[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why do I hate the Patriots?

gbpfan1231

I got sick of the 24/7 media flood of how great and unbeatable they are because they ran up the score late.They are a great team,but the mystique created by the media nauseated me.Then I joined the boards and seen the same thing.

I dont think a quitter like Moss should be rewarded with a ring.Waterman can throw up all the stats he wants,Moss will never be better than any reciever who played every game to win.They had heart and a love of the game,something Moss will never have.Hes the kid who takes his ball and goes home when he doesnt get his way.

So I guess my two biggest reasons I dont like them are the media and Moss.

Edited by xtra

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I had to pick one reason it would be jealousy. The only issue I have is that I never disliked other teams that were dynasty's nearly as much as this team. Maybe because they have been so good for so long but so were the niners. I loved watching the niners play and win. I don't like watching the Pats play and win.

I don't think that Brady, Moss, Harrison, and Belichick come anywhere close to Montana, Rice, Lott, and Walsh as fas as likability goes.

It's the ugly uniforms.

I don't like them because of the way they play the NFL like a bunch of corporate lawyers twisting every rule they can get away with.

And don't forget the fantasy part of this where they screw anyone who has a Patriots player other than Brady.

You just didn't have the minute my minute information frenzy back then, so the success of those teams would have been more tolerable.

That's a great point. It's so easy to get blown out over anything these days with the sort of media coverage things can generate.

I got sick of the 24/7 media flood of how great and unbeatable they are because they ran up the score late.They are a great team,but the mystique created by the media nauseated me.Then I joined the boards and seen the same thing.

Dont you think the media attention would be there for ANY team that was undefeated during the regular season?....I agree, heck i live in the area and tired of seeing all of the attention...Celts are off to one of their best starts in history, and hardly know it here....

As far as the hate for Moss, all I can say if he's a quitter, I'll take his quitting this year and his 23 tds....yeah, he hasn't scored past few games, but thats because other teams are focusing on him, and Brady has learned not to force the ball to him.....

Dont you think the media attention would be there for ANY team that was undefeated during the regular season?....I agree, heck i live in the area and tired of seeing all of the attention...Celts are off to one of their best starts in history, and hardly know it here....

As far as the hate for Moss, all I can say if he's a quitter, I'll take his quitting this year and his 23 tds....yeah, he hasn't scored past few games, but thats because other teams are focusing on him, and Brady has learned not to force the ball to him.....

Dont think it would have started as early for other teams unless they are running up the score in blowouts.The blowouts were the biggest eye catcher.But what better way to get the medias mind off of other things.

You can have Moss.his team may win,but hes still a loser.

Edited by xtra

You can have Moss.his team may win,but hes still a loser.

true enough...easier for me to like moss as he plays for the Pats....Wasnt huge fan til he got here

just curious, if he was on your favorite team this year, caught 23 TD passes and helped them go undefeated, would you still be down on Moss as a loser?

Edited by chinatown dragons

true enough...easier for me to like moss as he plays for the Pats....Wasnt huge fan til he got here

just curious, if he was on your favorite team this year, caught 23 TD passes and helped them go undefeated, would you still be down on Moss as a loser?

Honestly,yes.

But Id still be rooting for my team to win.Damn it,now Im going to have nightmares! :wacko:

Honestly,yes.

But Id still be rooting for my team to win.Damn it,now Im going to have nightmares! :wacko:

Well at least your honest....!! I was actually thrilled when Pats signed him, knowing that Brady got a legit deep threat....but, yeah, part of me kept wondering when does he explode....when does he have a meltdown or quit on the team.....never happened ....all indications are that he was a perfect teammate and stand up guy in the locker room...

Edited by chinatown dragons

I too, am I Patriots hater, but sadly, I am also a Patriots respecter. I would it's easiest to break this down into percentages.

15% Hate: The blind homers. It's volatile how blind Pats homers are. It's laughable really. They're not classless or anything, and they're not like other fans. they dont throw batteries or any of that....they're just straight up blind. Blind ass homerism at its epitome.

15% Hate: They always win. Not just games either. They draft some no-name dooush at #199? He's Tom F'ing Brady. They lose a draft pick after trading for a 1st rounder from and "up and coming" team, and that team goes 5-11. Top 10 pick. The list goes on, but I wont. Maybe it's just dumb luck, but i doubt it.

5% Hate: They're called a dynasty, but they never win by more than 3 points (prior to..well, you know) All those superbowls, they just had the ball last. Dont get me wrong, they're clutch, win by 1, win by 30, same thing. But they never blew anyone out. It's minor hate, but it's there.

40% Hate: They have this rep for being classy, and they're just NOT classy. For some quick examples:1) Deion Branch hold out. "Go find a deal, we'll let you go or match it -- eh..nevermind" 2)"Tom, you need to be underpaid, so we can afford to keep guys like Branch, Viniateri, etc etc etc etc around. --eh...nevermind" 3)Colts are undefeated, going in NE's house, NE loses, Brady wont answer questions. Wah Wah. He barely shakes Peyton's hand. Wah wah. 4)Spygate - not that it bothers me, but it's certainly a point proving they're not some ungodly classy group 4) The corner back who spit on Smitty 5)The way the whole team disrespects in other people's houses. Mind you, i DO NOT MIND a team that does these things. I mind when the media, fans, and general knowledge says "They're so classy"

5% Hate: They beat my Panthers in a SuperBowl. You automatically have to hate a team a little when that happens.

5% Respect They Always Win Not just games either. They draft some no-name dooche at #199? He's Tom F'ing Brady. They lose a draft pick the after trading for a 1st rounder from and "up and coming" team, and that team goes 5-11. Top 10 pick. The list goes on, but I wont. Maybe it's just dumb luck, but i doubt it.

15% Respect: Spygate Yes, I actually respect them for Spygate. Not because they had to use cameras to steal signals (which every team does, they just dont use cameras) , but because they had an actual system in place to not only get those signals, but to review those signals. That shows severe dedication to winning. Most coaches are never home as it is. To go that extra mile, above and beyond to review defensive signlas shows a determination i would love to see in my Panthers. And that's being completely honest.

And I'm totally jealous of their success. Jealousy should be noted on my list, but i'm being as objective about my hates as possible. :wacko: If that's possible, i guess.

Jealousy over the success is only half the point, though. I think the more relevant part is the in your face media coverage that you can't get away from.

can't blame the media coverage on the Patriots.

jealousy will lead you to think and believe all kinds of things that

just aren't there or aren't true....

jealousy is one thing, but ignorance is another.

a jealous fan can, most times, admit that the good team in question (fill in the blank)

is at least a good team.....the ignorant 'fan' just comes off looking dumb.

and on the internet, where you can't actually talk to that 'fan' and really hear

what ther opinion is, the ignorance gets magnified.

Love will lead you to think and believe all kinds of things that

just aren't there or aren't true....

lusting is one thing, but ignorance is another.

a loving fan can, most times, admit that the good team in question (fill in the blank)

has a few weak spots.....the ignorant 'fan' just comes off looking dumb.

and on the internet, where you can't actually talk to that 'fan' and really hear

what their opinion is, the ignorance gets magnified.

Fixed :wacko:

Some of your justifacations are laughable. When talking about coaching greats, to not put Pete Carroll and Phil Jackosn at the top of their sports is downright idiotic. Please once again try to make that argument, not that you already did even.

+1 ................ :wacko: Great coaches make Great players, Great players make Great coaches.....

I think the nationwide hatred on peoples' part is expected (jealousy, envy, frustration with their own teams) and understandable (Belichick, Spygate, Brady-Giselle, etc.). But I think it's been magnified/has snowballed to unprecedented proportions with the Pats because we have never had a "dynasty" in any sport in the true Internet age, the Pats being the first with their run from 2001 until now.

The Yankees? They had their run in the 70's, 80's and 90's before the true advent of sports message boards and instant, split second opinion-sharing and fingertip access to all things sports, and before 24/7 idiot talking head sports shows stoking the flames and beating so many dead horses PETA should get involved. Ditto the Bulls, Pistons, Mtl. Canadiens, NY Islanders, Steelers, Lakers, Celtics, Cowboys, Niners, Edmonton Oilers, and whoever else you want to call a dynasty in their respective sports. And the other champs since the Internet has really taken off? They've been one or maybe two-time winners -- Ravens, Bucs, Rams, Steelers, Colts, NJ Devils, Mighty Ducks, TB Lightning, Car. Hurricanes, Mia Heat, D-backs, Angels, Marlins, STL Cards, CHIsox, and that's about it (aside from the Shaq/Kobe Lakers and Duncan's Spurs, who've had mini dynasties in Y2K...and while the Lakers were pretty hate-able due to Kobe's selfishness/surliness and Jackson's smug arrogance, Shaq was still big lovable Kazaam at the time, and the Spurs, mostly due to Duncan, were downright lovable, the little guys from the small market knocking off glitzy, me-first, Zen Showtime).

But I bet people hated those pre-Internet dynasty teams like the Cowboys, Canadiens, Lakers, Bulls, Raiders, Yankees with as much if not more venom than today's Pats (or the other over-media-saturated team up here, the Sox) -- I can tell you that nothing anyone here can say or experss could match the venom Boston fans felt for Laimbeer, Isaiah and the Pistons in the 80's and early 90's, or Bruins fans felt for LaFleur/Dryden's Mtl Canadien powerhouses -- and hated them for the same reasons they have the Pats: the presumptuous America's Team moniker of the Staubach/Aikman/Emmitt/Irvin Cowboys, the French arrogance of LaFleur's Habs, the Hollywood glamour of Magic/Shaq/Kobe's Lakers, the humorless, robotic assassin mentality of Jordan's Bulls, the overt dirtiness (and yes, cheating...Lester Hayes, Lyle Alzado) of Al Davis' Raiders, the high and tight haircut, holier-than-thou smugness of Steinbrenner/Jeter Yankees.

Hell, I bet that if the Internet were around in the late 50's and 60's we'd have the forefathers of gbp fan and keggerz and others (just using examples of vocal Pats haters) b*tching about the Red Auerbach/Bill Russell Celtics dynasty (perhaps the greatest of all-time with 11 titles in 13 years), even though that team, in today's terms (and ESPECIALLY back in those intolerant times) would be considered a revolutionary bastion of harmony and progress (first team with a black head coach, first team with an all-black starting five, first team that refused to stay in segregated hotels/eat in segregated restaurants on the road, etc.). But today, it's just that more people in more places with more extreme opinions nowadays are able to express that hatred in the blink of an eye...assuming they have an ISP connection, half a brain and opposable thumbs (and the last two, with some people on this board, are debatable) :D

Just my :wacko:

Edited by msaint

Some of your justifacations are laughable. When talking about coaching greats, to not put Pete Carroll and Phil Jackosn at the top of their sports is downright idiotic. Please once again try to make that argument, not that you already did even.

Phil Jackson 2005-2006 winning % .549 2006-2007 .512 hmm that went down year over year with arguably the best NBA player. YOu should be able to coach the other players up to improve on .549 winning %.

Pete Carrol 1994 head coach for the Jets went 6-10 1993 the Jets were 8-8. Pats head coach 1997 10-6 first year not bad 1998 9-7 1999 8-8 now that is what I call improving.

I guess Wade Phillips is the 2nd best coach in NFL.

Phil Jackson 2005-2006 winning % .549 2006-2007 .512 hmm that went down year over year with arguably the best NBA player. YOu should be able to coach the other players up to improve on .549 winning %.

Pete Carrol 1994 head coach for the Jets went 6-10 1993 the Jets were 8-8. Pats head coach 1997 10-6 first year not bad 1998 9-7 1999 8-8 now that is what I call improving.

I guess Wade Phillips is the 2nd best coach in NFL.

Who was talking about Pete Carroll in the NFL? Nice try again.

And do you know who was on the 2005-2006 Lakers? Go look at the roster but you probably don't know anything about the NBA. Way to isolate a season, I can do that with any coach in the history of sports.

Who was talking about Pete Carroll in the NFL? Nice try again.

And do you know who was on the 2005-2006 Lakers? Go look at the roster but you probably don't know anything about the NBA. Way to isolate a season, I can do that with any coach in the history of sports.

Kobe was on the team. If he is a great coach then he should be able to coach his way higher than barely 500.

We are talking about coaching so in my mind NFL does matter. Carrol COACHED in the NFL and the teams got worse.

You base it on if you win you must be a great coach. You want Wade Phillips over Lovie?

Any coach could coach the Pats to the Super Bowl.

Any coach could coach the Pats to the Super Bowl.

using your logic, i'l ask you this....who coached the team of 'nobodys' to the Superbowl in 2001?

and who built that team and the subsequent Patriot's teams right up to today?...coached them

to 2 more Suerbowl wins and now back in it again?

Reasons I hate the Pats (in order):

1 - Their coach. Quite frankly, the guy is a total a$$. Might be a great coach, motivator, talent evaluator, etc.... but as a person he seems like a guy I would hate to actually know. Smug, arrogant, completely wrapped up in his own world, doesn't care what anyone thinks or does - he's gonna get his regardless. Yeah, that's someone I would like as a neighbor or boss...

2 - The fans. Someone earlier said it best - the absolute blind homerism of fans there is striking. And contrary to what their fans on this board may say, they folks I knew as a kid, and still know today absolutely HATE the success of other teams. Which is why they are so tough to deal with now. The success of the Red Sox and Pats after years of nothing makes them feel like they were owed this... and everyone else can f#ck off. It will be interesting to see what happens when the success ends...

3 - The region. I grew up in New England (not born there) and though there are some things I remember fondly, I physically cringe whenever I have to go back to visit. I have lived in every region of the country as an adult (sans midwest) and New England always feels so small and so adverse to change.... not in a Applachian hills sort of way, but it feels like I step out of a time machine whenever I go back or talk to someone from there. After living all over the country, New England would be dead last if someone put a gun to my head and asked me where I wanted to go...

4 - Brady. Perhaps its jealousy since I was a huge fan of Marino and frankly think Marino was a much better QB than Brady ever will be - but Brady has the rings and Marino doesn't...