[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

**Official** Swedish Meatball Poll

SheikYerbuti

**Official** Swedish Meatball Poll  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What do you like them served on?

• Wide Egg Noodles
    • Rice
    • Mashed Potatoes
    • A Toothpick
    • Puddy

I voted.

Can you post a recipe? Have'nt had them in YEARS.

I'm still working on which recipe to use. . .problem is, most of the recipes I'm finding have the sauce made from the identical ingredients as a Hungarian Goulash (beef broth and sour cream as the base with small variations on everything else).

Bier?

I'm still working on which recipe to use. . .problem is, most of the recipes I'm finding have the sauce made from the identical ingredients as a Hungarian Goulash (beef broth and sour cream as the base with small variations on everything else).

Bier?

yeah.... not far off from a stroganoff

I voted.

Can you post a recipe? Have'nt had them in YEARS.

OK, so here's the recipe I went with. I'm guessing on most of the amounts, since I was cooking 5 other dishes while making the Swedish meatballs. There was a lot of eyeballing on the amounts. . .

2 lbs. meatloaf mix (1/3 ground veal, 1/3 ground beef, 1/3 ground pork)

1/2 cup breadcrumbs

1/3 cup milk

1 egg

vegetable oil

2 tbsp. flour

2 tbsp. butter

3/4 cup beef broth

1/2 cup sour cream

salt and pepper

1 tbsp. onion powder

1 tbsp. parsley

Put the meat, breadcrumbs, milk, egg, onion powder and parsley in a large mixing bowl. Combine well with your hands. Make as many bite sized meatballs as you can out of the mixture (I think I got around 60 or so). Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet or conventional skillet and sear the meatballs in batches (don't crowd the pan). Add a tbsp of oil in between batches. After seared, place the meatballs on a baking sheet and place in oven to finish internal cooking, about 10 minutes.

Sauce: Put the flour and butter in the skillet and whisk until a roux is created, about 4 minutes. Deglaze the pan with the beef broth. Remove from heat and slowly whisk in the sour cream. Remove the meatballs from the oven and pour the sauce over them.

Note: I put the finished product into a 1.5 quart crock pot set on WARM. At first the sauce was a tad thin and not all that amazing. However, as the night went on the sauce got thicker, more complex and more concentrated. By the time it was the 4th quarter, the sauce was AMAZING. Next time I'm going to make them a few hours in advance and let them simmer over low heat to get the sauce like that again.

Oh, and I served them with toothpicks.

OK, so here's the recipe I went with. I'm guessing on most of the amounts, since I was cooking 5 other dishes while making the Swedish meatballs. There was a lot of eyeballing on the amounts. . .

2 lbs. meatloaf mix (1/3 ground veal, 1/3 ground beef, 1/3 ground pork)

1/2 cup breadcrumbs

1/3 cup milk

1 egg

vegetable oil

2 tbsp. flour

2 tbsp. butter

3/4 cup beef broth

1/2 cup sour cream

salt and pepper

1 tbsp. onion powder

1 tbsp. parsley

Put the meat, breadcrumbs, milk, egg, onion powder and parsley in a large mixing bowl. Combine well with your hands. Make as many bite sized meatballs as you can out of the mixture (I think I got around 60 or so). Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet or conventional skillet and sear the meatballs in batches (don't crowd the pan). Add a tbsp of oil in between batches. After seared, place the meatballs on a baking sheet and place in oven to finish internal cooking, about 10 minutes.

Sauce: Put the flour and butter in the skillet and whisk until a roux is created, about 4 minutes. Deglaze the pan with the beef broth. Remove from heat and slowly whisk in the sour cream. Remove the meatballs from the oven and pour the sauce over them.

Note: I put the finished product into a 1.5 quart crock pot set on WARM. At first the sauce was a tad thin and not all that amazing. However, as the night went on the sauce got thicker, more complex and more concentrated. By the time it was the 4th quarter, the sauce was AMAZING. Next time I'm going to make them a few hours in advance and let them simmer over low heat to get the sauce like that again.

Oh, and I served them with toothpicks.

Thanks Sheik. Glad you added the bolded note.