[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Somebody remind me again ...

Grits and Shins

And yes, I do prefer tradition over the BCS. But if you come up with a FAIR and viable playoff system, then absolutely I'm all for it. But we've had the BCS for 10 seasons, and it hasnt solved any more than what it was before, and it actually made more games less important. Yep, great system rocker. I say, lets do it for all sports. Screw everyone. Lets let the a$$hole coaches and biased media, arbitrarily decide every year who is gonna play in the Super Bowl. NBA Championship? Lets poll people in September. Lets just wipe away nearly every single team right out of the gates before the ball is even tipped. Great plan.

Werd.

Far more often than BCS has given us a real solution to the NC that the bowls were unable to provide (see USC v Texas), they've given us the same crap and speculation that we had before. Only, at the expense of traditional rivalries.

So, great, somebody gets to hoist a trophy. Only, as a fan, I'm still not satisfied. Are you saying that if USC played OSU and LSU played some other top team in the Sugar Bowl we'd be any worse off? The title that LSU has is no more deserved than the one that everyone would have ultimately voted on if both LSU and USC won their respective games.

Give me a play-off or just go back to how it was.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right about the BCS. It's no coincidence that the SEC and especially LSU has finally started to win NC's ever since the origination of the BCS. Prior to that the Big 10 had convinced us they were a good conference and were worthy opponents to the PAC10 each year. IMO Pete Carrol & USC will probably be leading the charge for the PAC 10 to push the Rose Bowl towards a playoff now that the SEC has taken away their little bitch.

Wow, what a BRILLIANT post. I have nothing more to say... what a GENIUS post. You're right, the Big Ten NEVER has worthy opponents. Gotta love how you make about a half dozen posts about how the BCS is a better system than the NFL system, then dodge about a half dozen facts completely blowing apart that stupid argument with another stupid post about how the Big Ten isn't worthy. Pure genius.

Werd.

Far more often than BCS has given us a real solution to the NC that the bowls were unable to provide (see USC v Texas), they've given us the same crap and speculation that we had before. Only, at the expense of traditional rivalries.

So, great, somebody gets to hoist a trophy. Only, as a fan, I'm still not satisfied. Are you saying that if USC played OSU and LSU played some other top team in the Sugar Bowl we'd be any worse off? The title that LSU has is no more deserved than the one that everyone would have ultimately voted on if both LSU and USC won their respective games.

Give me a play-off or just go back to how it was.

:D

Traditional rivalries would be better ... in the end a bunch of guys in the media are voting in the NC why not do it in a structure that allows the traditional rivalries to still take place. The NC would still be bogus but at least the individual rivalry games would carry meaning for their fans.

Not only that, but it's more inclusive. Instead of screwing the field (in many cases in August) you could have 3 or 4 meaningful bowl games. Now you just have 1. The BCS pundits will say, but under the old system we wouldn't have gotten Ohio State-Miami or USC-Texas, and that's very true, but those are also years where I would have loved to see a playoff just as much as this year too, and those are also 2 of very few years, where at the end of the year, you weren't scratching your head on who really won this thing. And oh by the way, Miami earned its trip in August, and USC and Texas earned theirs in August, which is really the worst part about this terrible system.

Oh and lets not forget, LSU was preseason ranked #2, so even they were arbitrarily picked back in August to play in the national championship game. It's a system designed to keep the powerhouses a power.

Brian I hear there are ways for you to make alot of $$$$ in Vegas if you truly don't believe in preseason polls. :D

And is this supposed to prove what? That the BCS is a good system?

Just saying... you claim the preseason rankings are without merit which we both know is just plain silly. Are they 100% accurate of course not, but I'm certainly not making a living predicting how wrong they are. In case you didn't know Vegas offers over and unders for the number on wins a team will have prior to the start of the season. My guess is that in most cases they can predict within a game or two. So please quit whining about preseason polls especially since the BCS doesn't have them.

Edited by Rockerbraves

Just saying... you claim the preseason rankings are without merit which we both know is just plain silly. Are they 100% accurate of course not, but I'm certainly not making a living predicting how wrong they are. In case you didn't know Vegas offers over and unders for the number on wins a team will have prior to the start of the season. My guess is that in most cases they can predict within a game or two. So please quit whining about preseason polls especially since the BCS doesn't have them.

No, the BCS only uses polls as 2/3rds of their formula. You're completely missing the point. The point is, LSU had an unfair HEAD START over every other team. Again I reference 2004 as the ultimate example. USC and Oklahoma started 1 and 2 in the polls. Meanwhile, Auburn, wins the SEC going undefeated (you know what great teams do), but because they weren't selected way back in August, they don't have a shot. That's fair? You're telling me a playoff system wouldn't have been better? You're saying that's fair?

No, the BCS only uses polls as 2/3rds of their formula. You're completely missing the point. The point is, LSU had an unfair HEAD START over every other team. Again I reference 2004 as the ultimate example. USC and Oklahoma started 1 and 2 in the polls. Meanwhile, Auburn, wins the SEC going undefeated (you know what great teams do), but because they weren't selected way back in August, they don't have a shot. That's fair? You're telling me a playoff system wouldn't have been better? You're saying that's fair?

It's fair under the rules agreed upon prior to the start of the season. Please remind me not to play golf with some of you guys since you seem to like to change the rules after the start of the competition. I don't see many SEC fans making claim that Auburn was the best team that year.

FYI: LSU didn't rank themselves number 2, but I can see why anyone with any football knowledge might considered they were returning a crap load of starters who finished ranked #3 the season before. Sorry preseason rankings are not going away, but as I stated before the BCS doesn't include them anyway.

You are right about the BCS. It's no coincidence that the SEC and especially LSU has finally started to win NC's ever since the origination of the BCS. Prior to that the Big 10 had convinced us they were a good conference and were worthy opponents to the PAC10 each year. IMO Pete Carrol & USC will probably be leading the charge for the PAC 10 to push the Rose Bowl towards a playoff now that the SEC has taken away their little bitch.

Didn't an unranked Michigan team beat a ranked Florida team in a bowl game this year?

It's fair under the rules agreed upon prior to the start of the season. Please remind me not to play golf with some of you guys since you seem to like to change the rules after the start of the competition. I don't see many SEC fans making claim that Auburn was the best team that year.

FYI: LSU didn't rank themselves number 2, but I can see why anyone with any football knowledge might considered they were returning a crap load of starters who finished ranked #3 the season before. Sorry preseason rankings are not going away, but as I stated before the BCS doesn't include them anyway.

Ahh yes, the classic rocker, trying to dodge the real point I was making by trying to say I was making a different point. I knew you would go there. No one ( at least I'm not) is questioning ANY of the champions that have won the BCS title. The issue here, is, is the system itself a fair way to decide it, and the answer is no. No one is denying, that these teams played within the system.

And no, the BCS doesn't use Those preseason polls. However, those preseason polls give teams an unfair head start over EVERYBODY else, and eventually, the BCS uses those polls as 2/3rds of their formula.

The issue isn't if somebody THINKS Auburn was better that year, the issue is they weren't even given a chance to PROVE they were better.

So when you play golf, does one player get to start 3 under par and another one 2 under.... and so on?

So when you play golf, does one player get to start 3 under par and another one 2 under.... and so on?

We do handicap the weaker players by giving them a couple of strokes. Guess you wouldn't want any against Tiger Woods since that would be pre-judging your game. :D

And we do change the rules of golf sometimes if the situation dictates like mulligans on the 1st tee shot, gimmie putts inside a predesignated distance which is marked on everyone's putter & things like that. Yeah those rules can be tweaked depending on the situation, but as long as they are discussed and agreed upon by all the players involved no one complains after they lose. Unlike many on this forum.

Sorry Brian, he's all yours now. I've run out of patience.

He loves the system. I can't say I blame him. LSU won within that system twice. Under a real playoff, it's highly unlikely they win in either of those, especially if they would have had to travel outside the state of Louisiana to do so. The system has been tailor made for LSU twice, so he loves it. If his team got ripped off like Auburn, or USC in 2003, or Oregon in 2001, or Washington/Miami in 2000, he'd be up here singing a different tune.

Yes, and so, in golf, if they used some stupid formula like the BCS, and pre ranked teams, almost everyone agrees, Tiger Woods is #1. Ok, so tiger Woods automatically, has the lowest score simply because we vote him #1. So before he even swings a club, he has a lead over everyone else. No one is saying that we change the rules midseason rocker. We are saying the rules suck now, lets change them to a more inclusive system. You can't go back. You seem to think that by me being anti BCS, I don't think LSU deserves their crystal trophy. Nothing could be further from the truth. They won it. The issue here, is the rules themselves. Some rules are stupid and need to be changed. And any system that gives some teams an advantage over other teams before a down has even been played, is a stupid rule.

He loves the system. I can't say I blame him. LSU won within that system twice. Under a real playoff, it's highly unlikely they win in either of those, especially if they would have had to travel outside the state of Louisiana to do so. The system has been tailor made for LSU twice, so he loves it. If his team got ripped off like Auburn, or USC in 2003, or Oregon in 2001, or Washington/Miami in 2000, he'd be up here singing a different tune.

Like I have said numerous times the BCS is by far better than anything we have had in the past. Until the Big 10, Pac 10 and Rose Bowl change their ways you are wasting your time talking about what ifs. Keep in mind, unlike you I feel LSU would have been back to back NC if a playoff was in place last year, since we would have been able to throw out that road loss to the Gators.

Yes, and so, in golf, if they used some stupid formula like the BCS, and pre ranked teams, almost everyone agrees, Tiger Woods is #1. Ok, so tiger Woods automatically, has the lowest score simply because we vote him #1. So before he even swings a club, he has a lead over everyone else.

Tiger Woods does get some earned advantages over other golfers by playing well the year before like getting automatic invites to all the majors while others have to go out and earn their qualifications. Is that so wrong? I've been saying this so awhile now but you refuse to beleive me that winning a NC is more like a 2 or 3 year process. I recognize it so I don't see why you can't.

It's fair under the rules agreed upon prior to the start of the season.

What does this have to do with anything ... I addressed this earlier and you ignored it then too. Just because criteria is agreeded upon (and I would argue that the only people that agree are those in charge with all the money that stand to lose the most in a real playoff system) prior to the season does not mean it is unbiased. The bias of the ones that established the criteria is reflected in the criteria itself. If I was in charge and decided BEFORE the season that the Big 12 was the most supreme conference in all of football and that their strength of schedule would be deemed the hardest thus making any win against a Big 12 team more meaningful than a win against any other team wouldn't you accuse me of establishing a biased criteria.

And presuming for a minute that the criteria used was unbiased (and it is not) that does not mean the system in place works or is fair. We have seen time and time again that the NC game as set up by the BCS is a farce, I don't think many despute this (except for select LSU fans that have been awarded two bogus BCS titles). The system in place leaves the door open to question who the real NC is, despite whom the media crowns as their darling of the moment. I would think that any fan would prefer their team actually WIN the championship and be the undisputed champion, something that can only happen in a playoff system. I guess there are some fans that believe their school can only win NC titles if they get the most votes.

LSU won the beauty contest this year, and they needed help from the other contestants to do it. Early on in the swim suit competition LSU flopped, then they also flopped in the even gown competition and it looked like there was no way they would be deemed the most beautiful contestant. Until the rest of the favored contestants flopped when the emcee asked them some stupid meaningless question. As the question part of the competition was the most recent is was most recent in the minds of the judges and there stood the homely little old LSU and she was awarded the crown.

Be proud ... put your make up on and your high heels, your one evening gown and the NC tiara that the BC awarded to you and parade around town exclaiming to everybody that you are prettiest. We all know that the tiara is made of fool's gold and zirconium.

The system in place leaves the door open to question who the real NC is, despite whom the media crowns as their darling of the moment. I would think that any fan would prefer their team actually WIN the championship and be the undisputed champion, something that can only happen in a playoff system. I guess there are some fans that believe their school can only win NC titles if they get the most votes.

How did we get to high heels? I respect your opinion, but I'm quite happy with the matchup & results that my Tigers produced against the bucks. To say some other team could of would of should of produced a better game or different results is simply speculation especially the way the Tigers played that Monday night. Finishing the season 5-0 against AP top 15 teams says enough for me.

How did we get to high heels? I respect your opinion, but I'm quite happy with the matchup & results that my Tigers produced against the bucks. To say some other team could of would of should of produced a better game or different results is simply speculation especially the way the Tigers played that Monday night. Finishing the season 5-0 against AP top 15 teams says enough for me.

Of course it is enough for you. Your team got the cream puff Buckeyes instead of a real challenger.

Rocker, again... you have no rebuttal for the fact that in a given tournament, lets say the Masters... The Masters starts in April. In March, a panel of media folk rank the players participating in the Masters. The higher you are ranked, the lower under par you start the tournament.

THAT is exactly how the BCS works, and you like it because it's worked out for LSU twice. It's an awful system, and unlike you, I haven't swayed on it ever. I've been against it since day 1. I don't dislike it some years, and think it's the greatest system ever in 2003 and 2007. Even when Ohio State won in 2002, I was happy a Big Ten team won it all, but I still didn't change my opinion that the system sucks