[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Javon Walker

Return Of S&B

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Broncos Feb. 16 - 11:26 am et

Broncos RB Travis Henry, WR Javon Walker, and LB Ian Gold are all being shopped, but the team is up against the clock.

Henry's $6 million option bonus is due Feb. 29, Walker's $5.4 million bonus is due March 4, and Gold's $500,000 bonus is due March 3. Meanwhile, John Lynch's retirement decision should be made by March 4, when he is due a $1.12 million bonus.

Source: Denver Post

Broncos Feb. 16 - 11:26 am et

Broncos RB Travis Henry, WR Javon Walker, and LB Ian Gold are all being shopped, but the team is up against the clock.

Henry's $6 million option bonus is due Feb. 29, Walker's $5.4 million bonus is due March 4, and Gold's $500,000 bonus is due March 3. Meanwhile, John Lynch's retirement decision should be made by March 4, when he is due a $1.12 million bonus.

Source: Denver Post

This is typical Denver Post reporting not understanding the implications of something they should plainly have knowledge of.

Yes, DEN would save a $5.4M roster bonus by cutting Walker. However, I believe the cap hit to the team by cutting Walker & accelerating his signing bonus already paid would end up with a $8M cap hit against DEN.

To trade Walker, some other team would have to take on his contract, including the $5.4M roster bonus to be paid March 4, and the paid portion of the signing bonus would accelerate forward against DEN's cap.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that DEN would lose a substantial amount by parting ways with Walker in any manner. Of course, that's why the Denver Post writers can't seem to figure it out. They are some of the most sadly underinformed & sports-uneducated sports writers in the business.

To trade Walker, some other team would have to take on his contract, including the $5.4M roster bonus to be paid March 4, and the paid portion of the signing bonus would accelerate forward against DEN's cap.

I don't know...I could envision a situation in which a team would offer a relatively low pick (or player) to Denver and gave Walker a new contract. He obviously wouldn't sign a new deal for just pennies, but if somebody offered a 1- or 2-year deal with plenty of incentives, I could imagine him agreeing to it just to get out of Denver. :wacko:

I don't know...I could envision a situation in which a team would offer a relatively low pick (or player) to Denver and gave Walker a new contract. He obviously wouldn't sign a new deal for just pennies, but if somebody offered a 1- or 2-year deal with plenty of incentives, I could imagine him agreeing to it just to get out of Denver. :wacko:

I agree. I doubt a trade would be made without an incentive laden contract agreed to in advance.

This is typical Denver Post reporting not understanding the implications of something they should plainly have knowledge of.

Yes, DEN would save a $5.4M roster bonus by cutting Walker. However, I believe the cap hit to the team by cutting Walker & accelerating his signing bonus already paid would end up with a $8M cap hit against DEN.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that DEN would lose a substantial amount by parting ways with Walker in any manner. Of course, that's why the Denver Post writers can't seem to figure it out. They are some of the most sadly underinformed & sports-uneducated sports writers in the business.

it would be in Walker's best interest to re-negotiate...

plus his agent would like that a whole lot...

so they technically don't have to take on his current contract...because in many cases, they just re-negotiate...

who is his agent again? :wacko:

Okay, let me get this right.

DEN ought to let Walker go when they gave up a 2nd round pick for him to get his whining arse out of GB when he balked on his contract there and then extended his contract and provided healthy bonuses to him to do so, and by letting Walker go in a trade that they ought to take a low draft pick AND take an additional $2.5M cap hit, when they know that it would take a reworking of his contract in a trade so that he could play for another team for potentially substantially less money if he doesn't produce?

Ummm - yeah, I can't see why Shanahan wouldn't just jump right up & turn Walker right over to some other team.

:wacko:

Seriously, I want to work where you guys do. It must be cool to work for a company that lets you smoke dope on the job.

Edited by Bronco Billy

Okay, let me get this right.

DEN ought to let Walker go when they gave up a 2nd round pick for him to get his whining arse out of GB when he balked on his contract there and then extended his contract and provided healthy bonuses to him to do so, and by letting Walker go in a trade that they ought to take a low draft pick AND take an additional $2.5M cap hit, when they know that it would take a reworking of his contract in a trade so that he could play for another team for potentially substantially less money if he doesn't produce?

Ummm - yeah, I can't see why Shanahan wouldn't just jump right up & turn Walker right over to some other team.

Seriously, I want to work where you guys do. It must be cool to work for a company that lets you smoke dope on the job.

things have changed since then.....

a lot...

I believe that this is the longest running post (almost 2 full weeks now) that has stayed on the first page with less than 50 replies.

It's crazy I tell ya.

I remember when I was younger and the new issue of SI would come in the mail... I always turned it to the page that had all of the random stats and mini stories... This post is the huddle's version of it.

Thank you for giving us the most random knowledge ever. Seriously.

Javon Walker for Shaun Rodgers and a 4th round pick.

I can see that happening.

Broncos | Team expected to trade with Lions

Mon, 25 Feb 2008 16:27:13 -0800

The Rocky Mountain News reports the Denver Broncos are in deep discussions with the Detroit Lions about trading for DL Shaun Rogers. It is uncertain what the Broncos would give up in return for Rogers but the deal is expected to be done as early as Monday, Feb. 25, or Tuesday, Feb. 26.

There you go. :wacko:

-DD21

Broncos | Team expected to trade with Lions

Mon, 25 Feb 2008 16:27:13 -0800

The Rocky Mountain News reports the Denver Broncos are in deep discussions with the Detroit Lions about trading for DL Shaun Rogers. It is uncertain what the Broncos would give up in return for Rogers but the deal is expected to be done as early as Monday, Feb. 25, or Tuesday, Feb. 26.

There you go. :D

-DD21

If it was any team other than the Lions, I'd say that to even suggest that Detroit would trade Rogers for Walker would be retarded.

Henry maybe? Nah - that would make sense. :D

I remember when I was younger and the new issue of SI would come in the mail... I always turned it to the page that had all of the random stats and mini stories... This post is the huddle's version of it.

Thank you for giving us the most random knowledge ever. Seriously.

Bump. :wacko: