[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NYC - A Weekend Food Review

SheikYerbuti

I live about 2 hours out of the city and don't get up there nearly as much as I'd like, so when my parents came into town for the Westminster Dog Show, the Shiekette and I jumped at the chance to go up and visit. Not to see my folks. . .hellz no. To eat some NYC food, which I miss down here in the styx. Here's how the weekend went:

Saturday afternoon: Got into town and went to Morton's Steakhouse for dinner. My dad knows a big wig in the company from Florida (where he lives), so the meal was on the house except the tip. The entire meal was below average. For a top dollar steakhouse, the meal was not great. For apps, we did the lobster bisque which was thin and not rich in flavor at all, bacon wrapped scallops (3 for $15) that I could have easily done as good a job with at home except for the well made apple chutney it came with, and a bleu cheese iceberg wedge salad that was mediocre. For entrees we did the 4 pound lobster which was simply split and baked, the porterhouse and a rib eye. Both the lobster and steaks were done simply, without any flare or cooking method that made them stand out in any way. The rib eye had so much marbling that it just came off as fatty. For sides we did Lyonnaise potatoes (much too salty) and creamed spinach (terrible consistency, like elmer's glue). For dessert we had the cheesecake, which did not have a distinctive flavor of either lemon zest or vanilla. . .it was very one dimensional and in no way stood out. When it comes to high end steakhouses that can be found around the country, Ruth's Chris buries Morton's and in NYC there's no comparison to Frankie and Johnny's or Old Homestead, which are both worlds better.

Sunday morning: We couldn't do NYC without some fresh bagels, so we walked 2 doors past a practically empty Dunkin Donuts to Pick-A-Bagel, which had a line out the door. We got a dozen and brought them back to the apartment, stopping off at the Gristedes for cream cheese, lox and tomato. I don't know how or why, but freshly made New York bagels are one of the great gifts to the food world. Cross over the Hudson River and they're not the same. One Everything bagel with cream cheese, lox and tomato later and everyone was all smiles. Delicious.

Sunday afternoon: Just as with the bagels, a trip to the city can't be complete without a slice of pizza. Another food that can't be made to the same quality in Jersey. We ducked into Famous Original Ray's Pizza on 53rd and 7th. Perfect crust, perfect cheese:sauce ratio, perfect slice. Outstanding.

Sunday night: The folks went to see a Broadway show, so the Shiekette and I wandered into the NY Public Library to avoid the snow and stumbled onto an exhibit of the original manuscript of Kerouac's "On The Road", one of my all time favorite books. Great exhibit. Then we all met up after the show for dinner at the Carnegie Deli. I've eaten here maybe 100 times in my life, and I'd say 95 of those times I've ordered the Woody Allen sandwich, which looks like this (not me in the pic, I found it on google):

LINK

No words can describe this sandwich. Perfectly made, melt in your mouth corned beef and pastrami, piled high on fresh rye bread. It's a wonder of the culinary world. There is simply no deli sandwich I've ever tasted that comes close. It's $17 and worth every penny. The Shiekette and I shared one ($3 sharing charge, which still makes it $10 per person) and took half of it home with us. So the truth is, it's really 4 sandwiches worth of meat. On the side the table split a potato knish, a kasha knish and all the sour pickles we could shove down. We finished off with a slice of cheesecake that was 100 times better than the cheesecake at Morton's. This was rich, creamy and tangy with a smokey outer crust that was heavenly.

We just got home. . .and can't wait to go back.

Sunday night: The folks went to see a Broadway show, so the Shiekette and I wandered into the NY Public Library to avoid the snow and stumbled onto an exhibit of the original manuscript of Kerouac's "On The Road", one of my all time favorite books. Great exhibit. Then we all met up after the show for dinner at the Carnegie Deli. I've eaten here maybe 100 times in my life, and I'd say 95 of those times I've ordered the Woody Allen sandwich, which looks like this (not me in the pic, I found it on google):

LINK

No words can describe this sandwich. Perfectly made, melt in your mouth corned beef and pastrami, piled high on fresh rye bread. It's a wonder of the culinary world. There is simply no deli sandwich I've ever tasted that comes close. It's $17 and worth every penny. The Shiekette and I shared one ($3 sharing charge, which still makes it $10 per person) and took half of it home with us. So the truth is, it's really 4 sandwiches worth of meat. On the side the table split a potato knish, a kasha knish and all the sour pickles we could shove down. We finished off with a slice of cheesecake that was 100 times better than the cheesecake at Morton's. This was rich, creamy and tangy with a smokey outer crust that was heavenly.

We just got home. . .and can't wait to go back.

Carnegie Deli absolutely rocks. Can't actually remember ever cleaning my plate though.

Sounds awesome, I've been wanting to go to the Carnegie Deli for some time now.

I've come to a conclusion that steakhouses are overrated. We went to a wine bar/bistro Friday night and I had one of the best ribeyes ever. Perfectly cooked.

I think it depends on the steakhouse, the city, etc. I've definitely had my best steaks at steakhouses, but thats not to say I haven't had bad steaks at steakhouses or haven't ever had a good steak anywhere else.

Saturday afternoon: Got into town and went to Morton's Steakhouse for dinner. My dad knows a big wig in the company from Florida (where he lives), so the meal was on the house except the tip. The entire meal was below average. For a top dollar steakhouse, the meal was not great. For apps, we did the lobster bisque which was thin and not rich in flavor at all, bacon wrapped scallops (3 for $15) that I could have easily done as good a job with at home except for the well made apple chutney it came with, and a bleu cheese iceberg wedge salad that was mediocre. For entrees we did the 4 pound lobster which was simply split and baked, the porterhouse and a rib eye. Both the lobster and steaks were done simply, without any flare or cooking method that made them stand out in any way. The rib eye had so much marbling that it just came off as fatty. For sides we did Lyonnaise potatoes (much too salty) and creamed spinach (terrible consistency, like elmer's glue). For dessert we had the cheesecake, which did not have a distinctive flavor of either lemon zest or vanilla. . .it was very one dimensional and in no way stood out. When it comes to high end steakhouses that can be found around the country, Ruth's Chris buries Morton's and in NYC there's no comparison to Frankie and Johnny's or Old Homestead, which are both worlds better.

i don't go to steakhouses often, but i have to say, peter luger's in brooklyn is pretty damn good. if you haven't been, you should try it next time.

I think it depends on the steakhouse, the city, etc. I've definitely had my best steaks at steakhouses, but thats not to say I haven't had bad steaks at steakhouses or haven't ever had a good steak anywhere else.

It's worth checking with the restaurant if what you're ordering is USDA Prime, Choice, or lower. Prime is what to look for in a steakhouse.

Saturday afternoon: Morton's Steakhouse......When it comes to high end steakhouses that can be found around the country, Ruth's Chris buries Morton's and in NYC there's no comparison to Frankie and Johnny's or Old Homestead, which are both worlds better.

My favs are Keens and Wolfgangs. Peter Luger's is a special place and worth the trip to Brooklyn, but if you are in Manhattan there are two 'decendents' of Luger's (Wolfgang's being one and Ben and Jack's the other - havent been to B&J's)

Sunday morning: We couldn't do NYC without some fresh bagels, so we walked 2 doors past a practically empty Dunkin Donuts to Pick-A-Bagel, which had a line out the door. We got a dozen and brought them back to the apartment, stopping off at the Gristedes for cream cheese, lox and tomato. I don't know how or why, but freshly made New York bagels are one of the great gifts to the food world. Cross over the Hudson River and they're not the same. One Everything bagel with cream cheese, lox and tomato later and everyone was all smiles. Delicious.

Amen to that! I love the H&H bagel, Zabar's lox duo too.

Sunday afternoon: Just as with the bagels, a trip to the city can't be complete without a slice of pizza. Another food that can't be made to the same quality in Jersey. We ducked into Famous Original Ray's Pizza on 53rd and 7th. Perfect crust, perfect cheese:sauce ratio, perfect slice. Outstanding.

For pizza, I like the authentic brick oven type and favor Angelo's and Patsy's. In Brooklyn, Grimaldi's is special.

Sunday night: ...dinner at the Carnegie Deli.

Katz's can give Carnegie a run for their money too.

My favs are Keens and Wolfgangs. Peter Luger's is a special place and worth the trip to Brooklyn, but if you are in Manhattan there are two 'decendents' of Luger's (Wolfgang's being one and Ben and Jack's the other - havent been to B&J's)

we were at wolfgang's not long after it opened. didn't like it as much as peter luger's.

i don't go to steakhouses often, but i have to say, peter luger's in brooklyn is pretty damn good. if you haven't been, you should try it next time.

Frankie and Johnnys on 37th is great too. Its right across the street from my office. The ribeye is awesome and the place is a townhouse that was once owned by John Barrymore.