[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Worlds Best Meats

Sturphy

I used to think that I had a pretty good palate until this V-day.

I cooked filet mignon (ultimately with a red wine-shallot reduction).

However, my fiance and I were curious if we could tell the difference between cheap and expensive filet. So, I bought two filets (labelled as Choice) from Giant (a large grocery store in the DC metro) for $16.99/lb. I also bought two filets at Balducci's (a little higher end than Whole Paycheck), labelled Prime, for $29.99/lb. I selected them for similar size although one of the Balducci filets was thicker. I trimmed and tied them identically.

I seasoned identically, normalizing for the thickness of one of the Balduccis. I then seared in a hot skillet followed be a hot blast in the oven to a perfect medium rare.

I cut identical looking pieces. We then fed each other a piece of each (blinded). We repeated x 1.

I got them wrong twice and she got them right twice. She said she couldn't taste any difference but she thought the Balducci steak was more tender.

Have any of y'all done a blind tasting before?

BTW, I like Costco meats...especially since this experiment indicated that I can't distinguish cheap from fairly expensive meat.

Mojo... a filet is probably one of the hardest comparison's that you could ever make, due to the naturally low fat content in filet's there really is not a hugh difference between prime or choice! Try it with a rib eye or NY strip and you can def taste a difference... or take it one step higher (looks like you don't mind spending a little $ ) get some Waygu (Kobe) vs. Choice and try them side by side! The Waygu is so rich I can only eat once every month or two...

Mojo... a filet is probably one of the hardest comparison's that you could ever make, due to the naturally low fat content in filet's there really is not a hugh difference between prime or choice! Try it with a rib eye or NY strip and you can def taste a difference... or take it one step higher (looks like you don't mind spending a little $ ) get some Waygu (Kobe) vs. Choice and try them side by side! The Waygu is so rich I can only eat once every month or two...

Waygu was almost too soft for me.