[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Eagles named TE L.J. Smith their franchise player.

Randall

Surprising, although the franchise number for tight ends ($4.522 million) is manageable. Smith missed most of last season due to injuries. His absence was a big reason the Eagles performed so poorly in the red zone, but Smith is often nicked up. The Birds didn't attempt to negotiate a long-term deal with Smith, suggesting they are happy to make him earn his next contract.

Source: philadelphiaeagles.com

LJ Smith is so integral to the functioning of the O that PHI decides he ought to be paid the average of the top 5 TE salaries in the league?

Am I missing something here?

They have no other options.

There are no free agent TEs available. Even if Shockey is cut by the Giants, his agent is Rosenhaus and I doubt they bring in that type of personality.

This also makes it obvious that they don't view Celek as a starter next year.

I would expect them to try to sign him to a multi-year deal and draft another TE in the first couple rounds this year.

FWIW- LJ is decent but hurt way too much. He makes the hard catch but drops the easy ones. On the field he reminds me of J. Stevens

This might be worse than the Lions using the franchise tag on Jeff "on his" Backus.

Not even close. :wacko:

Edited by Zooty

maybe Eagles will offer McNabb in a deal where someone signed LJ Smith to the tender (I have no idea what the compensation would be)...but the Eagles get that pick and their 1st for LJ Smith, McNabb and a 5th round pick next year or some chit...

I really hope LJ Smith is gone...one way or the other...I feel like the only one who has always considered him worthless because he doesn't know the basic fundamentals to football...he just wants to be a superstar and disregards everything else..