuper7

the brady moss part was just to try and give a comparison...so what you are saying is that you aren't concerned about their rush D getting progressively worse?

Sure I am but with two weeks to rest and an entire new season ahead for them we'll see how they pan out tomorrow. The loss of Colvin for the season hurt them midway through. I Have confidence that the well rested Pats will step up and be prepared for the Jags running game.

i think you are pretty spot on in your assessment about the LBs/D but i also dont care about the draft. This is with regards to their playoff run.

I realize you don't care about the draft as it's after the fact. I just added that point to support the belief that their D is getting old and that is a very good reason why they have a suspect run defense. The idea that they're talking in-house about taking LBs early in the draft to replace what they have now tells you that it's currently a weakness that needs to be addressed. As the season has worn on they have shown their age. That's also why some out there think the Jags are just the type of team to take the Patriots out. Control the clock and wear down that defensive unit with Freddy T and MJD. I don't think it will happen but if there's always a chance and that is the Jags best gameplan.

Dude, weeks 1-5 they played the Jets, Bills, Bengals and Browns. End of the season they played Baltimore, Pittsburgh, NYG, etc. Schedule may have a little something to do with this.

Another fisherman.

Pats were 6-0 against playoff teams.

Jags were 4-3 against playoff teams.

Pats won @ Indy and @ Dallas - Both regarded as the #2 and #3 teams in the league all season long.

Rushing Rankings in ( )

weeks 1-5

NYJ(19)

SD(7)

BUFF(15)

Cinn(24)

CLEV(10)

Weeks 13-17

Balt(16)

Pitt(3)

NYJ(19)

MIA(23)

NYG(4)

They played the jets over in both spans...the ravens had basically NO passing game and they abused the pats with their Rush game.

And in MIA they let Lorenzo Booker, Samkon Gado & Jesse Chatman run for 103 yards on 20 carries. Pitt was a tough run team no doubt.

The Giants were held to 4.16 YPC which was the Pats best effort over the final 5 weeks.

You say that their schedule got touhger, do you not expect the schedule to get tougher as the playoffs go forward :D

Edit to add that teams were forced to throw against the Pats earlier in the season becaue the Pats were up 3 scores on everyone by the second quarter. Near the end of the season, due to weather, fatigue, etc. the Pats didn't hold such large leads early, so teams were able to stay committed to the run longer. More carries = more chances to break one.

so you are saying that there is nothing wrong with their Run D :D

Damn I did not want to bite but I guess I will.....

Everyone is always quick to point out the Balt game and how they were "abused" This is called an off-game. Every team has it and it just so happens that the Pats were lucky (and yes I do mean very very lucky) to win this game.

The Pats D got worst at the end of the season, while I do think this is a concern allow me to put a different spin on it. They did not care about those games. Since day one that team has said a perfect season means nothing to them. The Pats were playing out of their mind at the beginning of the season and did not give their best effort toward the end of the season because the games meant nothing. I find it hard to believe that this will happen in the playoffs.

I do not understand how everyone can say that Jax matches well with the Pats. So they can run the ball it is not going to matter when they are down 3 scores. The Jags weakness on D is their secondary! Can anyone tell me what the Pats strength on O is please. The Pats are going to be able to score at will against this team.

As for the Pats running attack not being that great..Who Cares. I would not be surprised if you see the Pats rush a total of 10 times this entire game. Why would they try to pound the rock when that is playing right to the Jags strength.

34 - 10 Pats then the real superbowl happens when Indy comes to Foxboro :D