[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Manning to Tyree

jjpro11

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first play that popped into my head was the Steve McNair play where he went down on one hand before zipping the ball nearly 40 yards, the play before they lost to the Rams. Eli's play was better because of the ridiculous catch that was made.

Congrats to the Giants.

For the last couple of hours, I've been driving home from Chandler to Tucson and trying to think of a more amazing play in as big a moment...and I can't do it. So, I'll just say it right now: All things considered, that's the greatest football play I've ever seen. :D

As I told my wife in the car, everybody always talks about the how-bad-do-you-want-it factor. Analysts say one guy or one team "wanted" it more than the opponent. Coaches even have a made-up word for it "want-to," which is an apparently quantifiable, measurable material. If I were choosing from the library of ALL the great plays in ALL of sports history, I doubt I'd find another play that embodied that concept better.

Congrats to Eli, Tyree, and everybody associated with the Giants. :wacko:

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead

when manning broke the tackle(s) and threw the ball, the thought flashed through my head, if he completes this it will be one of the greatest plays in super bowl history. then that f'er made one of the greatest CATCHES i've ever seen. amazing play. get used to seeing that one folks, because it will be burned into your retinas via highlight reels over the next few decades. :D

Absolutely. We wanted to see history last night -- and we saw it. Put that one on the all-time superbowl highlight film. What an escape - what a catch - what a key play ... Amazing. :wacko:

part of why it was so amazing was that i don't think i've ever seen a catch like that, let alone in that hugh of a situation. pinning the ball against your helmet and then falling backwards, having your back bent, and keeping the ball maybe an inch above the ground? simply incredible. i think aikman made the point as well that he'd never seen anything like that.

by the way, props to aikman for calling a great game.

As I told my wife in the car, everybody always talks about the how-bad-do-you-want-it factor. Analysts say one guy or one team "wanted" it more than the opponent. Coaches even have a made-up word for it "want-to," which is an apparently quantifiable, measurable material. If I were choosing from the library of ALL the great plays in ALL of sports history, I doubt I'd find another play that embodied that concept better.

that is well-said and very true. one play that embodied the same sort of "want-to", especially from a cinematic, re-play factor, was the elway helicopter play against green bay. it is just cool to see the super bowl inspire people to that almost out-of-body level of concentration and determination.

:D

:D I was expecting someone to bump that thread. I'm happy for Eli. I think the Mannings are as classy as it gets.

P.S. I'm still happy with Ben, but, wow, I've never seen a QB turnaround a season like Eli did this year. They were calling for his head a little over a month ago.

You mean like when they went John Elway on the Chargers and told them that if they drafted him he would sit the season and enter the draft again the following year? :wacko:

He has fixed that rep pretty well and nutted up BIG TIME last night. Props to him. But THAT was not classy!

It was the play of the game.

I've seen "In the grasp" called on alot less then that. Glad they didn't call it because it's yet another judgement call.

Which is exactly why, "in the grasp" is a lame rule. I've seen plenty of QBs get hammered right as the whistle was blowing for in the grasp so it certainly didn't save him getting hit. On the other hand, I've seen plays like last night never happen because the ref was too quick to blow it dead.

You mean like when they went John Elway on the Chargers and told them that if they drafted him he would sit the season and enter the draft again the following year? :wacko:

He has fixed that rep pretty well and nutted up BIG TIME last night. Props to him. But THAT was not classy!

True. I do agree with the Chargers situation, but, I've gotten past that, due to the way he has handled himself since.