[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Conference Championship weather

DMD

Some people seem to be getting hung up on the Chicago game. But it was the WIND that was the big problem for the Packers that day. Not the cold. I don't see the weather being an issue.

Edited by rattsass

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was abou

I know the Packers played poorly in Chicago in the cold, but I still think the weather conditions are a big advantage for the home team. The team playing in its own stadium is going to be naturally more mentally comfortable, which is the key. You never want to disappoint your home fans, but especially when your fans are sitting in the cold -- no heaters, no blood-pumping activity (only booze) -- and you STILL lose, it's that much more embarrassing for the players. So, I believe it's an added emotional/mental advantage for the home team.

Well said. The Chicago game was very windy and in this weather I think that is the biggest issue. Soldiers Field is right off the lake whereas Lambeau is on Green Bay about 30 miles from the lake itself.

Either way they are saying 10MPH winds today. Those winds don't knock punts and kicks straight down and re-direct passes. I really think Chicago has worse weather.

Judging by the total collapse of GB in freezing conditions in Chicago earlier this year, horrendous cold isn't going to be a home field advantage for the Packers. I'd say it's going to be more of a leveler and give the Giants a better chance.

That could be the case for a very young Packer team.

I'm thinking that the Ice Bowl wasn't a freakin night game. Nice scheduling there.

Edited by MikesVikes

That could be the case for a very young Packer team.

I'm thinking that the Ice Bowl wasn't a freakin night game. Nice scheduling there.

The NFL set the playoff scheduling a couple of weeks in advance this year instead of after the teams were decided, so they were thinking the game would be in Dallas when they gave the NFC the night game.

Edited by Big John

The NFL set the playoff scheduling a couple of weeks in advance this instead of after the teams were decided, so they were thinking the game would be in Dallas when they gave the NFC the night game.

So were a lot of now very disappointed people.

:D:D:wacko:

COLD CONDITIONS WILL CONTINUE TODAY AND TONIGHT...

AN ARCTIC AIRMASS WILL CONTINUE TO AFFECT GREEN BAY AND NORTHEAST WISCONSIN TODAY. MID-MORNING TEMPERATURES WERE NEAR 10 BELOW ZERO IN GREEN BAY...WITH WIND CHILLS OF 30 BELOW TO 35 BELOW. SUNNY SKIES DURING THE DAY WILL ONLY HELP A LITTLE. THE WIND WILL COMBINE WITH THE COLD TEMPERATURES TO PRODUCE WIND CHILLS AROUND 25 BELOW THIS AFTERNOON AND EARLY EVENING.

IF YOU HAVE PLANS TO BE OUTSIDE TODAY OR TONIGHT...MAKE SURE YOU ARE DRESSED FOR THE WEATHER. SEVERAL LAYERS OF LIGHT CLOTHING PROVIDE MORE WARMTH THAN A SINGLE HEAVY LAYER. BE SURE TO WEAR A HAT AND GLOVES OR MITTENS. AVOID ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES...THEY CAUSE THE BODY TO LOSE HEAT MORE RAPIDLY.

Somehow I don't think the GB fans will be taking that advice...:D

Edited by myhousekey

Mother Nature will give you a nice buzz in those kind of temps.

I know one thing. I'll be freezing my ass off just watching the game from here in Florida. BTW, it's 41 degrees here in N FL and to me that's cold.

For Florida that is cold. Here in Wisconsin when it gets to 25 that's warm.

They always have. That's why they learned years ago to only drink paint thinner when it gets below zero. When the cold starts to set in by the second half, they fire up their Bic Lighters, and suck in - PRESTO...warm insides!!!

:D

Weather is always the great equalizer, and I think that'll be the case in GB today. I certainly don't think the weather favors GB because they are the home team and that they are used to it.

How many games has GB played in the last three years when the gametime temp was 2 degrees? Answer: zero.

I still see GB winning because they are the better all-around team...but it won't be because the weather favored them

GB 17, NYG 10

Was listening on Friday to an interview with Chuck Foreman, talking about some of the Viking games played back in the day outside at Metropolitan Stadium. He said there were a few of the guys that were absolute freaks that loved it the colder it got, as they knew it would make a difference, like Bill Brown and a couple of the linemen. He mentioned that one of the guys from Tennessee would brew up some kind of home blend, and it would just magically appear at halftime...a small pot of it...and some small cups. No questions, no comments, it was just there, they'd grab a cup or two, and back out on the field feeling a lot warmer inside.

I thought that was pretty funny, and pretty believable. Bud Grant probably helped brew it... :D

The NFL set the playoff scheduling a couple of weeks in advance this year instead of after the teams were decided, so they were thinking the game would be in Dallas when they gave the NFC the night game.

:D The Champoionship games alternate every year. Didn't matter who was in either, the AFC was first this year, NFC second.

:D The Champoionship games alternate every year. Didn't matter who was in either, the AFC was first this year, NFC second.

They had flexible scheduling during the regular season and could do it again. A better idea may be running the games at noon and 3.

They had flexible scheduling during the regular season and could do it again. A better idea may be running the games at noon and 3.

They used to play at 12:30 and 4:00. Can only imagine they switched to accommodate the left coasters?? SD fans would've had to crawl out of their hammocks at 9:30 yesterday :D