[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Belichick 'taping since 2000'

slickvick

I am just saying that is old news that he has been taping all along. And it doesn't make me feel any better or worse that they cheated. its not me or my family or friends that did it. I enjoyed their superbowls but if they get taken away it does not effect me in the least. Clemens cheated as well but they are not going to take his cy youngs away. He just won't get in the HOF.

I think BB is a good coach but not someone I would want to associate myself with.

well at least you aren't a 100% blind homer and fwiw, just because it is "old news" doesn't mean it isn't relative news.

I think we allready knew this. Doesn't make it ok, doesn't make it better in any way, and it's quite relative. They'll deserve whatever aditional punishmnet comes their way, if any.

My only hope, as a football fan first, Patriots fan second, is that if the Gubment decides they need to look into such things, they look further than just NE. Just because the 'best' team has been doing it, don't think for a second that other teams were not doing it as well. A la Barry Bonds. Yes, the gubment wanted to get the big fish, but at the same time, you better catch all the little trout along the way. If you're gonna fix it, you need to fix it entirely.

I have no idea how much goes on a tape or anything but doing it for 8 years doesn't mean they've taped every game for 8 years. I guess we'll wait to see if any more come out.

If they felt the need to tape the Jets game I am guessing the taped pretty much every game each year. :wacko:

If they felt the need to tape the Jets game I am guessing the taped pretty much every game each year. :wacko:

I'm not claiming anything, but it has always struck me as odd that in his previous stint as a head coach (1991-1995), Belichick had a below .500 record (36-44), was considered a failure and was fired.

A few seasons later he ends up as the HC in New England, and after a 5-11 campaign, begins ripping off winning season after winning season with a QB that everyone completely overlooked. Honestly - what other big time NFL QB came out of college as a complete unknown and started winning Super Bowl MVPs?? Elway, Marino, Montana, Young, Namath, etc. etc. These guys were all big names and drafted early.

Those divisional titles, conference titles, and Super Bowl wins all looked a bit too easy for me. It wasn't as though the Pats had the best talent on the field, but they just always seemed to be in the right place at the right time.

Perhaps it was just good fortune and coaching, but I truly wonder what else might be behind it all.

Who knows the number of but videotaping walk-through has been a pretty common practice for years. Kevin Gogan made a great point on local sports radio in Seattle yesterday, I'm paraphrasing but he said something along the lines of--if you walk onto the field for walk-through and don't think you are getting video taped you are entering the game already behind. The real walk-throughs happen behind closed doors in the hotel the night before the game. The pre-game walk through is just running your bread and butter plays anyways.

As far as Belichick, both the NFL and court of public opinion need to decide.....when is enough, enough?? What more do we need to see from this guy before he is suspended? Sports at their true essence are based equality in competition. Quite simply, this crosses that line. Honestly, I've seen enough. Sports mean too much to too many people to be treated like this. Sports will never be free of bad eggs and cheats, but this is ridiculous. The obvious cheats need to be gone.

Who knows the number of but videotaping walk-through has been a pretty common practice for years. Kevin Gogan made a great point on local sports radio in Seattle yesterday, I'm paraphrasing but he said something along the lines of--if you walk onto the field for walk-through and don't think you are getting video taped you are entering the game already behind. The real walk-throughs happen behind closed doors in the hotel the night before the game. The pre-game walk through is just running your bread and butter plays anyways.

That's always been my position. I really don't think that seeing another team's pre-game walk-through would make that much of a difference.

That said, I agree that BB needs to be taught a lesson.

I hate to say it, but a previous poster got it right. It is in the league's best interest to make this thing go away fast. Goodell caught a break with this whole Clemens inquisition, perfect timing for the NFL to sweep this thing clean without much fanfare.

But will it really go away?

The questions about the Pats integrity certainly won't. We will probably never know the extent to which they taped illegally, or what effect it had in the outcome of games. That can never be quantified. But much like the last decade plus of baseball (steroids - HGH) the Patriots legacy is tainted.

On one hand, I know that cheating/spying is and always has been a part of the game. And at the very least one has to be impressed if BB managed to pull this off for the last 8 seasons before getting shut down. If his aspiration was to cheat his way to the top one has to be impressed with a job well done.

On the other hand, as a gambler and a fan of fair play I despise him, not only for cheating but for bringing this cloud of doubt over the league.

That being said, I fully understand why Goodell did what he did. It is one thing to have a nation of football fans speculating about whether the Patriots cheated their way to a dynasty, and quite another for them to know it for a fact.

I'm not claiming anything, but it has always struck me as odd that in his previous stint as a head coach (1991-1995), Belichick had a below .500 record (36-44), was considered a failure and was fired.

On the other hand, as a gambler and a fan of fair play I despise him, not only for cheating but for bringing this cloud of doubt over the league.

