[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mora to be Seahawk's new head coach in 2009

bigbadwolf

I was actually hoping he would get the other Seattle job down the street at U-Dub. Honestly, I wasn't really impressed with the job he did in Atlanta. I just think his strengths are recruiting, motivation, and teaching. To me his strengths are better suited for the college game. I'm only marginally agains this. Don't get me wrong, I think he has a decent chance for success, but I thought a little more veteran coach may have been in order for this veteran team.

As for the timing.....I still don't know why any coach would admit he was going into his last year. A few losses could snowball. I'm guessing the team wanted to announce this as soon as possible, since Mora is such a good recruiter, this will give them some added stability to offer to potential free agents. Thumbs up let's do this.

Holmgren is officially a lame duck HC already? Wow - expect SEA to right into the tank in 2008.

Yeah, not smart for them to leak that info already.

While Mora Sr. would've provided far more entertaining sound bytes, his son did a pretty good job of getting the Falcons defense to a high level. Not sure of how good a HC he is, but he's at least a legitimate one.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Knowing how calculated Holmgren is when he speaks, this tells me that he really thinks that his team will play harder for him if they know he is in his last year. I disagree but who knows?

I'm on your side. I think it detracts from his authority significantly and will most probably negatively impact the team.

Did they interview any black candidates yet? I thought it wasnt allowed to appoint someone as a HC when there is already one signed. Or I might have been smoking crack...

I wonder. It was being thrown around in the Jason Garrett sweepstakes that in order to take the reins of HC, after being on the staff, there has to be specific language in the Assistants contract stating that the job was theirs after the current HC leaves. And that's the way around the Rooney Rule presumably in Garrett's case if he becomes HC in Dallas without any other candidates interviewed. I don't think anyone knows that for sure.

Maybe Mora has that in his contract? Because otherwise, I believe you're right, they'd have to interview a minority candidate.

:wacko:

I wonder. It was being thrown around in the Jason Garrett sweepstakes that in order to take the reins of HC, after being on the staff, there has to be specific language in the Assistants contract stating that the job was theirs after the current HC leaves. And that's the way around the Rooney Rule presumably in Garrett's case if he becomes HC in Dallas without any other candidates interviewed. I don't think anyone knows that for sure.

Maybe Mora has that in his contract? Because otherwise, I believe you're right, they'd have to interview a minority candidate.

The word on local sports radio in Seattle is the Rooney rule only comes into play if there is a coaching vacancy. Seattle is supposed to name Mora the coach for the 2009 season today; which I guess technically means there will never be a vacant coaching position.

"On the December 19-20 conference calls, the owners strongly agreed on the principle that any club seeking to hire a head coach will interview one or more minority applicants for the position. The one exception occurs when a club has made a prior contractual commitment to promote a member of its own staff and no additional interviewing takes place (e.g. Mike Martz and the St. Louis Rams in 2000)."

The word on local sports radio in Seattle is the Rooney rule only comes into play if there is a coaching vacancy. Seattle is supposed to name Mora the coach for the 2009 season today; which I guess technically means there will never be a vacant coaching position.

Hmm. That seems a little sneaky, doesn't it?

I'm not all that fond of the Rooney Rule anyway, but that doesn't seem like it's following the "spirit" of the rule.

I'm on your side. I think it detracts from his authority significantly and will most probably negatively impact the team.

whatever

I'm not. I think they will play ballz out for Holmgren- Holmgren having his authority lessened? right.................................

I don't think it detracts from his authority or ability to lead the team at all.

Maybe Mora is black kinda like how Mariah Carey is black and we just dont' know it.

Yeah, because it's never happened with pro athletes playing for lame duck coaches before. Good call.

Who did it happen to?

I have never paid that much attention to it so I really dont know.

But if the reason those teams it did happen to was soley because the Coach was leaving ,wouldnt having your next coach on the team now take away that effect?

Edited by xtra

Who did it happen to?

I have never paid that much attention to it so I really dont know.

But if the reason those teams it did happen to was soley because the Coach was leaving ,wouldnt having your next coach on the team now take away that effect?

Well, everyone thought that Tom Coughlin was a lame-duck coach going into this last season. :wacko:

I haven't seen anything to make me think that Holmgren wouldn't command the utmost respect from his players next year. Other than that, BB is just one of the many resident blow-hards here who doesn't like to be contradicted. :D

Well, everyone thought that Tom Coughlin was a lame-duck coach going into this last season. :wacko:

I didn't get the impression that Coughlin was on the verge of being canned last year, especially since that one-year extension kept him in NY through 2008.

"He has a vision and he understands how that vision can now move forward," Tisch said. "He did not have to save his job. He did not have to talk us into anything."

The owners didn't ask Coughlin to make any changes and they said they were satisfied he was the right man to lead the Giants.

"Tom Coughlin is our coach for 2007 and hopefully for many years after that," Mara said. "That is the final decision."

When I become convinced that somebody in this organization is not capable of doing the job any longer then we are not going to hesitate to take action," Mara said. "That is not the case here. I believe that Tom is an excellent coach and I believe that we will win with him."

:D

I basically agree that Holmgren, like Parcells, is the kind of guy who DEMANDS respect from his subordinates and almost always gets it. That said, there are examples of coaches with weaker resumes who lose their team when it becomes apparent that their job security is on thin ice. Mora Sr. is a good example. After Edge tore his ACL in '01 and the Colts went into a tailspin that November, Mora criticized Peyton on local radio for turning the ball over too much. Peyton then fired back with the semi-famous, "I'm trying to save his job right now" line. If a superstar doesn't like his coach and knows that the guy's job security is in question, it's not unusual for him to push him out the door.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Maybe it works out. Maybe Mike Holmgren's storybook ending in Seattle comes true. Maybe the players will give that extra little bit to send him out in style. However, if the Seahawks happen to struggle this year, you could see players trying to play for themselves in an attempt to impress the new coach, especially when you are dealing with guys who are up for contracts or guys who could be on the verge of potentially being replaced. While it may not be a huge factor, I just don't agree that it is a risk that really needed to be taken.

I would have done the deal with Mora behind closed doors as well, and not let it get out to the public. You could still tell potential free agents that Mora will be the coach after the season.

Maybe it works out. Maybe Mike Holmgren's storybook ending in Seattle comes true. Maybe the players will give that extra little bit to send him out in style. However, if the Seahawks happen to struggle this year, you could see players trying to play for themselves in an attempt to impress the new coach, especially when you are dealing with guys who are up for contracts or guys who could be on the verge of potentially being replaced. While it may not be a huge factor, I just don't agree that it is a risk that really needed to be taken.

I would have done the deal with Mora behind closed doors as well, and not let it get out to the public. You could still tell potential free agents that Mora will be the coach after the season.

Would the scenarios above happen even if Mora wasnt named head coach?

Edited by xtra