[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Southern Cuisine

Big Country

So, taking a big family vacation to Fripp Island, Sout hCarolina in May. It will be my MIL and her hsband, my family, my wife's sister's family and her brother's family, all lumped up cozy in some big beach house.

Essentially each family will be responsible for making dinner for everyone two nights while there. I was hoping to do some traditional soutehrn or Carolina cuisine.

I found a recipe for a dish called Hoppin John in a slow cooker cookbook and made some the other day. The recipe was vegetarian though it said traditionally it included hamhocks. Well, it came out dry and bland. It is basically blackeyed peas, rice and some bell peppers and hot sauce slow cooked. So, I kicked it up last night, and added a can of tomatoes that I mixed in, let cook down and then added some ground beef that I browned and seasoned. Now that made it actually quite good.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand. I could use ideas or recipes for traditional Carolina cuisine, or at least Southern fare (my brother in laws wife is from Alabama and they live in Nashville, so I was hoping to go even more regional with Carolina specific cuisine one night). I will have unknown kitchen facilities and tools, but supposedly it is a properly stocked kitchen in terms of pots and pans, oven, microwave, etc.. Please no seafood as most of the family does not care for it (including me and my wife).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

almost an ignored area for me..... but i have to imagine that a variation of grits as side would be a decent option:

3 cups water in a microwave-safe measuring cup

1 teaspoon vegetable oil

2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, minced

3/4 cup quick grits

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, preferably Reggiano

1 teaspoon butter

Black pepper, to taste

Microwave water until very hot, 3 to 4 minutes. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add prosciutto; saute until moisture evaporates and bits start to fry and crisp, about 3 minutes. Remove prosciutto; set aside. Add the hot water to the empty pan and bring to a boil. Whisk in grits and salt. Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat until thick, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in prosciutto, cheese, butter and pepper to taste. Let stand to cool and allow flavors to blend, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve.

lol, what kind of hoppin john recipe is that???????

Soak you some blackeyes overnight. The next day pour the liquid off and rinse again. Add water, an onion, , lots of garlic, and smoked sausage or ham hock. Cook a couple hours until done. Cook you enough rice that when it is done you will have a 50/50 ratio of rice and peas.

When the rice is done combine them and add enough tony's/ slapyamama to please your taste. You will have a real white trash feast.

Trust me, it is fit.

not sure how southern this is, but should fit in fine.... can do this with pork chops or tenderloin.

1 lb pork tenderloin, trimmed, cut into 1-inch-thick slices

1 C seasoned flour

5 tbs butter

4 medium Golden Delicious apples (about 1 1/2 pounds); peeled, cored,

sliced 1/3 inch thick

1 tsp br. sugar

2 large shallots, samll dice

1 tbs chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried

1/4 C Calvados or other apple brandy

1 C whipping cream

1/4 cup apple cider

Place pork slices between plastic wrap. Using mallet, pound pork slices to 1/4-inch thickness. (Can be prepared 4 hours ahead. Cover tightly and refrigerate.) dredge in seasoned flour.

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples and sugar to skillet and sauté until golden brown, about 6 minutes. Set aside.

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in another heavy large skillet over high heat. Add pork to skillet and sauté until just cooked through, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to plate; keep warm.

Melt 1 tablespoon butter in same skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and thyme and sauté 2 minutes. Add Calvados and boil until reduced to glaze, scraping up any browned bits. Stir in cream and cider; boil until mixture thickens to sauce consistency, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Reheat apples, if necessary. Arrange a few pork slices on each plate. Spoon sauce over. Top generously with sautéed apple slices and serve.

serves about 4

almost an ignored area for me..... but i have to imagine that a variation of grits as side would be a decent option:

3 cups water in a microwave-safe measuring cup

1 teaspoon vegetable oil

2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, minced

3/4 cup quick grits

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, preferably Reggiano

1 teaspoon butter

Black pepper, to taste

Microwave water until very hot, 3 to 4 minutes. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add prosciutto; saute until moisture evaporates and bits start to fry and crisp, about 3 minutes. Remove prosciutto; set aside. Add the hot water to the empty pan and bring to a boil. Whisk in grits and salt. Simmer, uncovered, over medium-low heat until thick, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in prosciutto, cheese, butter and pepper to taste. Let stand to cool and allow flavors to blend, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve.

No self respecting southerner would use quick grits, nr prepare them in the microwave.

Shame on you Bier. You, of all people, should know better.

