[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mike Mayock's top drfat prospects

Randall

How many 1st rounder RBs will there be in the draft?

I would say 4 is the max, but it depends on the workouts. RBs drop all the time in the draft and with the depth at the position, it would not surprise me to see one of the top guys fall to round 2. I can count on 1 hand the number of teams that really need to draft a RB.

Have to agree. He's a one-cut runner (many of those in the NFL now enjoying success) with incredible speed and more power than people give him credit for.

:wacko:

If Charles has an outstanding combine or pro day, I can see him cracking the 1st round. Coming from track and field he could very well post the best 40 time while turning heads on free weights... he benches around 300 and squats around 400.

I guess they're putting a ton of stock into one weeks worth of practices and games... I'm not a USC fan by any stretch, but I thought he had a strong year.

That's not really fair, I think 99% of the lineman would look more similar to Gallery than Joe Thomas. Thomas is an absolute monster.

thomas is a "monster"....but gallery and sam baker are both bigger specimens than thomas....thomas is way more athletic

Mayock doesn't like any RB in the top 10. He says none are Adrian Peterson. He has Mendenhall at 12 but doesn't have anyone else in the top 20. He says McFadden's legs go dead on first contact, he doesn't have great speed and often carries the ball in the wrong hand.

He likes how Mendenhall drives his legs and finishes runs.

I gotta agree with that.

You may not agree with that in 3 years. Peterson has an injury history that people seem to be completely ignoring right now. There's no way to predict specific injuries, but some players are definitely more prone to getting hurt than others. Peterson is relatively risky regarding injuries until he proves otherwise. 1 year isn't enough, IMO.

Post edit - And I am a hugh Peterson advocate, and was well before last year's draft, as being capable of being a very, very special RB.

Edited by Bronco Billy

You may not agree with that in 3 years. Peterson has an injury history that people seem to be completely ignoring right now. There's no way to predict specific injuries, but some players are definitely more prone to getting hurt than others. Peterson is relatively risky regarding injuries until he proves otherwise. 1 year isn't enough, IMO.

Post edit - And I am a hugh Peterson advocate, and was well before last year's draft, as being capable of being a very, very special RB.

That's true. Mayock's statements on NFL N this morning only dealt with playing ability. He pointed to one play when a LB (Highsmith-Miami) caught McFadden from behind.

That's true. Mayock's statements on NFL N this morning only dealt with playing ability. He pointed to one play when a LB (Highsmith-Miami) caught McFadden from behind.

I watched Ben Watson run down Champ Bailey having to come all the way across the field while Bailey was running down the sidelines with an INT.

Please don't tell me that Watson is a better athlete than Bailey is. If that is what Mayock is relying on to make his assessments, I'm going to have to take a much harder look at his ratings for players.

I watched Ben Watson run down Champ Bailey having to come all the way across the field while Bailey was running down the sidelines with an INT.

Please don't tell me that Watson is a better athlete than Bailey is. If that is what Mayock is relying on to make his assessments, I'm going to have to take a much harder look at his ratings for players.

That was just one example he gave. I doubt his judgement is based on one play.

That was just one example he gave. I doubt his judgement is based on one play.

If he is using that as a point of emphasis to downgrade McFadden, then it is relevant. McFadden isn't Peterson. He never will be. His game is vastly different. But if he is going to play at 215 lbs, he's going to be a very, very good player in the NFL, with the possibility of being great. His entire body of work at Arkansas vs SEC teams says that.

That also doesn't make him a sure thing. There is no such thing. But I sure like his chances of having a great portion of his skills & ability transfer from what I saw overall. And I'll say it one more time - he may not end up having the best career of the RBs in this class. This class is loaded.

If he is using that as a point of emphasis to downgrade McFadden, then it is relevant. McFadden isn't Peterson. He never will be. His game is vastly different. But if he is going to play at 215 lbs, he's going to be a very, very good player in the NFL, with the possibility of being great. His entire body of work at Arkansas vs SEC teams says that.

That also doesn't make him a sure thing. There is no such thing. But I sure like his chances of having a great portion of his skills & ability transfer from what I saw overall. And I'll say it one more time - he may not end up having the best career of the RBs in this class. This class is loaded.

He emphasized McFadden going down on first contact more. That's more imprtant for a RB anyway.

He liked Mendalhall because his legs never stop moving and he his burst. He likes his moves and free flowing hip movement better than Mcfadden. It's his opinion and we'll see how it works out. If both are at the Combine they may refine their positioning more.

Is there any chance of that though? If I'm McFadden, there's no way I'm at the combine.

02/05/08 - Former Arkansas tailback Darren Mc-Fadden has agreed to be represented and marketed by MMG Sports Management Group. MMG Sports Management Group is owned by former Razorbacks track All-American Michael Conley Sr. The agreement was announced Monday in a news release issued by the management agency. "Selecting MMG Sports Management was an easy choice,"Little Rock's McFadden was quoted as saying in the release. "Mike has done a great job with his clients, and representing the No. 1 overall pick in last year's NBA draft commanded serious consideration from our family as we went through the selection process. I trust him and believe that he has my best interest at heart." The release indicated NFL agent Ian Greengross, who has been selected by the McFaddens as Darren McFadden's NFL contract adviser, will work closely with MMG Sports Management in handling McFadden. "With the addition of Mr. David Cornwell as our legal advisor, I believe we have a great team assembled to handle my son's needs,"Graylon McFadden was quoted as saying in the release. McFadden was a two-time Heisman Trophy runner-up and is the leading rusher in Arkansas history. He and his family had been weighing offers for his professional representation since he declared as an underclassman Jan. 14 for April's NFL Draft. ...

McFadden is training at the Michael Johnson Performance Center in McKinney, Texas, while he prepares for the NFL Combine. - Tom Murphy, Arkansas Democrat Gazette

He may just be trying to get in shape and may not take part but maybe Mayock's rating will get to him.

02/05/08 - Former Arkansas tailback Darren Mc-Fadden has agreed to be represented and marketed by MMG Sports Management Group. MMG Sports Management Group is owned by former Razorbacks track All-American Michael Conley Sr. The agreement was announced Monday in a news release issued by the management agency. "Selecting MMG Sports Management was an easy choice,"Little Rock's McFadden was quoted as saying in the release. "Mike has done a great job with his clients, and representing the No. 1 overall pick in last year's NBA draft commanded serious consideration from our family as we went through the selection process. I trust him and believe that he has my best interest at heart." The release indicated NFL agent Ian Greengross, who has been selected by the McFaddens as Darren McFadden's NFL contract adviser, will work closely with MMG Sports Management in handling McFadden. "With the addition of Mr. David Cornwell as our legal advisor, I believe we have a great team assembled to handle my son's needs,"Graylon McFadden was quoted as saying in the release. McFadden was a two-time Heisman Trophy runner-up and is the leading rusher in Arkansas history. He and his family had been weighing offers for his professional representation since he declared as an underclassman Jan. 14 for April's NFL Draft. ...

McFadden is training at the Michael Johnson Performance Center in McKinney, Texas, while he prepares for the NFL Combine. - Tom Murphy, Arkansas Democrat Gazette

He may just be trying to get in shape and may not take part but maybe Mayock's rating will get to him.

Cool. I hope he does. It would be pretty sweet to get all those backs measured up against each other.

Albert Breer of the Dallas Morning News reports that Darren McFadden won't run at the NFL combine. He's unsure whether he'll do other physical activities.

Not a huge surprise, although many recent top backs (Adrian Peterson and Ronnie Brown) have participated. A few teams may prefer Reshard Mendenhall to McFadden in the draft, but it would still be a surprise if McFadden fell far in the top ten.

Source: Dallas Morning News

Bassturd. :wacko: