[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mike Singletary

budlitebrad

LOL @ anyone thinking Dungy was mild mannered after watching the Ds he put together as a DC. Dungy has a mean streak a mile wide and twice as long. He just channels it in the right direction.

Too bad owners didn't see it that way.

Anyone think owners are afraid of Singletary?

But what about Jason Garrett? He hasnt been coaching long at all, and he was given the Ravens job even though he turned it down. Maybe its a racist thing. haha

More like a "success as a coach" thing.

The ridiculously-PC media loves to prop up blacks and has a vested interest in exploiting the very large national contingent of Bears fans. Marvin Lewis not getting a HC offer after what he did with the 2000 Ravens defense was a borderline outrage and a news-wrothy issue. Singletary not getting one while having little success as a LBs/Assisant HC is not.

LOL @ anyone thinking Dungy was mild mannered after watching the Ds he put together as a DC. Dungy has a mean streak a mile wide and twice as long. He just channels it in the right direction.

:wacko:

The ridiculously-PC media loves to prop up blacks and has a vested interest in exploiting the very large national contingent of Bears fans. Marvin Lewis not getting a HC offer after what he did with the 2000 Ravens defense was a borderline outrage and a news-wrothy issue. Singletary not getting one while having little success as a LBs/Assisant HC is not.

:wacko:

BB has his own opinion on thisI haven't seen elsewhere.

Marvin Lewis not getting a HC offer after what he did with the 2000 Ravens defense was a borderline outrage and a news-wrothy issue.

And we all saw how well that race-based hiring turned out. Lewis is a classic example of a coach who is an outstanding coordinator but sucks as a HC. And he had been given an awfully long leash given the O talent on that team, the perception of his ability to mold & put a top D on the field, and his outlandishly long list of mistakes in judging players' character - one can only assume because of PCism yet again.

My gut feeling is that most feel he isn't ready, which may or may not be a fair critique. I think the real problem is that he got seriously considered in the past few off seasons perhaps unnecessarily due to the 'minority hire' practice they have put in place. In other words, his situation is a negative symptom of a well meant rule. Now, when no one looks at him it seems odd. Same thing with Ron Rivera who was certainly a 'flavor of the month' last year and hasn't gotten a single look this off-season. And his track record is much better results wise than Singletary's to this point.

Dungy simply knew what it took to create a world class D. That doesn't in any way imply he's got a mean streak. I don't see the connection as far as a coach / coordinator goes. I can see it in a player, of course.

My gut feeling is that most feel he isn't ready, which may or may not be a fair critique. I think the real problem is that he got seriously considered in the past few off seasons perhaps unnecessarily due to the 'minority hire' practice they have put in place. In other words, his situation is a negative symptom of a well meant rule. Now, when no one looks at him it seems odd. Same thing with Ron Rivera who was certainly a 'flavor of the month' last year and hasn't gotten a single look this off-season. And his track record is much better results wise than Singletary's to this point.

This could very well be the case.

I think that most people who follow football knew that Rivera was just a guy running Lovie's scheme. Lovie took the Rams to the SB with that same defense. That's the major difference, IMO.

I agree with your comments about Singletary. And I also believe that the media is trying to exploit the nation-wide Bears fan contingent. If Singletary weren't a massively-popular and well-liked HOF MLB who was the on-field leader of the famed 46 Defense that got the Bears their first and only Super Bowl championship, nobody would be talking about him right now.

• 11 months later...
The Sacramento Bee is reporting that according to a source close to the situation, the 49ers are planning on offering a multiyear contract to Singletary shortly after the team ends its season with Sunday's game against the Washington Redskins.

NFL teams cannot sign interim coaches during the season under the league's Rooney Rule, which requires teams to interview at least one minority candidate, but the 49ers do not have to bring in more candidates if they are planning to take the interim tag off Singletary.

On Wednesday, Singletary acknowledged he had met with the team's top officials about his future earlier in the week. According to the Bee, Singletary laid out a plan for the 49ers that wowed the club's leadership.

I like Single. I hope he gets the gig. It sounds like he will from what I heard today.

4 year contract, I read this morning, following a 5-4 record with a franchise that really couldn't have expected to finish the season so well. Like others, though, I don't know if Mike's personality will cut it in the 21st century with a bunch of millionaires. SF will need to pay very close attention to character in the draft, even more than talent.