[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

LT/Darth Vader

pig devilz

when i logged in tonight, about 6pm est, i was surprised to not see a thread about this...

first, to see him sit out the entire game, except for those 4 or 5 plays, after

he was taken off the Injury Report, he said he was '90%'...ok, call that gamesmenship, whatever

or he took a hit on those 4 or 5 plays and that knocked him out, or practicing in southern cal.

is not the same as playing in 15 degree weather....the official report to the press box was that

'he was injured but can play'...that can leave you to think he opted out on his own.

i also heard reports the docs said he could not return...dunno which to believe.

not questioning his heart just thought it was odd...

second, and what does make me question him some is that he sat on the warm bench

in his jacket and helmet looking like Darth Vader and didnt move. if he's the heart and soul

of that team don't you think he should have been up, on the sideline, pumping up his team?

i do. i know,the helmet keeps him warm, the lights and his migraines, i know all that,

but he sat there like a hurt puppy in the AFC Championship game. i don't get it.

Rivers was a cripple out there and played the entire game. kudos to his courageous performance.

i gained respect for the dude for his guts and effort. and Gates too, for that matter....

listening to some of the Chargers comments after the game (Castillo, et al) almost sounded

like they were questioning LT's behavior while praising Rivers without really saying it... :D

how bad is his knee?...was he protecting his future?...was he selfish?....

maybe his knee is really that bad and he absolutly could not go, i dunno.

i know Norv protected him in his PC after, but he seemed a bit short with the press about it.

and, LT walked off the field without congratulating or talking with any players, Patriots (like his team mates did)

or his own players...weird.

for the best RB in the NFL to act that way, i thought was strange, very strange.

I do not question LT's heart and toughness. He's played so well for so long for this team, through broken ribs and various other injuries, and done so much for the community. To question his commitment to the team and willingness to play hurt or even make that implication is WRONG. If LT could have played and been effective, he would have. He's been one of the most (if not the most) durable RBs in football since he entered the league. In his case, he has an awesome backup in Michael Turner who had a far better shot of being productive. This is different than in Gates' case where we really have no backup that comes close to matching Gates' capabilities. Likewise, I believe that the coaching staff made the right call in sticking with Rivers. Even though he had a sprained MCL and torn ACL, he made some plays out there and did better than I think Volek would have done. Outside of Volek's 1 good drive in the Colts game, his command of the offense and lack of chemistry with the WRs likely would have resulted in even less offensive output than with Rivers.

:D

What a drama queen you are! The man is hurting probably more in his heart than his body 'cause he gets pulled by the med staff and you pull this. No wonder soaps are still so popular.

Don't forget to by your Midol next time and it won't bother you as much!

I'd rather him not play and have him healthy next year than blow a knee and say bye bye to one of the greatest RBs to ever play the game!

I'd rather him not play and have him healthy next year than blow a knee and say bye bye to one of the greatest RBs to ever play the game!

It's not so much the fact that he did'nt play for me. When NYG played Dallas, Madison was'nt dressed but was on the sidelines pumping up the DB's and helping his replacement as best he could. I thought that was great. When I saw LT sitting alone for most of the game silently, I kinda lost a little respect for him. I was'nt impressed.

THIS DOES'NT MEAN i'M AGREEING WITH pigdevilz. :D:D

I'll never question LT's heart and drive to win...but I may question his teamness. I know LT has put it out there on the line for years for this franchise...and he will no doubt go down in history as of the the greatest RB's to ever play the game...but Sunday...I was a little taken back by his backseat attitude. I kept asking myself as I watched the game why isn't he on the sideline cheer his teammates on...was he trying to keep warm thinking maybe he would be needed to go in and play...it was doubtful he would return though...so why wouldn't you be yelling your guts out on the sideline...that really puzzled me...I was really surprised he sat on the bench and decided to totally detach himself from the team. I didn't get it.... :D

I refuse to bash LT for not going into cheerleader mode once he reinjured his knee on the first play of the game. He went into that game fully expecting to play and make a big impact. His mindset was not the same as Madison who already knew he wouldn't be playing going into that game. I'm sure it killed LT not being in there.

