[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

New England taped Rams' final walkthrough before 2002 Super Bowl?...

ABearWithFurniture

Patriots, NFL deny allegation

February 2, 2008 from Yahoo Sports

PHOENIX (AP) -- A member of the New England Patriots' video staff taped the St. Louis Rams' last walkthrough before the 2002 Super Bowl, a Boston newspaper reported Saturday.

The NFL, however, said it was satisfied this was not another Spygate.

"We were aware of the rumor months ago and looked into it. There was no evidence of it on the tapes or in the notes produced by the Patriots, and the Patriots told us it was not true," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told The Associated Press.

Citing an unidentified source, the Boston Herald reported that a Patriots employee recorded the Rams' walkthrough at the Superdome in the New Orleans a day before the Super Bowl. New England beat the heavily favored Rams 20-17 its first NFL title.

The Herald reported that a source close to the Patriots in the 2001 season said the team held a walkthrough at the Superdome in New Orleans before the game on Feb. 3, 2002. After the Patriots took a team picture, a member of their video department stayed inside the stadium and taped the Rams' session.

It was not known whether the cameraman was told by the Patriots to film the practice or what he did with the tape, the Herald said. The Rams were two-touchdown favorites, but lost on Adam Vinatieri's last-second field goal.

"The suggestion that the New England Patriots recorded the St. Louis Rams' walkthrough on the day before Super Bowl XXXVI is absolutely false. Any suggestion to the contrary is untrue," Patriots spokesman Stacey James told the AP.

Rams spokesman Rick Smith, reading a statement from team president John Shaw, said, "At this point, we have no comment."

The unbeaten Patriots will try to win their fourth Super Bowl in seven seasons Sunday when they play the New York Giants.

Early this season, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell fined New England coach Bill Belichick $500,000 and docked the team $250,000 and a first-round draft pick after the Spygate scandal. The Patriots were accused of videotaping New York Jets defensive coaches as they signaled to players.

New England did not have a walkthrough Saturday. The Giants held one at the Arizona Cardinals' practice facility.

A walkthrough is done without pads or helmets, giving teams a chance to practice their formations.

Goodell spent much of his state of the game address Friday talking about that episode. He said he did not think the Patriots used such tapes to win previous titles.

"There was no indication that it benefited them in any of the Super Bowl victories," he said.

Goodell also defended his decision to destroy notes and videotapes linked to the Spygate, saying "there was no purpose for them."

Sen. Arlen Specter, R-Pa., who sent Goodell a letter asking for explanation, said Goodell's response "didn't make any sense at all."

Edited by ABearWithFurniture

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL. This just continues to prove that cheaters always wins.

Instead of cheaters never win. The senator statement was priceless. It didnt make any sense.

Thats like destroying a murder weapon and locking someone up. Saying they did it and not keeping it to compare if new evidence came into the case to prove they did it even more. The new cheating Patriots Dynasty is just a joke to me now. Period! Because in reality they just got caught cheating. No telling how many other times they cheated. Its sad so sad; that the Ref's and the NFL had to give the Pats a perfect season by cheating again for them against the Ravens. Thats why he destroyed the tapes he didnt want people to have anything to compare it to. Especially if it was to go to a Congressional hearing.

After the end of tomorrow's Super Bowl game, I propose Bill Belichick get banned from coaching in the NFL and fined another $500,000, if he it is proven he did cheat during the Super Bowl game against the Rams. What he did is selfish and distrustful, he'll never have the same integrity again in his football career.

I do not believe any of the actual players on the roster knew of the cheating though, they were likely only given the exact right offensive or defensive formations to counter the opponents'.

:wacko:

Yawn. The Boston Herald reported this today and honestly, I think they need to put up or shut up.

Are you kidding me? Do you know how deep this can get?

A lot of people gamble on Super Bowl games, let alone any major sporting events. Cheating in any official sport is a big time :wacko:

Things are going to start heating up real quick in the media about this once the Super Bowl is over, you can count on it.

This has to be embarassing for Patriot fans. Who would have thought someone could get away with this much alleged cheating for so long,before this yr.

How tainted is Tom Brady, Bill Belichick and the NE Patriots if any of this new alligation is true.

Like Martz said, I hope this isnt true. THis would be Barry Bonds esque if true, and would deserve some sort of * one would think.

NFL reported that they see NO evidence to support these allegations, and do not have anything that shows that the Pats taped the final walk through...It is a rumor that started with the Boston Herald, which is one step up from a tabloid newspaper like the Enquirer......

Here;s hoping the Pats win big tonight, to put this entire story behind them.....with Spygate breaking week 1, you don't think every team...official...has been keeping an 'eye' on the Patriots to make sure there isnt any wrong doings this year?

