[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Worlds Best Meats

Sturphy

Correct me if I am worng, but Allen Brothers does not freeze their steaks and Omaha does. HUGH difference!

Actually, Allen Brothers does both. You can order never frozen, but all the meats I've gotten have been frozen. Again, the packaging and everything else is first rate.

I've never had Omaha, do they sell USDA Prime? Wet and dry aged? I'm gonna go look.

Looks to me like Omaha is a step down for sure. No mention of what grade their meats are. If it was Prime, or even Choice, they'd be advertising it.

USDA Prime is very hard to get. You won't find it at a grocery chain. USDA Choice is the next step down.

Looks to me like Omaha is a step down for sure. No mention of what grade their meats are. If it was Prime, or even Choice, they'd be advertising it.

USDA Prime is very hard to get. You won't find it at a grocery chain. USDA Choice is the next step down.

Try COSTCO if you have one... they sell Prime and Choice at a good price!! A lot of times they don't even use the prime label unless it's the holidays and they can get more for it. They package the Prime and Choice with the Choice label and if you know what to look for you get a great deal!

They package the Prime and Choice with the Choice label

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that they don't label USDA Prime as Choice. My guess, they don't have Prime. If it's Prime, you put a sticker on it saying as such and it costs more. And, believe me, it's better.

I haven't tried COSTCO beef, but I'll give it a try. Thanks!

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that they don't label USDA Prime as Choice. My guess, they don't have Prime. If it's Prime, you put a sticker on it saying as such and it costs more. And, believe me, it's better.

I haven't tried COSTCO beef, but I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Nope... they label both as Choice. I've made a point of getting to know the butcher at COSTCO (Greg) after asking him if he had any more whole filets when I didn't see any in the case. He said that he just got a bunch in and brought out a strip labeled Prime, when he saw that he took off the label and put choice on it saying that COSTCO labels them all Choice. I called a buddy and we bought 125 lbs of filet that day... I noticed during the holidays this year that they had a seperate bin with Prime with a higher price. I was kind of bummed but Greg still hooked me up. He said that COSTCO decided that the only time they could sell the Prime at a higher price was around the holidays.

Nope... they label both as Choice. I've made a point of getting to know the butcher at COSTCO (Greg) after asking him if he had any more whole filets when I didn't see any in the case. He said that he just got a bunch in and brought out a strip labeled Prime, when he saw that he took off the label and put choice on it saying that COSTCO labels them all Choice. I called a buddy and we bought 125 lbs of filet that day... I noticed during the holidays this year that they had a seperate bin with Prime with a higher price. I was kind of bummed but Greg still hooked me up. He said that COSTCO decided that the only time they could sell the Prime at a higher price was around the holidays.

WOW! That's awesome. What a score. Thanks for the heads up! I had no idea.

:wacko:

Good intel here.

I used to think that I had a pretty good palate until this V-day.

I cooked filet mignon (ultimately with a red wine-shallot reduction).

However, my fiance and I were curious if we could tell the difference between cheap and expensive filet. So, I bought two filets (labelled as Choice) from Giant (a large grocery store in the DC metro) for $16.99/lb. I also bought two filets at Balducci's (a little higher end than Whole Paycheck), labelled Prime, for $29.99/lb. I selected them for similar size although one of the Balducci filets was thicker. I trimmed and tied them identically.

I seasoned identically, normalizing for the thickness of one of the Balduccis. I then seared in a hot skillet followed be a hot blast in the oven to a perfect medium rare.

I cut identical looking pieces. We then fed each other a piece of each (blinded). We repeated x 1.

I got them wrong twice and she got them right twice. She said she couldn't taste any difference but she thought the Balducci steak was more tender.

Have any of y'all done a blind tasting before?

BTW, I like Costco meats...especially since this experiment indicated that I can't distinguish cheap from fairly expensive meat.

I used to think that I had a pretty good palate until this V-day.

I cooked filet mignon (ultimately with a red wine-shallot reduction).

However, my fiance and I were curious if we could tell the difference between cheap and expensive filet. So, I bought two filets (labelled as Choice) from Giant (a large grocery store in the DC metro) for $16.99/lb. I also bought two filets at Balducci's (a little higher end than Whole Paycheck), labelled Prime, for $29.99/lb. I selected them for similar size although one of the Balducci filets was thicker. I trimmed and tied them identically.

I seasoned identically, normalizing for the thickness of one of the Balduccis. I then seared in a hot skillet followed be a hot blast in the oven to a perfect medium rare.

I cut identical looking pieces. We then fed each other a piece of each (blinded). We repeated x 1.

I got them wrong twice and she got them right twice. She said she couldn't taste any difference but she thought the Balducci steak was more tender.

Have any of y'all done a blind tasting before?

BTW, I like Costco meats...especially since this experiment indicated that I can't distinguish cheap from fairly expensive meat.

The difference in Choice and Prime isn't all that much and $17/lb is still pretty pricey (though much more reasonable than $30).