[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tom Petty

i_am_the_swammi

Petty has never been what one could call a rocker . Just puts out decent music without it being all about look at him, flamboyance, or wardrobe malfunctions.

This is from a Yahoo blurb about winners and losers:

"WINNER: Tom Petty

Petty never seemed like a real flashy act, and he served himself well by keeping the Super Bowl pyrotechnics to a minimum and just playing four of his classics. It may not go down as the most memorable Super Bowl halftime show, but it was a definite crowd pleaser and certainly loved by his fans.

Super Bowl acts usually fail when they try to do too much – or in the infamous Justin Timberlake-Janet Jackson encounter, reveal too much. There's nothing wrong with keeping it simple."

Guess the old axiom holds true in this instance.... You can never have a good portion of Huddler users happy about anything. The norm is to tear it down or complain.

Was a great game and a very decent half-time performance. Just don't know what more anyone could hope for. But then... that's just me I guess.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK.

Let's put together a listing of "Granda Rock Acts" that would be acceptable for future Superbowl games, that have not already played in one.

So far:

1) Van Halen (the origninal Van Halen)

2) Led Zeppelin

3) ..........

I didn't watch the halftime show. I'm kind of tired of the NFL picking artists whose careers pinnacled 20+ years ago, but I'm sure we'll never see anything else thanks to Janet Jackson / Justin Timberlake. However, I'm sure a middle-aged Justin could be invited to perform at Super Bowl LXIV. Still, the trend of picking old people to play at halftime is safe and has the best chance of appealing to the most viewers.

I was watching an interview with BB last week and they asked him what he thought about Tom Petty playing the half time show he was excited about it "big fan" he said his last word was "freefallin" then he left the podium. I guess it's safe to say The Patriots theme song for this season could be "Freefallin" :wacko:

Yeah, they were too busy practicing there craft of making timeless music than to work on there dance steps.

The music is the show.

Gotta disagree.

They make such a big damm deal about who's playing and then advertise the hell out of it. For that much hype, I want a show.

If all I want is music, I'll download it onto my MP3 player.

And for what's it worth, I like Tom Petty. Just thought the show was duller than dull - for a Super Bowl anyway. I'd like some more splash and pizzazz.

it was lame. totally boring. it had bier meister sawing logs a couple recliners over from me, and i was fighting the same thing hard. prince last year was a million times better.

Prince was a much better halftime show. Petty was Petty. I like him and that's what you get with Petty. Straight ahead rock show.

Add me to the list of guys that very much liked Petty for half time.

I guess I understand thouse that are looking for all sorts of "big show" stuff for the half-time, but I will take music that I very much like by people that do not seem to be fake over the jazed up lip sync crowd any day. I also think Prince was better last year but I have no problem with Petty other than song selection and that is minor.

personally - I'd rather see something remotely dealing with football...

the QB challange... RB Challange.... The final hands of a Texas Holdem game with NFL players.... NFL Karaoke...

NFL paintball match where all the money that it costs to produce a halftime show goes to the charity of the winners choice. Heck - viewers can call in and add to the donations... if player X wins I will give this much to his charity.

heck - I'd be happier watching NFL players play Rock Star to the music for the half time show rather than watch the halftime show itself.

Edited by Duchess Jack

For one, I was just happy to have a halftime show that did not cause me to jump for the remote to change channels. Tom Petty is an icon in the industry. No, he isn't flashy. No, he doesn't jump around the stage much. He lets his finely crafted songs do the talking. And I found it particulary refreshing that a halftime performer had enough self confidence to actually perform the songs live instead of the usual studio recorded lame ass lip synching we usually get. All you guys ripping on Petty just don't have a clue.

Edited by rattsass

For one, I was just happy to have a halftime show that did not cause me to jump for the remote to change channels. Tom Petty is an icon in the industry. No, he isn't flashy. No, he doesn't jump around the stage much. He lets his finely crafted songs do the talking. And I found it particulary refreshing that a halftime performer had enough self confidence to actually perform the songs live instead of the usual studio recorded lame ass lip synching we usually get. All you guys ripping on Petty just don't have a clue.

When was the last halftime performer that didn't perform the songs live? :wacko:

I am only ripping on Petty because the guy has an incredible catalog and delivered the maudlin and tepid "I Won't Back Down" and "Runnin' Down a Dream" and "Free Fallin'". Not saying those aren't cool tunes, but dang, "Even the Losers", "Don't Come Around Here No More", "I Need to Know", "The Waiting"....

Facts are facts. Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers tickets went on sale this morning for their summer US Tour. The halftime thing was as much an advertisement as anything. They kind of sit in that uncomfortable marketing space where they were never the biggest band in the world or in their genre, and they are kind of not quite elder statesmen of anything in particular, even though they are a frickin fantastic band and put on a great live show.

Have to play the hits to get the 30 and 40 somethings to remember their high school and their college days fondly and fork over the $75 a ticket, I guess. Then we'll get "Breakdown", "Here Comes My Girl", "Refugee", "Jammin' Me", etc.....

Paul McCartney, the Stones, Prince....those are tough acts to follow, so not everyone's going to be happy.

it's not that the songs suck or that petty sucks. it was just a lame show. some old guys playing the 4 biggest hits off a CD that came out 15 years ago. they played them fine and they're fine songs, but whoop-de-friggin-doo. :wacko:

That was what I thought too. Technically very good indeed but no show as such. I like Tom Petty, like most people, but "inoffensive" pretty much sums it up. I guess the NFL will be more than happy with that.