This is not going to win me many friends down this way, but I am really not a fan of southern cooking in general and could seriously live with out Eastern NC BBQ as well.

As for the first, it can be tasty enough, but it is not an inspired cuisine that deserves any regional fame. I mean, fry practically anything and it's good. Use enough salted pork, butter, etc in most anything and it's good.

Shrimp and grits is nice enough but certainly no better than dozens and dozens of variations on Italian polenta dishes that have no more fame than, just another Italian polenta dish. Meanwhile Shrimp and Grits is on every menu in Charleston.

As for the BBQ. Once again, certainly not bad. Of course, it's made from pig so of course it's going to be good. I figure, if you're cooking with pig, you start at a B+ and go from there. If you don't end up an A, you did something wrong. Eastern NC BBQ as it has been served to me most times likely doesn't crack the top 30 tasty things you can do with pork and it gets beat out by plenty of things that do not get any run at all.

Here's one, chorizo and eggs. Given the choice, I'll take that nearly every time over Eastern NC BBQ. However, it's just freaking chorizo and eggs. You don't need to build a huge fire and cook a whole pig all day long, you just have to scramble some eggs and sausage. There's no place that's the "chorizo and eggs capital".

No self respecting southerner would use quick grits, nr prepare them in the microwave.

Shame on you Bier. You, of all people, should know better.

well.....i'm a metro californian that doesn't cook southern food. solid recipe though. please make the appropriate adjustments for the recipe.

Shrimp and grits is nice enough but certainly no better than dozens and dozens of variations on Italian polenta dishes that have no more fame than, just another Italian polenta dish. Meanwhile Shrimp and Grits is on every menu in Charleston.

well in italy, the regional polenta dish is probably on a lot of menus in any given town as well. in south carolina, they serve shrimp and grits, which, done well, tastes really good. :wacko:

As for the BBQ. Once again, certainly not bad. Of course, it's made from pig so of course it's going to be good. I figure, if you're cooking with pig, you start at a B+ and go from there. If you don't end up an A, you did something wrong. Eastern NC BBQ as it has been served to me most times likely doesn't crack the top 30 tasty things you can do with pork and it gets beat out by plenty of things that do not get any run at all.

i think BBQ tends to get obsessed over a little more than it ought to by regional advocates, from the carolinas, KC, texas, etc. these guys often act like it's the highest art form known to man, and it just isn't. but pork cooked long and slow over smoke, then accented with a sweet, tangy, vinegar based sauce....i'm gonna have to disagree that there are 30+ ways to make pork taste better than that. :drool:

Carolinas have many influences. From African, Dutch and Portugese. If you want to get detailed visit some cookbooks, i.e. The University of North Carolina cookbooks are very good and give a history behind the tastes and dishes.

Basic and simple?

Rice Pudding is a must.

Grits done right are a must. I like mixing a roasted garlic puree in my grits. Like polenta they require your attention, but are very easy and friggin' great done right. Use chicken stock.

Pork shoulder, slow cooked with a sweet potatoe pie or fritters sound yummy

Baby crabs and rock shrimp are excellant additions.

A lima bean soup with hamhocks and hot sauce and dumplings comes to mind

Edited by Hugh B Tool

well in italy, the regional polenta dish is probably on a lot of menus in any given town as well. in south carolina, they serve shrimp and grits, which, done well, tastes really good. :wacko:

i think BBQ tends to get obsessed over a little more than it ought to by regional advocates, from the carolinas, KC, texas, etc. these guys often act like it's the highest art form known to man, and it just isn't. but pork cooked long and slow over smoke, then accented with a sweet, tangy, vinegar based sauce....i'm gonna have to disagree that there are 30+ ways to make pork taste better than that. :drool:

My point is this: You are in Colorado and know of shrimp and grits as a famous southern food. However, it is not some miraculous, one-of-a-kind creation like other famous dishes from other cultures. Mole Poblano, for instance. That is an amazing and unique dish that deserves to be the calling card for a regional cuisine. Shrimp and grits is no better or worse than any variation of corn meal porridge (ie polenta) served with a well made savory meat or seafood ragout. Nothing about it says, "Wow! who'da thunk it!" I'm not saying it's not good, just oddly prominent considering it's fundamental resemblance to so many other foods. I understand what you are saying about the provincial nature of Italian food but would argue that, within any region in Italy, there will likely be a variety of dishes like shrimp and grits, while they will all have a common regional thread to them, none would be considered famous. Rather, just another polenta dish.

As for BBQ, I'm not saying there's 30 things you can do with pork that are tastier than BBQ, just Eastern NC BBQ. Whenever I've dogged it, I've been told, "well you haven't tried so and so's." However, that's not the point. I mean, somebody makes a great version of pretty much everything. However, in order for a dish to get the run that it does, I think that you should be able to get a pretty damned good version all over the place. IMO, that's simply not the case. Far too often, it's mushy and tart from too much vinegar. Rarely any crispy bits. Oh, right, you have to ask for the crispy part. Really? you need to specially order your BBQ to have some crispy browned goodness? Wouldn't you think that's rather fundamental to the genre? When I order a grilled steak, I don't have to make a point of saying, "Don't grill it over 100 degree flame so it doesn't just slowly heat up and never sear."

Take carnitas tacos. I can go into any number of taquerias here in Durham and get a pretty damned good version and I'm not in the epicenter of carnitas. Just another metropolitan region with a growing Latino population. So, the fact that I live in Eastern NC and find that I can get better Mexican pork than Eastern NC BBQ sort of knocks it down several notches in my book.

Edited by detlef

So seafood is out? bummer as oysters BBQ'd on a wood plank are Carolina. As is Coca-Cola chocolate cake. And any decent southern dish including the Lina's cuisine has to have fried green tomatoes IMO

Funny you mention Coca-Cola cake. If you ask certain Carolinians, they'd say Coke is Atlanta, Pepsi is Carolina.

My point is this: You are in Colorado and know of shrimp and grits as a famous southern food.

i didn't know about it until i spent a little time in south carolina, where i had it, thought it tasted good, and learned that it was sort of a famous south carolina dish. which, you know, is what big country asked for.

Funny you mention Coca-Cola cake. If you ask certain Carolinians, they'd say Coke is Atlanta, Pepsi is Carolina.

Not the Lee brothers, but maybe they are more South Carolina. Never had a Pepsi-cola chocolate cake. The Coca-cola rocked!

Fried Chicken

Hot dogs with Slaw and Chili

Banana Pudding

Mashed Potatoes

Cornbread and / or biscuits

String Beans

Hamburger Steak with Gravy

Beef Tips with Peppers and Onions over rice

Macaroni and Cheese ( Baked Version )

Livermush and Eggs

Meatloaf

Fried Fish ( Usually Flounder ) and hushpuppies

Pimento Cheese Sammiches

Sweet Tea to wash it down

it has been a little while since i've made polenta.... so was discussing proportions with det.

just did the "grits" with corn meal..... i am going to turn them into cakes... so changed the proportion of liquid a little bit to make it easier to set (went to about 2-1 liquid to grain).... tastes great. now need to see how well it will set. going to cut them into either circles or long rectangles and do a quick sear. you can sear, deep fry, grill or bake the cakes.

Detlef, expound on eastern nc bbq. I have heard of it but do not know how to prepare such a thing.

Eastern-NC-Style

It's easier to be a Master Chef at the New York Academy Of Culinary Arts & Sciences, it's easier to be be a Professor Of Sanskrit at the Sorbone, it's easier to be a Master Steak Chef at Blackie's in DC, than it is to be a Master BBQ Chef Of Eastern-NC-BBQ. That's because Eastern-NC-Style BBQ is plain whole-hog pork meat, with just the tiniest bit of vinegar-based "sauce" which isn't a sauce at all, applied as a moistening agent. Eastern-Style BBQ is usually one of two grades; either excellent, or close to inedible. When you have a fine-chopped (almost to the point of being ground at times, without use of a mechanical grinder) plain meat dish, with just enough vinegar "sauce" to wake up your tastebuds and nothing else, the meat, the grade of the meat, how the pig is butchered and prepared, the pain-staking slow-cooking process, everything culminates to when it hit's your tongue with either an "ahhhhh" or a "yecchhh!".

Most times Eastern-Style is served with cole slaw, as a side dish if served on a plate, or atop the BBQ itself if served in a sandwich. Craig Claiborne, the former NY Times food critic and a converted fan of NC BBQ, often said an Eastern-Style BBQ sandwich, with the astringency stress of the (usually slightly hot pepper flavor but not much) vinegar sauce balanced with the cool blanche' of the cole slaw made such an Eastern-NC-Style sandwich a true delicacy, an epicurean delight.

Edited by twiley