[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Roethlisberger requests taller receivers

SuperCharger

"I don't hear Tom Brady or Peyton Manning asking for that," Ward said yesterday.

Why would he he has Randy Moss. He asked for a taller WR. So what. I ask for things all the time I don't get. :wacko:

He does have Heath Miller. Why not try and get someone tall? It couldn't hurt.

Ward shouldn't take this the wrong way. You know the way reporters will try and twist it to piss him off. Pissed off players sell papers.

My take is that Ward is being a bit too sensitive here. I love Hines, but, I'm not sure why he is so ticked about Roethlisberger's statement. Perhaps it is just Hines defending his receiving corps. I think those position guys feel some loyalty to one another. All in all, it probably much ado about nothing, but, I still don't like to see one of this team's leaders questioning another.

As for a fan's perspective, I'd also like to see the Steelers get a tall receiver on the outside. Not to replace Hines or Santonio, who I am completely happy with, but, I agree with Ben, that sometimes a tall receiver can provide a bail-out when you are under pressure. Put it up high and see if he can go up and get it. Also, it provides another option in the redzone. However, if I were the Steelers 90% of my off-season focus would be on building an offensive line. They were awful last year, by Steelers historical standards, and with Faneca pretty much a sure thing to leave, they have a lot of work to do. Use the other 10% for RB, D-Line, & Secondary Depth.

I never remember Trent Dilfer whining about needing tall WR's to bolster up his mediocre abilities.

:D

Too late for this fishing expedition to continue Bushwacked. In a moment of weakness, you admitted that Roethlisberger was much more than the game manager you used to say he was............... :D (No, I don't feel like digging up the quote right now - you and I know you said it :wacko: )

Roethlisberger is saying that his current WRs are less than ideal. That Pittsburgh would be better with other WRs.

If I'm a current Pittsburgh WR, I'm not too happy about that. And I'm not a sensitive sort.

Roethlisberger is probably right. But he's a dumbass for saying it to the media.

As for a fan's perspective, I'd also like to see the Steelers get a tall receiver on the outside.

How tall is Burress?

But I also seem to remember him wanting to be the man and not in Hines' shadow....

And I agree with Demonknight, a non-story that has legs because there is nothing else to talk about until next week.

Roethlisberger is saying that his current WRs are less than ideal. That Pittsburgh would be better with other WRs.

If I'm a current Pittsburgh WR, I'm not too happy about that. And I'm not a sensitive sort.

Roethlisberger is probably right. But he's a dumbass for saying it to the media.

I agree with this, and, I don't think Ward should not have responded to it through the media either. They know each other pretty well, and I'm sure they have each other's cells. Talking through the media is the WORST means of communication. :wacko:

Edited by Menudo

I agree with this, and, I don't think Ward should have responded to it through the media either. They know each other pretty well, and I'm sure they have each other's cells. Talking through the media is the WORST means of communication. :wacko:

Serious question Menudo...

How many years do you think Hines has left? I have much respect for him and I love how he plays.

Serious question Menudo...

How many years do you think Hines has left? I have much respect for him and I love how he plays.

Honestly, probably about 3 or 4 at a decent level. Then, it just depends if he wants to hang around after his skills have diminished. He has done an impressive job of keeping his level of play steady through the last few years, considering how physical he plays. He is still incredibly important to this team, as he is their best clutch, 3rd down receiver, and his blocking is what allows Parker to spring some long runs here and there. (Santonio is also an above average blocker at WR)

How tall is Burress?

But I also seem to remember him wanting to be the man and not in Hines' shadow....

And I agree with Demonknight, a non-story that has legs because there is nothing else to talk about until next week.

5'11 but he plays tall.

Maybe Ben got a call from Plax after sunday's game.

My take is that Ward is being a bit too sensitive here. I love Hines, but, I'm not sure why he is so ticked about Roethlisberger's statement. Perhaps it is just Hines defending his receiving corps. I think those position guys feel some loyalty to one another. All in all, it probably much ado about nothing, but, I still don't like to see one of this team's leaders questioning another.

As for a fan's perspective, I'd also like to see the Steelers get a tall receiver on the outside. Not to replace Hines or Santonio, who I am completely happy with, but, I agree with Ben, that sometimes a tall receiver can provide a bail-out when you are under pressure. Put it up high and see if he can go up and get it. Also, it provides another option in the redzone. However, if I were the Steelers 90% of my off-season focus would be on building an offensive line. They were awful last year, by Steelers historical standards, and with Faneca pretty much a sure thing to leave, they have a lot of work to do. Use the other 10% for RB, D-Line, & Secondary Depth.

cliff notes version:

ben: "i want a taller receiver"

hines: :D:wacko:

i wouid want one too.. the fade pass near the goal line was pretty much non existent or ALWAYS failed for us. ward is still the best red zone threat on the team, but it would be nice to have a guy that ben can chuck it up to on 1st or 2nd down and see if he can bring it down.

Ben needs to manage interviews as well as he manages games.

:wacko:

:D

Well, this season, he managed to finish 2nd in the NFL with a 104.1 QB Rating, he managed to finish 3rd in the NFL with 32 TD Passes.

Carson Palmer only managed an NFL 14th best 86.7 rating, and he managed to throw for 6 less TD's than Ben (26) with 171 more pass attempts.

and will only get better......

What makes you think this? Ward is 32 years old and plays a physical game. His longest reception this year was 25 yards. He will be coming off of knee surgery. He may start to decline. I disagree that he has 3-4 good years. I am thinking 1-2...decent years.

:wacko:

Well, this season, he managed to finish 2nd in the NFL with a 104.1 QB Rating, he managed to finish 3rd in the NFL with 32 TD Passes.

Carson Palmer only managed an NFL 14th best 86.7 rating, and he managed to throw for 6 less TD's than Ben (26) with 171 more pass attempts.

Eli Manning managed to play in 3 more meaningful games this year, and unlike Ben, he led his team to victory instead of not losing.

Eli Manning managed to play in 3 more meaningful games this year, and unlike Ben, he led his team to victory instead of not losing.

I'm actually happy for Eli. :D Are you a Giants fan now ?

One more for Eli and he'll accomplish something Ben did once, Bradshaw did four times, and Hasselbeck will never do............ :wacko:

Cue the tears and Leavy references..............................................

Edited by Menudo