[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mora to be Seahawk's new head coach in 2009

bigbadwolf

Aren't there some obvious short-term and long-term potential benefits in having a "seamless" transition to a new HC the "caliber" of Mora? What coach/organization do you think a player(s) would most likely give up on this upcoming season.....Holmgren, Nolan, LInehan, or Whisenhunt?

I think NFL fans love to read between the lines too much and players go out there and play until the manure hits the fan. The Hawks have generally been a legitimate SB contender for the last 3 seasons and one of the best managed teams over the last 5 years. Credit the owner (firing Whitsitt instead of Holmgren), management (although Ruskell has made at least one glaring mistake) and a head coach who has lead the team to a superbowl appearance and 4 playoff wins in 3 seasons when we had been waiting for one post-season win since Reagen's first term in office (kind of like how Holmgren turned around another organization in Wisconsin).

I see a lot of guys trying to get head coaching positions, young head coaches clinging onto their only chance to prove they are effective head coaches, and a lot of proven head coaches on the hot seat. Yea, Holmgren is coming back for one more year....bummer. Seattle could of had Wade Phillips or Norv Turner if they were quicker on the trigger :wacko:

Edited by bushwacked

Mora should just totally live it up this year... make Seattle totally regret letting his future appointment get leaked. You know, smoke some Josh Gordon, choke some strippers, start taking steroids for no reason. All in good fun. :wacko:

Maybe it works out. Maybe Mike Holmgren's storybook ending in Seattle comes true. Maybe the players will give that extra little bit to send him out in style. However, if the Seahawks happen to struggle this year, you could see players trying to play for themselves in an attempt to impress the new coach, especially when you are dealing with guys who are up for contracts or guys who could be on the verge of potentially being replaced. While it may not be a huge factor, I just don't agree that it is a risk that really needed to be taken.

I would have done the deal with Mora behind closed doors as well, and not let it get out to the public. You could still tell potential free agents that Mora will be the coach after the season.

huh? by appointing and announcing Mora it bringe more stability if anything. You seriously think a) it would be a good idea to do this behind closed doors? and :wacko: that they could actually get away with it??

Guys are gonna play hard for Holmgren- Mike demands it, and where in his career has it shown they won't? this is a joke- you all are seriously reaching with this .

Holmgren announced this was his last year- having Mora in line to take over is a positive- not a negative

Edited by wildcat2334

While Mora Sr. would've provided far more entertaining sound bytes, his son did a pretty good job of getting the Falcons defense to a high level. Not sure of how good a HC he is, but he's at least a legitimate one.

If by high level you mean middle of the road then yes, he did a pretty good job.

2004-14th in pts and 14th in yards

2005-18th and 22nd

2006-15th and 22nd

He was pretty 'meh' overall IMO. One incident that sort of epitomizes his run as Atlanta's HC was when he used a cellphone to call about the implications of a tie with Tampa in 2005... :wacko:

There were just so many things wrong with that... he was not aware of the rule banning cellphone use, no one on the field knew the implications of a tie, and who cares about a tie anyways... how about just focusing on winning the damn game.

Mora should just totally live it up this year... make Seattle totally regret letting his future appointment get leaked. You know, smoke some Josh Gordon, choke some strippers, start taking steroids for no reason. All in good fun. :wacko:

So are you saying the Vikings are inviting him to their boat party?

If by high level you mean middle of the road then yes, he did a pretty good job.

2004-14th in pts and 14th in yards

2005-18th and 22nd

2006-15th and 22nd

He was pretty 'meh' overall IMO.

That's true, but their D was in complete shambles by the time that Reeves was canned. He did improve it significantly, although not to an elite level.

Other than that, BB is just one of the many resident blow-hards here who doesn't like to be contradicted. :wacko:

Look, if you are going to introduce facts into this argument, I'm not only not going to participate any further, but I'm also going to hold my breath until you apologize.

:D

huh? by appointing and announcing Mora it bringe more stability if anything. You seriously think a) it would be a good idea to do this behind closed doors? and :wacko: that they could actually get away with it??

Guys are gonna play hard for Holmgren- Mike demands it, and where in his career has it shown they won't? this is a joke- you all are seriously reaching with this .

Holmgren announced this was his last year- having Mora in line to take over is a positive- not a negative

So by stating that there is a possibility that the players could tune out the coach in his last year means we are reaching?? I don't know, this has only happened, say 400 times in professional sports, but yeah, it's a total reach. Who cares what Mike Holmgren demands!?!? Players tend not to care about coaches "demands" if they aren't going to be playing for the coach for much longer. I'm just saying that if Holmgren never announced it was his last season, there would be no risk of losing his players, because he "demands" effort and respect as you put it. Lame duck situations have happened all across the country, in every sport, regardless of how good the coach was. I would rather have simply avoided the whole situation.

So by stating that there is a possibility that the players could tune out the coach in his last year means we are reaching?? I don't know, this has only happened, say 400 times in professional sports, but yeah, it's a total reach. Who cares what Mike Holmgren demands!?!? Players tend not to care about coaches "demands" if they aren't going to be playing for the coach for much longer. I'm just saying that if Holmgren never announced it was his last season, there would be no risk of losing his players, because he "demands" effort and respect as you put it. Lame duck situations have happened all across the country, in every sport, regardless of how good the coach was. I would rather have simply avoided the whole situation.

Shouldnt announcing Mora as next head coach counteract your worries?

Holmgren being in the last year of his contract would have brought about the same worries whether he says its his last or not.

Edited by xtra

Must be the off season, people have way too much time on their hands to let their imagination go wild. The Seahawks are a veteran team with few if any problem maker players, even SA is happy so long as he is paid. Clearly Mike was either retiring or coming back for just one season. He came back for one more run. Seahawks FO wanted Mora to be the next HC, so they signed him and announced it. If anything it should bring stability to the situation. Anyone that thinks Mike Holmgren will lose control of the team this upcoming season is smoking something imo. It's not like we are talking about the Bengals here.

Shouldnt announcing Mora as next head coach counteract your worries?

Holmgren being in the last year of his contract would have brought about the same worries whether he says its his last or not.

+1

Mora is currently a coach with the Seahawks, along with Holmgren, so it hardly follows that the current Seahawks players (that Mora is coaching) will tune out.

Of course there's the possibility that some of the players might prefer playing for Holmgren but it hardly benefits them to mail-in the 2008 season if they want to land on their feet elsewhere in 2009.

I'm on your side. I think it detracts from his authority significantly and will most probably negatively impact the team.

I disagree...I think it provides a seamless transition. Mora will be watching which players give it their all...so I don't think it will be a let down at all by those who are quality players. It is a play your heart out for Holmgren this year and an audition for Mora all in the same season. Management will be watching as well so I don't think this hurts the team but gives them direction and continuity.