[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Moss' future in NE

Bill Swerski

Saw this in MMQB...

Quote of the Week III

"We don't really conversate.''

--The real words of New England wideout Randy Moss, on his relationship with coach Bill Belichick.

I had thought that the Pats' odds of signing Moss to the 4+ year deal that he'll command as a FA was less than 50/50 last week. But after what happened last night and after reading this, I think that he's as good as gone.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this in MMQB...

I had thought that the Pats' odds of signing Moss to the 4+ year deal that he'll command as a FA was less than 50/50 last week. But after what happened last night and after reading this, I think that he's as good as gone.

I'd be pretty upset if I was Moss as well. It seemed as if McDaniels was trying to show everyone that the offense could roll without Moss... They utilized him on a single drive correctly yesterday... All the other attempts to him were prayers at best. But at the same time BB is a defensive coach, so I don't know how much you can really read into this.

Edited by piratesownninjas

Saw this in MMQB...

I got the same feeling after his interview last Thursday.

Link please?

I'm not buying this one. I've seen multiple Pats games where BB and Randy were "conversating" on the sidelines.

I think the loss in the SB only increases the odds of him returning in, at a minimum, a franchise tag capacity...

Brady wants him back, he wants to be back, Tommy gets what Tommy wants...

Edited by ROYALWITCHEESE

Link please?

I'm not buying this one. I've seen multiple Pats games where BB and Randy were "conversating" on the sidelines.

I think the loss in the SB only increases the odds of him returning in, at a minimum, a franchise tag capacity...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ...ex.html?eref=T1

Page 3, third quote of the week.

Link please?

Not true,Tommy wanted to win last night :wacko:

Not true,Tommy wanted to win last night :wacko:

Okay...maybe it should have been stated this way "Tommy gets WHO Tommy wants"...be it a Hollywood starlet, super model or wide receiver with questionable speaking skillz. :D

KO'd

I am sure Moss is very frustrated after yesterday and understandly so. After he cools down, he'll need to look at his situation and evaluate what he wants to do. At this point in his career, the ring is still pretty much all that elludes him. While he may be slightly bitter about the way he was used (or not used) yesterday, if its a ring he's after, he's in as good a place as any in NE. He could probably get more money and a longer deal from someone else, but (money aside) is the grass going to really be greener for him anywhere else? Is playing a few more years at a higher salary (but possibly with less chance of a championship) what he wants to do? I guess only he knows the answer to that question and he'll need to think about that soon.

If the Pats make him an insulting offer or something like that, then I can see him moving along. For him to let his emotions influence a decision to leave NE based on yesterday, however, would be foolish, IMO. He'll want to be careful not to cut off his nose to spite his face...

They utilized him on a single drive correctly yesterday

There's nothing wrong with using Moss on deep routes to open up the middle of the field. But it's not like Brady had enough protection to hit him on the deep routes.

But at the same time BB is a defensive coach, so I don't know how much you can really read into this.

That's exactly what I was getting at. Belichick watched his high-powered offense crumble when the weather turned sour and has never needed a HOF WR to win a championship. He traded for Moss this summer because he got him for dirt-cheap. I don't see him paying anything near market value for Moss.

Link please?

MMQB = Monday Morning Quarterback. I thought that people could find that without a link.

Tommy wanted Deion Branch last year and that didn't keep BB from dealing him.

can you say hello Colts ?

No way. They could release Marvin and still be in good shape with Wayne, Gonzalez, Clark.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Okay, as a Cowboys fan...let me be the first to say it...I hope he leaves the Pats and comes to play in Big D. That would be some awesome WR corp. It would be a media field day though as we all wait to see how soon T.O. and/or Moss implode.

KO'd

MMQB = Monday Morning Quarterback. I thought that people could find that without a link.

SI is trash. I don't read it.

Tommy wanted Deion Branch last year and that didn't keep BB from dealing him.

Yeah and remember how POed he was that whole season? That was the reason they splurged on the position. You think they'll undo all that and repeat the same mistake?? I don't.

Saw this in MMQB...

Alright, so a player and a coach don't have a personal relationship? You find this surprising or noteworthy?

The odds of the Pats signing Moss to a 4+ year deal I would suspect hinge more on what happens with the assault charge thing in Florida than what happened on the field yesterday.

Yeah and remember how POed he was that whole season? That was the reason they splurged on the position. You think they'll undo all that and repeat the same mistake?? I don't.

