[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Atlanta Falcons have released Alge Crumpler...

irish

Atlanta saved very little against the cap by cutting him and there is a lot of buzz about his injuries being rather serious. He looked like a slow fatty last year when I watched him play. My enthusiasm is tempered.

A little over 5 million in cap room for '08 is nothing to sneeze at when you're as strapped as the Falcons are AND trying to attract players to rebuild.

The injury could be more serious than anyone is letting on but he has missed 4 games since 2001. In '06, he banged up his knee, played through it, had it scoped in the offseason of '07. He was cleared to practice and play during TC and preseason but suffered setbacks. It seemed to me like he shouldn't have practiced a down during preseason but was trying to get back to set an example and familiarize himself with Petrino's new offense.

When regular season came, his knee wasn't 100% but played through it which culminated in having to be shutdown at the tail end of an already wasted season.

It's really best for all parties... Atlanta cleared room to begin rebuilding and get a jump on free agency this year. Alge becomes a hot commodity via free agency for a middle of the pack or playoff team who's looking for a boost. Meanwhile, he doesn't waste the few years he has left on a team that's at least 2-3 years from having any hope of making the playoffs.

Edited by kingfish247

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kingfish couldn't they get something for him in a trade?

Possibly but nothing that would be worth keeping him on the roster for and possibly impeding any possible moves they would like to make in free agency or the draft.

I'm not sure on the exact dates but I'm pretty sure that trades can't happen until after about March 1st. Free agency opens right around the same time. Between the time and effort it would've taken to work out a trade and the cap implications of his salary being on the books... Atlanta would've missed out on the opening of free agency.

It's the best for all parties involved... Alge is a free agent before the period opens allowing him to negotiate freely with any club that's interested and Atlanta can begin rebuilding. Had they kept him around as trade bait, there probably would've been a situation similar to that of Trent Green last year... a silly game of chicken (compounded by the salary cap... but that's a completely whole other topic) that doesn't benefit anyone involved--the current team overvaluing, the prospective teams undervaluing, and the player stuck in the middle.

Edited by kingfish247

Atlanta saved very little against the cap by cutting him and there is a lot of buzz about his injuries being rather serious. He looked like a slow fatty last year when I watched him play. My enthusiasm is tempered.

I don't know if Crumpler would be worth the money, but he's certainly an upgrade over a washed-up Marcus Pollard.

I don't know if Crumpler would be worth the money, but he's certainly an upgrade over a washed-up Marcus Pollard.

No doubt about that. In a bad year Alge had almost 40 rec. for almost 400 yards and 3 tds. At least 4 teams have already expressed interest in him.

Free agent Alge Crumpler would prefer to stay in the NFC South, according to ESPN's John Clayton.

The Saints need tight end help most in the division, though the Bucs use two TE sets often and have shown the strongest initial interest. Carolina probably won't go overboard spending on Crumpler, 30, with Jeff King, 25, on the rise.

Add the Titans to the list of teams showing interest in free agent TE Alge Crumpler.

Crumpler expects to meet with the Titans later this week at the NFL Scouting Combine, but the team will have some serious competition. Eleven teams have already expressed interest since Crumpler's release from the Falcons.

Source: Nashville Tennessean

Cleaning house. Any word on Brooking?

FWIW... I've only heard rumors/speculation that Brooking might be a cut... from here :wacko:

Milloy and Dunn, amongst others, were rumored to be on the block before last Friday's cut. Pretty sure more cuts are coming this week but at this point who and exactly when seems to be just speculation.

FWIW... I've only heard rumors/speculation that Brooking might be a cut... from here :wacko:

Milloy and Dunn, amongst others, were rumored to be on the block before last Friday's cut. Pretty sure more cuts are coming this week but at this point who and exactly when seems to be just speculation.

Dunn is 33, and they'd be crazy to keep paying him big bucks. Milloy also doesn't look like the play-maker that he was in NE, so I wouldn't be surprised if he were cut as well.

I'd think that they'd have to keep Brooking around, to give them somebody to rebuild around and to give the team veteran leadership and a sense of identity. But who knows...

Dunn is 33, and they'd be crazy to keep paying him big bucks. Milloy also doesn't look like the play-maker that he was in NE, so I wouldn't be surprised if he were cut as well.

I'd think that they'd have to keep Brooking around, to give them somebody to rebuild around and to give the team veteran leadership and a sense of identity. But who knows...

Definitely agree on Dunn. Milloy is a liability in pass coverage but is still pretty good vs the run. Brooking still has a few good years in him.

AJC columnist, Mark Bradley, made some good points about the new regime, new attitude, new culture... :wacko:

And here we see why it was essential that an outsider be put in charge of personnel — as we know, Arthur Blank loves his players, and with such an affectionate owner a roster can easily become a retirement home for men who technically haven’t retired.

Yes, Crumpler is a famously nice guy, but the 2007 Falcons had lots of nice guys, and you know where they finished? Last in the NFC South.

Milloy, Dunn, and Brooking are solid players and good guys... but that doesn't always translate to a winning franchise. Not to say you want bad guys or whatever but keeping guys around because they're 'solid' or 'nice' doesn't set a standard for consistent success in the NFL.

• 2 weeks later...
Uh, why? Vince Young wouldn't throw to his roommate from college.

Not saying Crumpler will be Huge there, however he is better than what they had before. And the combo of Scaife, Hartsock and Troupe put up about 130 fantasy points from the TE position last year. Combined they were targetted 102 times which went for 63 rec. 606 yards and 1 td. I believe Crumpler will be able to better the TD production from last year and post numbers similar to what I've just listed which would have him ranked no question in the Top 15 and very possibly in the Top 10. Crumpler needs to show he is healthy, can stay healthy and can catch the ball more consistently.

Not saying Crumpler will be Huge there, however he is better than what they had before. And the combo of Scaife, Hartsock and Troupe put up about 130 fantasy points from the TE position last year. Combined they were targetted 102 times which went for 63 rec. 606 yards and 1 td. I believe Crumpler will be able to better the TD production from last year and post numbers similar to what I've just listed which would have him ranked no question in the Top 15 and very possibly in the Top 10. Crumpler needs to show he is healthy, can stay healthy and can catch the ball more consistently.

Crumpler has'nt had a decent QB. Not that IMO, he will now either. :wacko:

That's nice and and all, but what GTS is getting at is that Scaife put up some pretty decent numbers when Collins was under center last year, and for whatever reason, the TE's weren't involved in the passing game when Young was playing. From what I saw last year, I'm not sure that Gimpy/Older Crumpler is much of an upgrade. I'm not sure what Crumpler's contract is with the Titans, but it doesn't seem as though teams were tripping over themselves to sign the 4-time pro bowler.