[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ernie Holmes passed away

Savage Beatings

He was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected from the car, and pronounced dead at the scene, the department said.

Holmes, an ordained minister, lived on a ranch in Wiergate. His death was first reported by Beaumont TV station KFDM.

I didn't know he was a minister. That is sad. :D

this really sucks.. he was the man. RIP Fats.

Myron Cope wrote this about the 1976 game when Joe “Turkey” Jones spiked Terry Bradshaw into the turf at Cleveland Stadium:

“Afterward, at the Cleveland Airport, an ambulance carried Bradshaw onto the tarmac where all of us in the traveling party stood waiting for Terry to be transferred to the team’s plane. He had been strapped to a so-called spine board, on which he lay as medics removed him from the ambulance. ‘Let me have him,’ Fats told them. He wrapped his mighty arms under the spine board, arched his broad back and alone lifted the big quarterback up the stairway into the plane. On instructions from team doctors, he gently carried Terry the length of the aisle to the plane’s farthermost reaches where the arms of seats had been retracted to create a makeshift bed. Years later, when Fats Holmes returned to Pittsburgh for that 25th anniversary of the Steelers’ first championship team, he told his teammates he loved them. He meant it.”

He was a minister? That shocks me.

I have a Fats Holmes story from when I was 9 years old. It was before the SB in N.O. and we were staying at the same hotel as the Steelers. He was walking through the halls in his underwear breaking lights that were outside of the hotel doors with a towel that had something heavy in it. Arrow Head, Fats, aka Ernie was a nut. It truley shocks the heck out of me that he became a minister.

Oh and I am sad to hear of this news. Nut or not he will be missed.

Edited by Skippy