[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dungy stepping down?

Fantasy Jesus

Wouldn't blame him but truly a class act. Not to mention he now has a Superbowl under his belt. And the 1st Aftrican American to do so no less..

Which of course he had to remind us of right after the SB win as he hoisted the trophy :D - bad enough the media harped on the notion for weeks. Yes Tony, you're black, we get it. So much for "race shouldn't be an issue." Surprised he didn't go "BOOYA!"

My bad on the decision timing I guess. I thought I'd heard he was deciding by earlier this week.

Which of course he had to remind us of right after the SB win as he hoisted the trophy :D - bad enough the media harped on the notion for weeks. Yes Tony, you're black, we get it. So much for "race shouldn't be an issue." Surprised he didn't go "BOOYA!"

I don't think that's fair. It was proper for him to make a statement about it. It's not like black coaches and players (particularly QBs... like Dungy was coming out of college) had gotten their fair share of opportunities in the past. And IIRC, it was one of maybe two or three times that Dungy even addressed the subject.

I don't think that's fair. It was proper for him to make a statement about it. It's not like black coaches and players (particularly QBs... like Dungy was coming out of college) had gotten their fair share of opportunities in the past. And IIRC, it was one of maybe two or three times that Dungy even addressed the subject.

I gotta agree with this. I had no problems with his mentioning the black head coach thing, if only he had skipped the praise Jesus thing.

I'm sorry that you find Dungy's religious beliefs so offensive. :D If you take offense to his First Ammendment rights as well, you can always move to China, where they don't allow either.

Typically, I don't find it offensive just annoying, but he was way over the top with it. Half the NFL seems to feel compelled to add something about their faith to the television interview but the only ones that I ever thought were over the top were Kitna, Warner and the post SB interview of Dungy. I suppose he kind of lost himself in the moment as he usually doesn't come off that way but he was laying it one so thick you'd almost think him joking.

Edited by Kid Cid

Typically, I don't find it offensive just annoying, but he was way over the top with it. Half the NFL seems to feel compelled to add something about their faith to the television interview but the only ones that I ever thought were over the top were Kitna, Warner and the post SB interview of Dungy. I suppose he kind of lost himself in the moment as he usually doesn't come off that way but he was laying it one so thick you'd almost think him joking.

Then you probably don't want to read his book, because it's even thicker there. All three of those guys are pretty hardcore.

From the Indianapolis Start this morning:

I think there's still a chance Dungy will stay, but if not Caldwell will be the guy.........

If Dungy out, Caldwell in

Irsay says top assistant will take over if Dungy retires as Colts coach

If Tony Dungy is out as coach of the Indianapolis Colts, Jim Caldwell is in, according to the team's owner.

Jim Irsay, appearing Thursday night at a function at the New York Public Library, said he remains hopeful Dungy will return for a seventh season with 100 percent commitment.

If not, he added, "Jim Caldwell would be the guy.''

Dungy informed The Star in an e-mail Thursday that nothing had been decided yet "and won't be until the weekend. I will let Jim know on Monday.''

Calls late Thursday to Irsay, who was at a party celebrating an exhibition of the "On The Road" manuscript he owns, were not returned.

Dungy, the winningest coach in franchise history, has contemplated retirement the past few seasons. That's the case again in the aftermath of Sunday's 28-24 AFC divisional playoff loss to San Diego.

In a season-ending news conference with Indianapolis media, Dungy said he will discuss with his wife, Lauren, and his family in their Tampa, Fla., home whether he can adequately juggle coaching duties with his role of father.

That Caldwell would be Dungy's successor is no surprise. Dungy long has endorsed his assistant head coach as possessing NFL head coaching qualities. "I just think Jim's got a lot of the things people should be looking for,'' Dungy said recently. Caldwell, 53, was the Wake Forest coach from 1993-2000 before joining Dungy's staff at Tampa Bay in 2001. When Dungy was fired by the Bucs after the '01 season and named the Colts' coach, he brought Caldwell with him as his quarterbacks coach. In 2005, Caldwell also was named assistant head coach.

Caldwell has interviewed this month for the coaching vacancies in Baltimore and Atlanta.

Irsay could name Caldwell, an African-American, as Dungy's replacement without interviewing another candidate and not be in violation of the NFL's Rooney Rule. That rule requires a team to include a minority prospect in the hiring process. Simply hiring a minority coach fulfills the requirement.

Irsay, who talked with Dungy last week regarding the coach's plans, would like Dungy to lead the Colts into Lucas Oil Stadium, which will open for the 2008 NFL season.

To enable Dungy to spend more time with his family in Tampa while still handling his coaching duties in Indianapolis, Irsay has offered some compromises to his coach. That might include allowing Dungy to spend a portion of the offseason in Tampa while his staff oversees the team's conditioning program. Irsay also would make his private jet available to Dungy to return to Tampa for various family events, such as his son Eric's high school football games.

A transition to Caldwell undoubtedly would result in few organizational changes for a team that in 2007 became the first in NFL history to win at least 12 games in five consecutive seasons. The vast majority of front-line players are under contract.

In a recent interview with The Star, Dungy conceded his desire was to "leave one year too early than one year too late.

"You hope you leave right on time. You also hope when you're in a situation like this that you leave with everything in good shape for the next guy having a chance to win and succeed.''

If I didn't know better, I might think that they were trying to force Dungy out.

Understand the comment, but I know Dungy has been recommending Caldwell for the last couple years now............I think he told Irsay that if he does leave, that Caldwell should be his replacement. He has been grooming him for the last 6 years or so as the Asst HC.