I'll never question LT's heart and drive to win...but I may question his teamness. I know LT has put it out there on the line for years for this franchise...and he will no doubt go down in history as of the the greatest RB's to ever play the game...but Sunday...I was a little taken back by his backseat attitude. I kept asking myself as I watched the game why isn't he on the sideline cheer his teammates on...was he trying to keep warm thinking maybe he would be needed to go in and play...it was doubtful he would return though...so why wouldn't you be yelling your guts out on the sideline...that really puzzled me...I was really surprised he sat on the bench and decided to totally detach himself from the team. I didn't get it.... :D

One article said he was pulled by the med staff. We may never know the whole truth!

LT has never been a vocal leader on game day. He was not involved and did not want to be a distraction. It is a different "way", but to question how much he was hurting inside is crazy. He leads and gets his team fires up with what he does between the lines. He is generally a quiet kid and his actions did not shock me in the least.

I felt very badly for him knowing how much he wanted this and could not go.

If you all need a buch of links, I can provide tomorrow. But this is just a silly thread! :D

I refuse to bash LT for not going into cheerleader mode once he reinjured his knee on the first play of the game. He went into that game fully expecting to play and make a big impact. His mindset was not the same as Madison who already knew he wouldn't be playing going into that game. I'm sure it killed LT not being in there.

I'm not bashing LT, I love the the guy and I am sure he was heartbroken...there is no doubt about that...and people handle such adversity differently...I was just surprised is all...

Not saying you're wrong but from the posts so far ( I know it's only been a few), the non-Charger fans disagree with you.

Not saying you're wrong but from the posts so far ( I know it's only been a few), the non-Charger fans disagree with you.

Exactly. If you don't watch the team, don't know the players or their WHOLE personalities other than from a game or two, KEEP YO' MOUTH SHUT!

non-Charger fans are the only ones ignorant enough to feel this way. Those who have seen him all these years know him, and this thread is just WRONG! :D

Exactly. If you don't watch the team, don't know the players or their WHOLE personalities other than from a game or two, KEEP YO' MOUTH SHUT!

non-Charger fans are the only ones ignorant enough to feel this way. Those who have seen him all these years know him, and this thread is just WRONG! :D

:D I was gently implying that maybe his homer goggles were interfering.

Listen, if you think it's LT's personality that leads him to be what appears to be a non-team player with a bad attitude that pouts when things don't go his way, and as a fan, you're ok with that, alriiiiighty then. :wacko:

time out! time out!...before this disintegrates into a chit slinging match....

McBoog....i'm not questioning the heart of the best RB in the NFL.

i'm not bashing LT. not at all.

devilwoman may have said it better than i did, 'i was a little taken back by his backseat attitude'.

this is the jist of my second point above. as you can see, i used the words, 'odd' and 'weird'

to describe his behaviour the way i saw it....

i don't follow him or see him the way you Charger fans get to during the season.

so in a way, i'm asking you, is this what he's always like?....i don't remember him being like that

in the past...he seemed very subdued...he hardly moved.

again, i'm not bashing him. more an observation and looking for answers.

McBoog, post some of them links if you don't mind.

no need to attack me, i'm just asking some questions and pointing out my observations and

observations of manyother people too.....maybe you can enlighten us with some knowledge and

hold back on the smack.

:D

"second, and what does make me question him some is that he sat on the warm bench

in his jacket and helmet looking like Darth Vader and didnt move."

Darth Vader would have played. For the love of God, he was set on fire and had his arms and legs removed so that he could become Darth Vader. Now that takes "heart."

I love LT as a player but I've seen a different side to him since last years playoff loss to the Patriots. Some of his actions speak very loudly about LT being about LT. I thought that the way he acted after the playoff game they lost last year was childish and self serving. Then this year during the game against the Packers ( I think?) Rivers comes over to the bench and sits next to him and he immediately gets up because he's mad at Rivers for some reason? Then yesterday, I felt the same way as the original poster, if your knee is hurt then I understand not wanting to hurt your team or injure it further but you walked off the field with barely a limp? Every time the camera showed him on the bench he was sitting on the bench all wrapped up in his comfy coat with his helmet on.