BB signed Stallworth and Welker this off-season as well. Those guys don't exactly suck and they take up cap room as well. And remember that BB signed/traded for them FIRST. Moss wasn't a priority early on. Why would he give Randy $20+ million in guaranteed money for 4-5 years on the downside of his career on top of that?

Alright, so a player and a coach don't have a personal relationship? You find this surprising or noteworthy?

I find it surprising that they don't "conversate." Coaches typically talk to their players, no? Moss has a history of not getting along with people and I don't think that Belichick sees him as the same indispensable team-oriented guy that, say, Bruschi is.

The odds of the Pats signing Moss to a 4+ year deal I would suspect hinge more on what happens with the assault charge thing in Florida than what happened on the field yesterday.

I think that it hinges more strongly on BB's decision to re-sign Samuel and replace Seau and Bruschi. Their DBs and LBs have gotten beat big-time in the second halves of their last two playoff losses.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I think that he's as good as gone.
You can't be serious-? Why because Moss and BB aren't drinkin buddies? There is no freakin way he's gone. Don't kid yourself that he isn't the spark that makes that O high-powered. On his downside?? 22 TDs tells me otherwise. Welker is solid but needs Moss to open up the field/garner attention, and Stallworth is about as reliable as the weatherman, as is Watson, it appears.

Moss might be a putz, but there's no denying his talent. And the idea of letting him leave to keep true downside guys like Bruschi etc is crazy talk.

can you say hello Colts ?

Not without vomiting.

You can't be serious-? Why because Moss and BB aren't drinkin buddies? There is no freakin way he's gone. Don't kid yourself that he isn't the spark that makes that O high-powered. On his downside?? 22 TDs tells me otherwise. Welker is solid but needs Moss to open up the field/garner attention, and Stallworth is about as reliable as the weatherman, as is Watson, it appears.

Moss might be a putz, but there's no denying his talent. And the idea of letting him leave to keep true downside guys like Bruschi etc is crazy talk.

No, "crazy talk" is that BB is certainly going to pay Moss the $20+ million in guaranteed money that he's going to command. "Crazy talk" is that BB needs Moss to win another SB, given that he's won 5 without a HOF WR.

BB went into 2006 with crap at WR and came really f'n close to winning the AFC. I think that he'd be more than OK with going into '08 with Stallworth, Welker, Gaffney, and Watson... and maybe use that 1st-round pick from the 'Niners on a WR and sign Samuel to a long-term deal. It was his defense's inability to hold a late lead that killed them in the playoffs both this and last season.

Saw this in MMQB...

you're talking out of turn....the Patriots don't talk ('conversate') contracts during the season.

which is what Moss was refering to...Moss and BB talk plenty about football during the season.

just as Moss does with Kraft....

and 4+ years?...has Moss even said he wants to play 4 more years?

you are making big ASSumptions....

Edited by pig devilz

you're talking out of turn....the Patriots don't talk ('conversate') contracts during the season.

which is what Moss was refering to...Moss and BB talk plenty about football during the season.

just as Moss does with Kraft....

and 4+ years?...has Moss even said he wants to play 4 more years?

you are making big ASSumptions....

Im not sure about the rest,but at his age a 4 year or more deal seems like somehting he would want coming off of the season he just had.

Im not sure about the rest,but at his age a 4 year or more deal seems like somehting he would want coming off of the season he just had.

Yeah, that's the ASSumption :wacko: that I would have as well. WRs in their early '30s typically don't take two-year deals because it's their their last chance for a 4+ year deal with a big signing bonus.

I think it's much more likely that Moss stays instead of Samuel.

If it's via the franchise tag, I agree. But I really don't see BB offering a 31-year-old Randy the mega bucks in guaranteed money that he'd command as a FA.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Belichick watched his high-powered offense crumble when the weather turned sour and has never needed a HOF WR to win a championship. He traded for Moss this summer because he got him for dirt-cheap. I don't see him paying anything near market value for Moss.

Moss may say the right things, and may even realize that NE is the best shot to win a ring.

BUUUT I've rarely seen a pro athlete put his money where his mouth is. Dan Snyder or Jerry Jones (Al Davis would be in this category as well, but I have a hunch he's pretty Moss-ed out right now) will roll in and forget "market value" - they'll drop a HUGE wad in Randy's lap; and odds are he'll chase after the cash. Never mind that he's leaving a near-ideal situation.