That being said, I fully understand why Goodell did what he did. It is one thing to have a nation of football fans speculating about whether the Patriots cheated their way to a dynasty, and quite another for them to know it for a fact.

I was pointing out that run in Clevland a long time ago, before the cheating scandal, when I doubted BB could all of a sudden turn around his losing ways (I then attributed it to his now departed Assistants). Unfortunately for the NFL, everybody outside of NE is going to bring this up whenever talk of the greatest teams of all time is discussed.

For my part, I believe that the sort of taping that was done provided a clear benefit to the Patriots. What they would do is tape the defensive signals and then match it up to game tape after the fact to see what a team did after a certain signal was given. Not just "blitz", but OLB blitz, or right corner blitz, or DT stunt left - very specific stuff.

You can't tell me that that sort of info wouldn't provide a clear cut advantage the next time you met that same team and you knew their calls.

Communicating via the headset and in-helmet communication device:

Bill Belichik: "Tom, the Dolphins (or whoever) DC grabbed his crotch. It's gonna be an inside blitz from the right linebacker"

Tom Brady: "Got it" And proceeds to audible at the line to take advantage of that knowledge.

It would seem that all the accolades, wins, championships, etc.. do warrant being tainted.

Just my :wacko:

For my part, I believe that the sort of taping that was done provided a clear benefit to the Patriots. What they would do is tape the defensive signals and then match it up to game tape after the fact to see what a team did after a certain signal was given. Not just "blitz", but OLB blitz, or right corner blitz, or DT stunt left - very specific stuff.

You can't tell me that that sort of info wouldn't provide a clear cut advantage the next time you met that same team and you knew their calls.

Communicating via the headset and in-helmet communication device:

Bill Belichik: "Tom, the Dolphins (or whoever) DC grabbed his crotch. It's gonna be an inside blitz from the right linebacker"

Tom Brady: "Got it" And proceeds to audible at the line to take advantage of that knowledge.

It would seem that all the accolades, wins, championships, etc.. do warrant being tainted.

Just my :wacko:

It would seem that way to us, but so far, every oposing team coach that I've seen speak about the matter has said that the taping was a non-issue, including the Steelers who were taped the season of the Super Bowl in the pre-season, and then lost to the Patriots in the post season. If a team like the Steelers, a 90's & 00's rival of the Pats, says it's a non-issue, I'm not going to get overly worked up about it.

Yet.

I am reserving final judgment, and hope if Specter gets the gubmnet to investigate further that they investigate all teams to eliminate it from the league alltogether.

Edited by Bring Back Pat!!!

I am just saying that is old news that he has been taping all along.

I think we allready knew this.

you pats fans are pretty funny. for a long time there were rumors that the pats were cheating in this fashion, and of course their apologist fans would be yelling, "hey, those are just unsubstantiated rumors, you are just jealous". then when they get stone cold busted, "this is old news, everybody knew all along they were doing this. why are you dredging up the past? you must just be jealous".

Edited by Azazello1313

you pats fans are pretty funny. for a long time there were rumors that the pats were cheating in this fashion, and of course their apologist fans would be yelling, "hey, those are just unsubstantiated rumors, you are just jealous". then when they get stone cold busted, "this is old news, everybody knew all along they were doing this. why are you dredging up the past? you must just be jealous".

its almost like the worse the news gets , the more nonchalant and blaise the answers are

Um, no. We allready knew this, and they were punished for it. There hasn't been anything yet that the league didn't know when thay punished them. That's all. It's still wrong. I still don't like that my team did it. But there isn't anything new to get up in arms over. The league knew BB had been taping since 2000, and they had been told to stop and didn't, so when the Jets caught them, the league punished them. To me, this is still the same crime, I just haven't heard anything new that we didn't allready know. :wacko: maybe I'm missing something here?

And trust me, I'm one of the least appologetic Pats fans around. I try to look at everything they do as evenly as I can. Win. Lose. Cheat. Be cheated. I try to be as fair as possible in my analysis.

I personally think the subject should just Die! Come on if the Steelers and other teams don't care why should the Senate! :D

Specter should be working on more important things then trying to get a name for him self or autographs. It's a waste for tax payer’s money. :D

But that's just me and I'm tired of the subject!!! :wacko:

I still feel strongly that if this were about any other team in the NFL, it would be a non-story. Other teams have admitted to having done exactly the same thing at different times over the years. Maybe they should drag Don Shula in to talk too, since he said he'd done it as well? Parcells thinks it's no big deal, maybe Specter ought to talk to him as well?

belichick needs to be thrown out of the league if any of this other stuff is true. he's embarrassing the league we all love and im tired of seeing the scumbag's face.

Let's take everyone who's ever done anything illegal twice out as well. Shawn Merriman needs to go as well... He's failed two drug tests so he needs to go as well.

:wacko: