[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Smoking First Brisket

Donny  Kerabatsos

I am smoking my first brisket via my new weber bullet. Pumped. I am doing the "Dallas Dandy Brisket" from the Smoke and Spice book. Question on moping.... Do I mop both sides? How much too apply? Recipe calls for a mop per hour, good advice? thanks in advance

I usually just mop the top and let it drizzle down, but you can do both if you want. Make sure you put the brisket on the smoker fat side up. Don't be shy with the mop: you cannot mop too much.

And yes, mop every hour.

When the brisket is done, let it rest for a good 45 minutes before you cut it.

Edited by Chief Dick

Make sure you put the brisket on the smoker fat side up.

I read somewhere fat side down protects the meat from the heat somewhat. Anyway I did my one and only one that way and it turned out fine. Didn't even use a mop (the big green egg helps with that).

For a pork butt I always put the fat side up but on brisket it doesn't really break down the same way such that it would add moisture to the meat.

I read somewhere fat side down protects the meat from the heat somewhat. Anyway I did my one and only one that way and it turned out fine. Didn't even use a mop (the big green egg helps with that).

For a pork butt I always put the fat side up but on brisket it doesn't really break down the same way such that it would add moisture to the meat.

Fat side up allows the moisture from the fat to drizzle down the meat throughout the whole cooking process. If you put the fat side down that moisture is wasted in the bottom of your grill/smoker/egg.