NFL reported that they see NO evidence to support these allegations, and do not have anything that shows that the Pats taped the final walk through...It is a rumor that started with the Boston Herald, which is one step up from a tabloid newspaper like the Enquirer......

Here;s hoping the Pats win big tonight, to put this entire story behind them.....with Spygate breaking week 1, you don't think every team...official...has been keeping an 'eye' on the Patriots to make sure there isnt any wrong doings this year?

Not saying this condemns the Pats, but just because the league is downplaying the validity doesn't mean much. It's hardly in the best interest of the league for this to be true. I mean, it's not like MLB was looking too hard for steroids before they were basically forced to by congress.

I, for one, was amazed that the commish had those first batch of tapes destroyed. I remember thinking, what the hell?

None the less, I frankly hope it isn't true but wouldn't mind seeing them get theirs if it is.

This is all such bullcrap. This guy making the allegations sounds to me like he's a couple donuts short of a dozen. Why did the Pats let him go in 2003 anyhow? What's his angle here? He could have come out with this YEARS ago, or even months ago when the other story broke, but he decides to wait until the DAY BEFORE THE SUPER BOWL? That says 'attention seeker' to me.

yeah well, in light of their confirmed destruction of evidence for no apparent (legitimate) reason, i'm not sure that this fact carries much exculpatory weight at this point.

+1 :brew:

Too many of you on these boards are not old enough to remember "Watergate". But that is THE FIRST thing that came to my mind when I saw that the League had destroyed the evidence! A small incident that caused a seated US President to resign !

Why destroy it? IF there was nothing there, prove it to the public by making it available to EVERYONE! :guns: Probably was taking up too much storage space at NFL HQ. :D

There is clearly something to hide and when you take into account the ramifications of proof of cheating for the league AND Vegas, it is in their interest to "cover it up"! (Imagine the nightmare of thou$ands of people demanding lost bet$ be refunded and the court battles that would follow! :wacko::D )

Just like Nixon, the destruction of this evidence causes more questions than answers and casts greater belief in the fact that this was deeper than anyone is willing to admit. Pat fans, like the Republican faithful of the time will play this down as best they can. But, I was convinced long before this story broke that there was a lot more to this than the NFL wanted us to know back when Goodell gave them nothing but a slap on the wrist and destroyed the evidence that could prove just how "minimal" the Pat's/Bel-I-Cheat's actions really were on the outcome of games that litterally had millions of $$$ riding on each one.

The " * " will NEVER go away in my mind and I will NEVER put even a casual bet on any NFL game EVER again! :moon:

Edited by McBoog

whoa!....so now, its not only the Patriots that you guys are accusing, but you are including

Goodell and the entire NFL brass....wow!

since when is it your right, or Goodell' obligation, to make private league matters public?

did you conveniently forget what Goodell said as to why the information was destroyed?

did you conveniently forget the penalties he handed the Patriot organization and BB? ("slap on the wrist" :wacko: )

now you people want to spin Nixon and Vegas into the story....too funny

whats next??...Bob Kraft is responsible for the high oil prices??...Scott Pioli knows were Bin Laden is hiding, but wont tell??.......you guys are nuts!

Edited by pig devilz

Much ado about nothing. Just more BS to ruin what should be a really great game to watch. I am sure that HGTV has some great shows on during the SB for those of you that have decided to condem on the word of some malcontent looking for attention and without any sort of proof.

Me... I am ready for some football.

If you look closely at the Zapruder film, you can see a guy wearing a hoody filming Zapruder as he makes the film. I hear that Specter is looking into this.

The way some of you girls weep and gnash your teeth over this stuff is comical. Well, the Patriots might have done something that they may have tried to use that may have been of some benefit to them That's all I need to know. Get out the asterisk stamp! And the tarnsih! And bring me my hanky while you're at it.

Comparing this to Watergate? Dude, get a grip and get back on the medication.

LOL. This just continues to prove that cheaters always wins.

Instead of cheaters never win. The senator statement was priceless. It didnt make any sense.

Thats like destroying a murder weapon and locking someone up. Saying they did it and not keeping it to compare if new evidence came into the case to prove they did it even more. The new cheating Patriots Dynasty is just a joke to me now. Period! Because in reality they just got caught cheating. No telling how many other times they cheated. Its sad so sad; that the Ref's and the NFL had to give the Pats a perfect season by cheating again for them against the Ravens. Thats why he destroyed the tapes he didnt want people to have anything to compare it to. Especially if it was to go to a Congressional hearing.

you don't need the U...we can tell your intellectual prowess from your post... :D

destroying film of a football game equals destroying a murder weapon... :D

why not just come right out and say "I'm stupid" and save the rest of your keystrokes... :wacko: