[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dan Fouts & Tim Bryant done at ABC

Wolverines Fan

I'm surprised. I think they've done great work. And we're stuck with an idiot like Kornheiser on MNF.

POSTED 8:22 a.m. EST, February 11, 2008

FOUTS, BRANT OFF ABC

While rehashing the news about Monday Night Football that was first broken yesterday at Pro Football Talk, Michael Hiestand of USA Today also reports that two college football announcers from the "ESPN on ABC" West Coast broadcasts won't be back next season.

Per Hiestand, Dan Fouts and Tim Brant, who partnered mostly on Pac 10 games, will not have their contracts renewed.

That's a fairly surprising development, as both were once considered among the top announcers in the broadcasting business. Fouts, in particular, is a Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback who has experience announcing both college and pro football, and working as both a play-by-play man and a color commentator. He's a versatile talent who won't be out of work long.

So why would Fouts and Brant be let go? It may be that they talk too much about the game on the field. Increasingly, TV broadcasts are about storylines and attracting casual fans, and Fouts and Brant tended more toward Xs and Os analysis. They'll be missed.

That's a fairly surprising development, as both were once considered among the top announcers in the broadcasting business. Fouts, in particular, is a Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback who has experience announcing both college and pro football, and working as both a play-by-play man and a color commentator. He's a versatile talent who won't be out of work long.

I hope this is true. I really like his commentary.

It may be that they talk too much about the game on the field. Increasingly, TV broadcasts are about storylines and attracting casual fans, and Fouts and Brant tended more toward Xs and Os analysis.

Think this is it in a nutshell. Most of the time I wonder if I am watching the same game as the announcers. With Fouts I know I am. The one good thing out of this is that I know he will end up somewhere. Guy is too good.

Think this is it in a nutshell. Most of the time I wonder if I am watching the same game as the announcers. With Fouts I know I am. The one good thing out of this is that I know he will end up somewhere. Guy is too good.

Too much focus on the "casual fan" - IMO what you do is get guys like Fouts (and Jaws and Vermeil) to take the casual fans, get them to understand exactly what they're seeing, and turn them into avid/crazed fans who understand the game.

But I'm kinda crazy like that.

Fouts is a great color guy. Why doesn't he get any respect? I'll take him over Aikman, Simms, Collinsworth, or any of the other NFL commentators.

You're exactly right. However, ABC has him doing play-by-play, which he is not nearly as good at.

This is nuts.

Oh, and broncos will be along shortly to tell you that Fouts sucks. :wacko:

And Vick is the second coming of Jesus...

But back to the point, I do hope Fouts ends up somewhere like Fox or CBS. I've heard a couple of his games and I like him more than most announcers that are on today.

Nailed it. Fouts doesn't scream and shout, doesn't talk down to you, doesn't miss plays by droning on about Tony Romo's latest tart and actually knows what he's talking about: ergo, he's no use for TV in 2008.

God help us all.