[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fake Crab Meat

Footballjoe

fokking disgusting is what it is.

Also seems like alot of so called "nice" sushi restuarants use Krab chit meat in their rolls - unreal

you know? i don't mind it.. i just don't like it when it is passed off as crab.

you know? i don't mind it.. i just don't like it when it is passed off as crab.

I have been trying to eat better and trying to lose a few pounds. (40 to be exact). I have been eating a salad for lunch for the past two weeks. I usually put a scoop or two in my salad. i like it mixed in but I do agree its not crab meat. I live around the Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic and have caught my own crabs for years. This fake stuff does not compare but its not bad mixed in the salad.

I have been trying to eat better and trying to lose a few pounds. (40 to be exact). I have been eating a salad for lunch for the past two weeks. I usually put a scoop or two in my salad. i like it mixed in but I do agree its not crab meat. I live around the Chesapeake Bay and Atlantic and have caught my own crabs for years. This fake stuff does not compare but its not bad mixed in the salad.

Back when I was a health nut and in awesome shape, I use to eat it straight out of the package. Low carb and decent amount of protein.

I hardly ever eat seafood in KC. And if I do, it's usually at an upscale place. As Alice Cooper once said:

"Never order the catch of the day in Kansas City. You can be sure it hasn't been anywhere near water within 24 hours."

Now fresh largemouth bass or crappie, which I catch myself and eat within about a 12 hour span, is the bomb.

Pollack, whiting, lump crab meat, mirin, fish sauce, egg whites, salt, sugar and a few other seasonings, fillers and preservatives. If it is top shelf surimi(which BTW is the name of fake crab) it will also have a bit of snow crab meat in it.

There is some real good stuff(many wouldn't be able to tell the diff) and there is mostly real mediocre stuff depending on price point and where you buy it. The stuff in most grocery stores and/or salad bars is middle of the road, but passable. Worked as Monger and in R&D for the largest seafood and surimi distributor in the U.S.

Gorton's, Mrs. Fridays, you name it, we made it. So, I know a bit too much about the stuff, but still eat certain brands.

i have no idea what you are talking about..... but i am just naive being from san francisco and all :wacko:

:D Wait a minute! I'm from there as well! You mean to tell me I could have been getting delicious dungeoness crab that whole time and never tried it? You must know somebody.