[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mike Singletary

budlitebrad

:wacko:

You gotta wonder what this guy is (or isn't) saying in the interviews he's had previously. I'm really surprised that no one is talking to him for a HC job this month, especially when you know that he would have any player's respect right off the bat (which is usually the toughest task for a new coach).

Edited by budlitebrad

:wacko:

You gotta wonder what this guy is (or isn't) saying in the interviews he's had previously. I'm really surprised that no one is talking to him for a HC job this month, especially when you know that he would have any player's respect right off the bat (which is usually the toughest task for a new coach).

He doesn't have all that much coaching experience yet. I think he's got a bright future in it, but I think that's the hold up on a HC gig.

He doesn't have all that much coaching experience yet. I think he's got a bright future in it, but I think that's the hold up on a HC gig.

Mike McCarthy was the OC of some of the worst offenses before he got the job. When Singletary walks into the locker room he has everyone's attention and can hire assistants with experience.

I wanted GB to hire him but McCarthy has worked out well. Someone should hire Singletary soon.

Mike McCarthy was the OC of some of the worst offenses before he got the job. When Singletary walks into the locker room he has everyone's attention and can hire assistants with experience.

I wanted GB to hire him but McCarthy has worked out well. Someone should hire Singletary soon.

I agree, but a head coach has to do more than just fire up guys or keep em in line. I'm not saying he can't, it just seems like he could use a few years as a coach before someone hands him a franchise?

When college offensive coordinators (aka Lane Kiffin) are handed a franchise, Singletary should also have a job.

So, having experience as a coach is less important than whether it was in college or the NFL?

Kiffin has been coaching since 1997. Singletary since 2003.

When college offensive coordinators (aka Lane Kiffin) are handed a franchise, Singletary should also have a job.

The Raiders don't count. Singletary's too smart for that job.

And Sturphy - Singletary was a coach on the field by all acounts during 1983/4-1992 when he retired. We're not talking about a similar talent who was not - like LT.

Edited by Pope Flick

And Sturphy - Singletary was a coach on the field by all acounts during 1983/4-1992 when he retired. We're not talking about a similar talent who was not - like LT.

but on his resume it says PLAYER :wacko:

So, having experience as a coach is less important than whether it was in college or the NFL?

Singletary spent 10 years out of the game, working in law, IIRC. You have to wonder why.

Huh? Singletary's only been coaching since 2003. And as Assistant HC and LB Coach in SF, his teams have completely sucked.

I'm a hugh Samurai Mike fan and believe that he will be a HC one day. But, man, he hasn't done anything yet as a coach in the NFL . He needs to a track record of success on his resume before he's a top HC candidate.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Oh, don't give me the "coach on the field". He was a player first. It's not like he was at home working on defensive schemes. LeRoy Butler was a coach on the field too.

And again, I'm not saying Singletary won't be a good HC. I'm just offering a reason for him being available, and not landing a HC job yet.

I don't think this is far fetched.

Edited by Sturphy

Oh, don't give me the "coach on the field". He was a player first. It's not like he was at home working on defensive schemes. LeRoy Butler was a coach on the field too.

And again, I'm not saying Singletary won't be a good HC. I'm just offering a reason for him being available, and not landing a HC job yet.

I don't think this is far fetched.

Why? Because it doesn't fit your preconceived notion and argument that he wasn't? Here's an auction of a cover story from SI circa 1986, about how he was a coach on the field. I have it somewhere and when so inclined will dig it out and scan it for you to be better informed as to just what he did for the most dominant D of the 80's.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/MIKE-SINGLETARY-CHICAGO...7QQcmdZViewItem

To the extent Peyton Manning is a coach on the field, Singletary was too. Not sure that makes him HC material, though.

No but it shouldn't exclude him either. Is the head coach a teacher or the on field CEO of the team? I believe HC's are decision makers when they need to be made. I'd hire him and also hire experienced assistants that can help him learn what he doesn't know.

He's a winner and that's what's important to me.

But what about Jason Garrett? He hasnt been coaching long at all, and he was given the Ravens job even though he turned it down. Maybe its a racist thing. haha

I know this may sound earth shattering to some here, especially those who want to either brazenly or tacitly drag race into the issue, but perhaps there is a chance in his interviews that Singletary shows that he is not capabale and/or ready to handle a HC position?

There's a long list of OCs/DCs of divergent racial makeup who were superb in the top subordinate position but had/have almost zero ability to handle the HC position.

I know this may sound earth shattering to some here, especially those who want to either brazenly or tacitly drag race into the issue, but perhaps there is a chance in his interviews that Singletary shows that he is not capabale and/or ready to handle a HC position?

There's a long list of OCs/DCs of divergent racial makeup who were superb in the top subordinate position but had/have almost zero ability to handle the HC position.

If that was in response to my "racist" comment, well, just know that I was kidding. I think the whole race issue is so f-in lame.

But what about Jason Garrett? He hasnt been coaching long at all, and he was given the Ravens job even though he turned it down. Maybe its a racist thing. haha

Well, there are always going to be exceptions. He hasn't been hired as a HC for some reason.

Ok then, how about: He's a terrible interview?

Why? Because it doesn't fit your preconceived notion and argument that he wasn't? Here's an auction of a cover story from SI circa 1986, about how he was a coach on the field. I have it somewhere and when so inclined will dig it out and scan it for you to be better informed as to just what he did for the most dominant D of the 80's.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/MIKE-SINGLETARY-CHICAGO...7QQcmdZViewItem

Alright, he was a coach on the field. It's clearly helping him find a HC job.

Well, there are always going to be exceptions. He hasn't been hired as a HC for some reason.

Yeah bad reasons. Dungy wasn't hired for a long time too.

Dungy wasn't hired because they thought him too mild mannered to be a HC.

Dungy wasn't hired because they thought him too mild mannered to be a HC.

LOL @ anyone thinking Dungy was mild mannered after watching the Ds he put together as a DC. Dungy has a mean streak a mile wide and twice as long. He just channels it in the right direction.

Edited by Bronco Billy