I thought that being the ACF Championship and the Chargers playing well and in the game that he could have been vocal and pumping up his teammates. Maybe he was vocal when the camera was off of him but I seriously doubt it. Given the effort that the rest of his teammates were demonstrating, especially Rivers and Gates, you don't think that the "supposed" leader of the franchise shouldn't be exhorting his teammates? Come on. Something about the guy doesn't sit well with me.

I love LT as a player but I've seen a different side to him since last years playoff loss to the Patriots. Some of his actions speak very loudly about LT being about LT. I thought that the way he acted after the playoff game they lost last year was childish and self serving. Then this year during the game against the Packers ( I think?) Rivers comes over to the bench and sits next to him and he immediately gets up because he's mad at Rivers for some reason? Then yesterday, I felt the same way as the original poster, if your knee is hurt then I understand not wanting to hurt your team or injure it further but you walked off the field with barely a limp? Every time the camera showed him on the bench he was sitting on the bench all wrapped up in his comfy coat with his helmet on.

I thought that being the ACF Championship and the Chargers playing well and in the game that he could have been vocal and pumping up his teammates. Maybe he was vocal when the camera was off of him but I seriously doubt it. Given the effort that the rest of his teammates were demonstrating, especially Rivers and Gates, you don't think that the "supposed" leader of the franchise shouldn't be exhorting his teammates? Come on. Something about the guy doesn't sit well with me.

theprofessor is much better with words than me. Well put.

i agree with your words professor....this isn't a one time knee jerk reaction by me, this is something

i have noticed with him starting after last years Championship loss..and again this year his attitude,

or whatevrthehell you want to call it, is off.

i have thought for along time that he doesn't seem 'happy' in many senses of the word.

:D The legitimate question is this: why wasn't he pumping up his team? Why the sit on the bench unmoving? Your explanation that he doesn't do that on game days is laughable. I've seen him do it WHEN HE HITS THE FIELD.

Someone who lives in SoCal and gets more locl press on this than you do in Virginia.

:D The legitimate question is this: why wasn't he pumping up his team? Why the sit on the bench unmoving? Your explanation that he doesn't do that on game days is laughable. I've seen him do it WHEN HE HITS THE FIELD.

Someone who lives in SoCal and gets more locl press on this than you do in Virginia.

Would the outcome have been any different if he had stood next to his teammates and talked to them or yelled encouragement?

Never thought in a million years that I would respect rivers more than tomlinson albeit if its just for one game ...but it was a HUGE game ...rivers left it on the field while tomlinson left it on the bench ( where he sat like a grandpa taking a nap )

Professor really summed it up very well with last post

Agree with this 100%.

Would the outcome have been any different if he had stood next to his teammates and talked to them or yelled encouragement?

I won't answer that, except to remind you what the topic at hand is: he is one of the team's leaders (partly by his own annointing) and the perception he left some of us with yesterday is that he wasn't acting like one sitting on the bench by himself trying to keep warm.

Your question can be used to start another thread tho - be my guest.

Edited by Pope Flick

LT's teammates find it comical to think that the national media is questioning his toughness. See link below:

http://www.chargers.com/news/headlines/que...ns-about-lt.htm

LT had an MCL sprain that typically takes 4 weeks to heal. Did anyone else have Andre Johnson on their fantasy football team this year and waited forever to get him back in the lineup after he sprained his MCL (it must've been about 8 weeks)?

I can understand the argument questioning why he was not more demonstrative during the game and why he wasn't actively cheering his teammates on. I cannot understand anyone questioning his toughness.

For those who think he might have lost respect among his teammates, scrap that. His teammates just voted him team MVP and Offensive Player of the year today.

Yeah, I know the MCL is generally a 4 week injury...but Rivers played without a freaking ACL. After having the knee scoped out a week ago. IIRC, that was part of an argument last week between LT and Rivers as well...whether to go back into the game.

And that helmet was definitely Vader-esque with those little extra bars on the face mask.